Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Erickson Andrew Erickson is offline

Default Toolboxes then/now

In article ,
krw wrote:

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 20:18:28 -0500, basilisk
wrote:

Speaking of plastic tool boxes, how many use the plastic totes that
all power tools seem to come in? Once I extract the tools I might as
well throw the boxes away, I never use them again.

I use mine until I can build a permanent place to keep them, then
store them for the next move. What frosts me is the total lack of
storage space in most of the cases. Wouldn't it make sense to leave
room for a drill index in a cordless drill case? At least the case
for my Dewalt circular saw has a decent place to keep blades.

How very thoughtful of Dewalt. My Porter-Cable circular saw came with a
plastic case, and it barely has room for the cord attached to the saw.
The rip fence accessory--an official accessory, although one that did
not come with the saw--doesn't properly fit anywhere in the case with
the saw. The only way I've found to get them both in is to stuff the
fence lengthwise between the saw motor and base plate, which is hardly
an ideal solution. I don't think a spare blade would fit anywhere, and
a speed square or extension cord certainly doesn't.

What is most irksome, though, is that there is plenty of space that
could have been used to permit some of these bits and pieces to fit in
nicely, had somebody bothered to make an extra divot or two in the case
mold. It's almost as though they studiously avoided making the case
handy for people who actually use the tool besides just storing it.

It is a nice saw, though.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot