Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Making a box joint jig

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 12:26:10 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 02:29:13 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

Now reference the friggin' fence or crosscut sled, please. It's
supposed to be at the bottom of the pic, right? (Your whole op is
done in mid-air as shown.) Maybe some elevation pics would help, too.

There's a lot of stuff in my shop that's "up in the air". Why should
this be any different?

2 Points, sir.

Reference to normal blade crosscut height and stock height is
confusing.

I don't talk good, too. Suggested wording?

Don't talk "well", ya silly savage. Oh, just redo the entire page,
will ya, and add dims for the blocks you cut and reference them in the
pics. It removes any obfuscation. A "C" showing on the one pic and an
upside down "C" showing on the rotated jig would be illustratorily
effusive as well. (Just try to find -that- one in a dict!)

Also, WTF is a "lap joint" to you? http://fwd4.me/4WP

I like diggerop's definition.

Their kerfs are larger than your kerfs. /neener

Show sample output from this jig on the page, please.

sigh Ok - I'll shoot the jig and the output _together_ and put /that/
at the top of the page.

Label which is which, too, OK? gd&r

That's the viewpoint for all of the drawings, yes.

P.S: I'm a guy who, usually, can take one look at a complex exploded
drawing and know both what the item does and easily figure out how to
build one for myself. Spatial relationships are no problem for me. I
can't seem to do that/figure those from any of your drawings, Morris.

I can (sorta) grasp where you're coming from - but with /this/ gizmo
there's nothing complex to explode and the only dimension that has any
significance at all is the width of the kerf.

No, you don't quite grasp it. I can savvy the complex stuff but yours
is _too_ simple. Because you left out any references and showed 'em
only in 2 dims, what could be an elevation could also be an overhead
perspective. There's no way to tell.

sigh

Yeah, me too. I've zapped the small drawings of both lap and box joint
jigs. My intent was to show how simple they can be, but instead only
added to the general confusion. My apologies to all.

50 lashes with a long, limp, wet Robatoy noodle for you!

I'd have spent more time with you on this tonight but my muscles are
so sore I'm going to bed. Squatting 8 hours a day doing this client's
17" tall deck is killing my thigh muskuls sumpin' fierce. Thank God
it's going to be _raining_ for the next 3 days...My ibuprofen has met
its match.

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.