Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Making a box joint jig

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 20:38:28 -0600, Morris Dovey
wrote:

Maybe - I just installed the add-on, now I need to figure out how to
turn jpg files into png files.

If you're using Windows XP, then you already have the means. Open an
image using Windows picture and fax viewer, click on the 'save' icon,
select 'save as type', pick png and save it wherever you want. A new
image is made and the old one isn't changed in any way.

Actually, you should save all initial images in some format other than
jpg since they use a 'lossy' format. Every time you save a jpg image,
it loses a fraction of its sharpness. Use jpg only if you're sure
there won't be any more editing of an image.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris

I've installed it and will need to play with it to get me up to speed.

Get the plugins as well, if you haven't already.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 08:20:35 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

Han wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote in :

Hoosierpopi wrote:
Morris wrote:
This drawing should be reasonably self-explanitory, but I'm already
planning to turn it into a web page with a bit of text to provide a
bit of explanation with each drawing.
Not for me Morris. Not by a long shot. I like your stuff as a rule
and value your contributions here and elsewhere. But I could not make
heads nor tails (no pun intended) out of those "drawings."

Lemme know when you do do the web page you do do so well.
Ok - there's a (rough draft) web page at

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/LapJointJig/

I can't help feeling that people are looking (insisting?) on a lot
more complexity than there really is.

The whole point of the jig is spelled out in the paragraph just above
Fig. 7 - but please start at the top and work your way down to that
point.

If anyone gets lost, please let me know _where_ the page stopped
making sense.

Now it makes sense. It is indeed simplicity itself!

I just _knew_ that if I made the pictures bigger it'd be easier to
understand! ;-)

Well, maybe to Gnu Yawkuhs...

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 22:45:45 +0800, the infamous "diggerop"
toobusy@themoment scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 02:29:13 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:
confusing.

Also, WTF is a "lap joint" to you?

Dear Larry,
I can see your education has been sadly neglected, so I will attempt to
explain the concept.
A "lap joint" is a venue where men can congregate and experience lap
dancing.

Oh, I'm well aware of those places, Dop. But that wasn't the sort of
reference Mo was drawing. (The kerfs were way too narrow for the type
of ladies who hang out in lap joints, kwim,V?)

A lap dance is a type of erotic dance performed in some gentleman's clubs in
which the patron is seated, and the dancer is either in immediate contact
with the patron, or within a very short distance.
Hope this clears up your confusion. : )

Mo gave pics. Where are -your-reference photos, sir?

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
-- Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 07:26:27 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

On Nov 16, 9:45*am, "diggerop" toobusy@themoment wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 02:29:13 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:
confusing.

Also, WTF is a "lap joint" to you?

Dear Larry,
I can see your education has been sadly neglected, so I will attempt to
explain the concept.
A "lap joint" is a venue where men can congregate and experience lap
dancing.
A lap dance is a type of erotic dance performed in some gentleman's clubs in
which the patron is seated, and the dancer is either in immediate contact

.
.
.
.
with the patron, or within a very short distance.

Speak for yourself.

Robatoy's braggin' _again_? His mama never gave him no toys.

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
-- Thomas Paine

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 22:14:14 -0600, Morris Dovey
wrote:

http://www.irfanview.com/

I've installed it and will need to play with it to get me up to speed.

Morris, you don't need to install anything ~ not unless you want to
edit the images in some way (and that includes size). Most modern
image viewing programs have the ability to save images in some other
format, like png.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 12:26:10 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 02:29:13 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

Now reference the friggin' fence or crosscut sled, please. It's
supposed to be at the bottom of the pic, right? (Your whole op is
done in mid-air as shown.) Maybe some elevation pics would help, too.

There's a lot of stuff in my shop that's "up in the air". Why should
this be any different?

2 Points, sir.

Reference to normal blade crosscut height and stock height is
confusing.

I don't talk good, too. Suggested wording?

Don't talk "well", ya silly savage. Oh, just redo the entire page,
will ya, and add dims for the blocks you cut and reference them in the
pics. It removes any obfuscation. A "C" showing on the one pic and an
upside down "C" showing on the rotated jig would be illustratorily
effusive as well. (Just try to find -that- one in a dict!)

Also, WTF is a "lap joint" to you? http://fwd4.me/4WP

I like diggerop's definition.

Their kerfs are larger than your kerfs. /neener

Show sample output from this jig on the page, please.

sigh Ok - I'll shoot the jig and the output _together_ and put /that/
at the top of the page.

Label which is which, too, OK? gd&r

That's the viewpoint for all of the drawings, yes.

P.S: I'm a guy who, usually, can take one look at a complex exploded
drawing and know both what the item does and easily figure out how to
build one for myself. Spatial relationships are no problem for me. I
can't seem to do that/figure those from any of your drawings, Morris.

I can (sorta) grasp where you're coming from - but with /this/ gizmo
there's nothing complex to explode and the only dimension that has any
significance at all is the width of the kerf.

No, you don't quite grasp it. I can savvy the complex stuff but yours
is _too_ simple. Because you left out any references and showed 'em
only in 2 dims, what could be an elevation could also be an overhead
perspective. There's no way to tell.

sigh

Yeah, me too. I've zapped the small drawings of both lap and box joint
jigs. My intent was to show how simple they can be, but instead only
added to the general confusion. My apologies to all.

50 lashes with a long, limp, wet Robatoy noodle for you!

I'd have spent more time with you on this tonight but my muscles are
so sore I'm going to bed. Squatting 8 hours a day doing this client's
17" tall deck is killing my thigh muskuls sumpin' fierce. Thank God
it's going to be _raining_ for the next 3 days...My ibuprofen has met
its match.

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
-- Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 12:51:49 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

Morris Dovey wrote:

sigh Ok - I'll shoot the jig and the output _together_ and put /that/
at the top of the page.

Photo of jig and joint added.

Huh, all I see is some Christian symbol and an upside down, poorly
formed L.

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
-- Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:42:45 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

Morris,

Build the jig, send it and a video to Larry. LOL..

Sorry Larry but this is getting funny.

Don't forget the printed, full color 'splain with it, eh?

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
-- Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 23:58:46 -0600, Morris Dovey
wrote:

Now I'm planning to revisit my camera instruction book to see what
non-jpeg formats it offers...

Very good to know - thank you.

You're welcome. Just a little bit more information. jpg is good for
saving images since it compresses them to a very small, but still
viewable size. That's about its only use. The act of uncompressing a
jpg (behind the scenes act) for editing is what slightly damages the
image and then you're stuck with that slight segregation when you
resave it.

If you compare a jpg to the same png image, you'll see that the png is
quite a bit larger. But then, the png can be safely edited without any
image loss, not so with the jpg.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Now I'm planning to revisit my camera instruction book to see what
non-jpeg formats it offers...

Don't know what camera you have, but it likely also offers a raw image
saving format which saves all information possible. Files sizes are
absolutely huge and not what most people would consider using except
maybe for professional photographers and people like that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey said:

Morris Dovey wrote:
Greg G. wrote:

With an image editor, of course. If you have a JPG posted online I'll
convert it for you and post if need be.

Thanks! I have a 48x48 jpg image at

Morris,

OK - It was my birthday and I went out for a bit and missed you
message. If you still need the pix they are here. As for the outing,
Oh, to be twenty-five again. I think they were just being nice. ;-)

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...ges/Avatar.png
and
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...ges/X-face.png

Cheers!

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Well, maybe to Gnu Yawkuhs...

Do I resemble that remark?
(Original Dutchman, living in/near NYC since 1976)

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:42:45 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

Morris,

Build the jig, send it and a video to Larry. LOL..

Sorry Larry but this is getting funny.

Don't forget the printed, full color 'splain with it, eh?

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
-- Thomas Paine

Your a good sport Larry. '~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 07:35:00 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:42:45 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

Morris,

Build the jig, send it and a video to Larry. LOL..

Sorry Larry but this is getting funny.

Don't forget the printed, full color 'splain with it, eh?

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
-- Thomas Paine

Your a good sport Larry. '~)

Of course I am. (Now send money. Lots of small bills in a brown paper
bag in the middle of the night, please.)

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
-- Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 21:50:16 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

Greg G. wrote:

With an image editor, of course. If you have a JPG posted online I'll
convert it for you and post if need be.

Thanks! I have a 48x48 jpg image at

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Misc/Avatar.jpg

(extracted from Morris.jpg in the same directory)

My ancient PaintShop Pro doesn't understand png files

Windows Paint (XP) can talk PNG, GIF, TIFF, JPG, and 4 flavors of BMP.
I think the freeware IrfanView can convert for you, too. Good prog.
www.irfanview.com

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
-- Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 17 Nov 2009 11:32:27 GMT, the infamous Han
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Well, maybe to Gnu Yawkuhs...

Do I resemble that remark?

You betcha.

(Original Dutchman, living in/near NYC since 1976)

I thoght you might be from Hollandaise.

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
-- Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 17, 2:41*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

the freeware IrfanView can Good prog.www.irfanview.com

Thanks for that link. I had a copy once, loved it and lost it. I used
it with FAXES to great advantage.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 16, 11:35*pm, wrote:

"Use jpg only if you're sure there won't be any more editing of an
image."

Now, that's an OT I'm happy I read! Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm just a lurker but I learned quick about electrical advice. I hold
a master electricians license and 40 years on the job. Learned real
quick to keep quiet.

Mike M

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:49:06 -0600, Swingman wrote:

Robatoy wrote:
A very good recommendation, Lew. Thanks for that.

Some things never change:

Welcome!

Read the FAQ ... mainly so that you will know what a "SWMBO", the
various classifications of a "gloat", "jummywood", and "neener" is/are
without asking. Be sure to learn the more up-to-date, modern spelling of
"Craftsman" ... and how to use Google. Make certain that if you use
something besides a Beismeyer or Unifence, you don't mention it.
Learning the 99 NEC by heart is not mandatory, but helpful. Know that
Leon is gruff, but knowledgeable, Charlie S is both friendly and
knowledgeable, Doug W actually does know the NEC by heart, Larry J. is
funny ...most of the time, Jon, while he sometimes thinks he's Nahm, is
smart enough to use LoneStar Beer in his chili, Walt A. confesses to
doing quirky things with wood, but is a helluva storyteller; Lew H.
obviously owns stock in a book about yacht joinery, Steve K makes the
best planes since Bailey, Eric M plays "Cabinetman" on TV, 'Mark and
Juanita' really know their stuff ...but we suspect Mark is just the
mouthpiece, and if you are female and young, or have a daughter who is,
keep an eagle eye on Apeman at all times. Above all, feel free to
initiate weekly political/sociological discussion topics that have
absolutely nothing to do with woodworking whenever the whim strikes you,
with or without the obligatory "OT" in the subject line.

--
http://www.wood-workers.com/users/swingman/
Last update: 5/20/02

/welcome!

Trying to remember the guys name who hosted gratis wood-workers.com web
sites for wreckers??

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote in :

http://www.iedu.com/De

Morris,

I don't know why but I keep getting a 404 Not Found error when I click on
the links you provided.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve said:

Morris Dovey wrote in :

http://www.iedu.com/De

Morris,

I don't know why but I keep getting a 404 Not Found error when I click on
the links you provided.

Any ideas??

I'm not Morris, but watch the line wrap? Unless Florida has decided
to block non-commercial, educational content.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:19:16 -0800 (PST), the infamous Hoosierpopi
scrawled the following:

On Nov 16, 11:35*pm, wrote:

"Use jpg only if you're sure there won't be any more editing of an
image."

Now, that's an OT I'm happy I read! Thanks

The best bet is to save the highest resolution graphic you have in a
non-lossy format (tiff, psd, bmp, etc) and then make modified and/or
compressed copies for use everywhere else.

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
-- Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:42:20 -0800, the infamous Mike M
scrawled the following:

I'm just a lurker but I learned quick about electrical advice. I hold
a master electricians license and 40 years on the job. Learned real
quick to keep quiet.

Mike M

Was that for liability purposes or due to the massive amounts of
incoming flak from the heavily opinionated (and highly wrong) wannabes
out there, Mike? ("I didn't have any solder so I used chewing gum.")

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
-- Thomas Paine

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 03:05:39 -0500, the infamous Greg
scrawled the following:

Steve said:

Morris Dovey wrote in :

http://www.iedu.com/De

Morris,

I don't know why but I keep getting a 404 Not Found error when I click on
the links you provided.

Any ideas??

I'm not Morris, but watch the line wrap? Unless Florida has decided
to block non-commercial, educational content.

Judging by the half-link shown above, Steve is, indeed, suffering from
line wrap problems. The actual link is below. Note that it does not
end in "De" http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/LapJointJig/

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
-- Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote in :

http://www.iedu.com/De

Morris,

I don't know why but I keep getting a 404 Not Found error when I click on
the links you provided.

Steve...

If you were looking for the JPEG files, they were judged too small,
lacking proper prose obfuscation, and in need of visual proof that the
designs worked as advertised. moue

I deleted them from the server.

The box joint jig _still_ lacks photos, but you can find links to
remnants of both designs in my project menu at:

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote in :

Steve wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote in :

http://www.iedu.com/De

Morris,

I don't know why but I keep getting a 404 Not Found error when I
click on the links you provided.

Steve...

If you were looking for the JPEG files, they were judged too small,
lacking proper prose obfuscation, and in need of visual proof that the
designs worked as advertised. moue

I deleted them from the server.

The box joint jig _still_ lacks photos, but you can find links to
remnants of both designs in my project menu at:

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/

Morris,

Many thanks, both for the explanation and the update. These look very
interesting, and I can't wait to try them out.

Thanks again,
Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

An inspector once said arguing with the electrical inspecter is like
wrestling with pigs. Eventually you'll figure out they enjoy
wallowing in the mud.

Mike M

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 05:40:05 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:42:20 -0800, the infamous Mike M
scrawled the following:

I'm just a lurker but I learned quick about electrical advice. I hold
a master electricians license and 40 years on the job. Learned real
quick to keep quiet.

Mike M

Was that for liability purposes or due to the massive amounts of
incoming flak from the heavily opinionated (and highly wrong) wannabes
out there, Mike? ("I didn't have any solder so I used chewing gum.")

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

sigh Ok - I'll shoot the jig and the output _together_ and put /that/
at the top of the page.

Photo of jig and joint added.

Huh, all I see is some Christian symbol and an upside down, poorly
formed L.

Ok - I finally broke down and bought a little shirt-pocked digital video
camera. If I can figure the little bugger out without breaking it, I'll
add a video to the web page in spring. mumble

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 20:04:18 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

Morris Dovey wrote:

sigh Ok - I'll shoot the jig and the output _together_ and put /that/
at the top of the page.
Photo of jig and joint added.

Huh, all I see is some Christian symbol and an upside down, poorly
formed L.

Ok - I finally broke down and bought a little shirt-pocked digital video
camera. If I can figure the little bugger out without breaking it, I'll
add a video to the web page in spring. mumble

See? I gave you an excuse to go buy yet another toy, er, I mean tool.

P.S: I hope you have a receipt and can return it. Those cheapies are
truly nasty in most cases.

--
Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas
to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 20:04:18 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

Ok - I finally broke down and bought a little shirt-pocket digital video
camera. If I can figure the little bugger out without breaking it, I'll
add a video to the web page in spring. mumble

See? I gave you an excuse to go buy yet another toy, er, I mean tool.

Thank you /so/ very much!

P.S: I hope you have a receipt and can return it. Those cheapies are
truly nasty in most cases.

Well, it was either a cheapie (less than $100) or nothing. B'sides, the
videos aren't for /me/ to watch. :-

I shot a couple of short clips at home to try it out (the tiny little
thing did look kinda silly perched on my tripod) and it did ok when I
loaded the file into the computer for playing - but I think they may
have done some cost-cutting with their HDMI driver circuit.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar