Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Toolboxes then/now

Found this thread on Make online: http://blog.makezine.com/archive/200..._and_then.html
It's a photo of a contemporary plastic B&D ROS tool box and an older
oak one that held a valve grinder. The box now would cost more than
the tool inside. I'm working on a similar project; a set of custom
took boxes for small hand tools. I'm going shopping first thing Black
Friday for the tools. I'll be using pre-made "carcasses" from Hobby
Lobby and applying inlays and veneers on the outside and who knows on
the inside. Will post back when it's done.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2009 1:35 PM 'lektric dan spake thus:

Found this thread on Make online:
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/200..._and_then.html
It's a photo of a contemporary plastic B&D ROS tool box and an older
oak one that held a valve grinder. The box now would cost more than
the tool inside. I'm working on a similar project; a set of custom
took boxes for small hand tools. I'm going shopping first thing Black
Friday for the tools. I'll be using pre-made "carcasses" from Hobby
Lobby and applying inlays and veneers on the outside and who knows
on the inside. Will post back when it's done.

Good for you.

I think all plastic toolboxes ought to be carted over to the nearest
active volcano and thrown inside the caldera.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 14:35:34 -0700 (PDT), "'lektric dan"
wrote:

Found this thread on Make online: http://blog.makezine.com/archive/200..._and_then.html
It's a photo of a contemporary plastic B&D ROS tool box and an older
oak one that held a valve grinder. The box now would cost more than
the tool inside. I'm working on a similar project; a set of custom
took boxes for small hand tools. I'm going shopping first thing Black
Friday for the tools. I'll be using pre-made "carcasses" from Hobby
Lobby and applying inlays and veneers on the outside and who knows on
the inside. Will post back when it's done.

But I'll bet the ROS has a better chance of surviving a drop (or the
USPS) in the blow-mold case.
Posted to rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 10/29/2009 1:35 PM 'lektric dan spake thus:

Found this thread on Make online:

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/200..._and_then.html
It's a photo of a contemporary plastic B&D ROS tool box and an
older oak one that held a valve grinder. The box now would cost
more than the tool inside. I'm working on a similar project; a set
of custom took boxes for small hand tools. I'm going shopping first
thing Black Friday for the tools. I'll be using pre-made
"carcasses" from Hobby Lobby and applying inlays and veneers on the
outside and who knows on the inside. Will post back when it's done.

Good for you.

I think all plastic toolboxes ought to be carted over to the nearest
active volcano and thrown inside the caldera.

Speaking of plastic tool boxes, how many use the plastic totes that
all power tools seem to come in? Once I extract the tools I might as
well throw the boxes away, I never use them again.
--
http://www.welshpembrokecorgis.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 20:18:28 -0500, basilisk
wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

I use mine until I can build a permanent place to keep them, then
store them for the next move. What frosts me is the total lack of
storage space in most of the cases. Wouldn't it make sense to leave
room for a drill index in a cordless drill case? At least the case
for my Dewalt circular saw has a decent place to keep blades.

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

I use mine until I can build a permanent place to keep them, then
store them for the next move. What frosts me is the total lack of
storage space in most of the cases. Wouldn't it make sense to leave
room for a drill index in a cordless drill case? At least the case
for my Dewalt circular saw has a decent place to keep blades.

As does my Dewalt reciprocating saw. It even has enough room to store a 6'
extension cord!

Of course you have to remove the blade to get the saw in the container...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Likewise, my Hitachi circular saw case has room for blade storage, but
I can't get past the thought that it would have cost $15 less without
the blow molded box.

Ok, I'm a tightwad

basilisk
--
http://www.welshpembrokecorgis.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Speaking of plastic tool boxes, how many use the plastic totes that
all power tools seem to come in? Once I extract the tools I might as
well throw the boxes away, I never use them again.

I use mine until I can build a permanent place to keep them, then
store them for the next move. What frosts me is the total lack of
storage space in most of the cases. Wouldn't it make sense to leave
room for a drill index in a cordless drill case? At least the case
for my Dewalt circular saw has a decent place to keep blades.

How very thoughtful of Dewalt. My Porter-Cable circular saw came with a
plastic case, and it barely has room for the cord attached to the saw.
The rip fence accessory--an official accessory, although one that did
not come with the saw--doesn't properly fit anywhere in the case with
the saw. The only way I've found to get them both in is to stuff the
fence lengthwise between the saw motor and base plate, which is hardly
an ideal solution. I don't think a spare blade would fit anywhere, and
a speed square or extension cord certainly doesn't.

What is most irksome, though, is that there is plenty of space that
could have been used to permit some of these bits and pieces to fit in
nicely, had somebody bothered to make an extra divot or two in the case
mold. It's almost as though they studiously avoided making the case
handy for people who actually use the tool besides just storing it.

It is a nice saw, though.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Found this thread on Make online: http://blog.makezine.com/archive/200..._and_then.html
It's a photo of a contemporary plastic B&D ROS tool box and an older
oak one that held a valve grinder. The box now would cost more than
the tool inside. I'm working on a similar project; a set of custom
took boxes for small hand tools. I'm going shopping first thing Black
Friday for the tools. I'll be using pre-made "carcasses" from Hobby
Lobby and applying inlays and veneers on the outside and who knows on
the inside. Will post back when it's done.

This is a timely post for me because I just finished a box for my
bench chisels. It took several months because a kitchen remodel and
new siding, windows and doors kept getting in the way. Actually the
kitchen still isn't finished but my chisel box is!

http://s692.photobucket.com/albums/v.../Chisel%20Box/

Gordon Shumway

One positive thing about 'Cash for Clunkers' is that
it took thousands of Obama bumper stickers off the road.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Found this thread on Make online: http://blog.makezine.com/archive/200..._and_then.html
It's a photo of a contemporary plastic B&D ROS tool box and an older
oak one that held a valve grinder. The box now would cost more than
the tool inside. I'm working on a similar project; a set of custom
took boxes for small hand tools. I'm going shopping first thing Black
Friday for the tools. I'll be using pre-made "carcasses" from Hobby
Lobby and applying inlays and veneers on the outside and who knows on
the inside. Will post back when it's done.

This is a timely post for me because I just finished a box for my
bench chisels. It took several months because a kitchen remodel and
new siding, windows and doors kept getting in the way. Actually the
kitchen still isn't finished but my chisel box is!

http://s692.photobucket.com/albums/v.../Chisel%20Box/

Very nice! Nothing quite so wonderful as a fine set of chisels, and
they deserve an equally wonderful place to be stored. I wish I could
say my chisels have such a fine place to live!

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gordon Shumway" wrote

This is a timely post for me because I just finished a box for my
bench chisels. It took several months because a kitchen remodel and
new siding, windows and doors kept getting in the way. Actually the
kitchen still isn't finished but my chisel box is!

http://s692.photobucket.com/albums/v.../Chisel%20Box/

Who needs a kitchen when you have fine chisel storage!?!?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"basilisk" wrote

Speaking of plastic tool boxes, how many use the plastic totes that
all power tools seem to come in? Once I extract the tools I might as
well throw the boxes away, I never use them again.
--

If you have limited storge space or need to transport the tools to a
jobsite, they can come in handy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"krw" wrote

I use mine until I can build a permanent place to keep them, then
store them for the next move. What frosts me is the total lack of
storage space in most of the cases. Wouldn't it make sense to leave
room for a drill index in a cordless drill case? At least the case
for my Dewalt circular saw has a decent place to keep blades.

I worked at on job where the homeowner gave me the task of trying to figure
out how to get his circular saw into it's molded case. It took me a half
hour! I apologized. I was told that in ten hours he never figurted it out.
Talk about a puzzle. It was the most anti-intuitive design possible. What
kind of sadist engineer designs a case that can't be used.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:
krw wrote:

I use mine until I can build a permanent place to keep them, then
store them for the next move. What frosts me is the total lack of
storage space in most of the cases. Wouldn't it make sense to leave
room for a drill index in a cordless drill case? At least the case
for my Dewalt circular saw has a decent place to keep blades.

As does my Dewalt reciprocating saw. It even has enough room to store
a 6' extension cord!

Of course you have to remove the blade to get the saw in the
container...

That's one thing about the Fein Multimaster--the case has storage for a
tremndous lot of accessories.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 29, 9:31*pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:

This is a timely post for me because I just finished a box for my
bench chisels. *It took several months because a kitchen remodel and
new siding, windows and doors kept getting in the way. *Actually the
kitchen still isn't finished but my chisel box is!

http://s692.photobucket.com/albums/v.../Chisel%20Box/

Gordon Shumway

Sweet! I'm still trying to plan out what I want to put in my tool
box. I can either get the box then buy the tools to fit, or buy the
tools and find a box to fit...or I could just buy all the tools and
can then only afford the free plastic bag they came in...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in
:

"krw" wrote

I use mine until I can build a permanent place to keep them, then
store them for the next move. What frosts me is the total lack of
storage space in most of the cases. Wouldn't it make sense to leave
room for a drill index in a cordless drill case? At least the case
for my Dewalt circular saw has a decent place to keep blades.

I worked at on job where the homeowner gave me the task of trying to
figure out how to get his circular saw into it's molded case. It took
me a half hour! I apologized. I was told that in ten hours he never
figurted it out. Talk about a puzzle. It was the most anti-intuitive
design possible. What kind of sadist engineer designs a case that
can't be used.

We've got a Skil circular saw like that. The only use I found for it was
hiding an old metal drill from myself for years!

If you look at plastic cases as packaging material, you're probably
looking at them like most companies look at them. If you look at them as
storage, you'll be sadly disappointed...

Puckdropper
--
Can you get a Masters degree in packaging design?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2009 10:49 PM Puckdropper spake thus:

"Lee Michaels" wrote in
:

I worked at on job where the homeowner gave me the task of trying to
figure out how to get his circular saw into it's molded case. It took
me a half hour! I apologized. I was told that in ten hours he never
figurted it out. Talk about a puzzle. It was the most anti-intuitive
design possible. What kind of sadist engineer designs a case that
can't be used.

We've got a Skil circular saw like that. The only use I found for it was
hiding an old metal drill from myself for years!

If you look at plastic cases as packaging material, you're probably
looking at them like most companies look at them. If you look at them as
storage, you'll be sadly disappointed...

I've had the opposite experience with my circular saw. It's a Craftsman,
one of the few tools I've actually bought new (I'm a cheapskate, and in
any case used to be poor for the most part). This was, oh, about 25
years ago. It still lives in its black polypropylene (I think) case,
which makes it a hell of a lot easier to transport than just naked.
Holds the blade wrench and spare blades nicely too.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

....amongst other things. ~

Apparently there are people that buy the blow-molded boxes. I've sold
some on eBay. You won't get rich selling them, but it's better than
tossing them in the recycling bin.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 14:13:51 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article m, David
Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

The case for my Milwaukee circ saw is very well designed.

The case for my Dewalt DW364 rear pivot circ is fine (nice saw too).
None of the rest of the 12 cases I have are worth a damn though. How
hard would it be to add a few dividers for things like bits in the
blow-mold for a cordless drill case?

Posted to rec.woodworking

His boss that forced 1/2 ounce of less plastic!

Martin

Lee Michaels wrote:
"krw" wrote
I use mine until I can build a permanent place to keep them, then
store them for the next move. What frosts me is the total lack of
storage space in most of the cases. Wouldn't it make sense to leave
room for a drill index in a cordless drill case? At least the case
for my Dewalt circular saw has a decent place to keep blades.

I worked at on job where the homeowner gave me the task of trying to figure
out how to get his circular saw into it's molded case. It took me a half
hour! I apologized. I was told that in ten hours he never figurted it out.
Talk about a puzzle. It was the most anti-intuitive design possible. What
kind of sadist engineer designs a case that can't be used.

Why are snap-on toolboxes so darn expensive? Aaron Fude Home Repair 50 September 29th 09 01:25 AM
Toolboxes - are there *any* good ones out there? [email protected] UK diy 22 October 14th 07 06:08 PM
Old Toolboxes Joseph Durham Woodworking 10 September 14th 06 05:33 AM
gerstner toolboxes-age yourname Metalworking 1 April 18th 06 06:56 AM
Lista toolboxes - 3 different websites jj Metalworking 0 January 5th 06 12:15 AM