Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bedroom Arts & Crafts Towers Finished

I posted the finished bedroom towers on a.b.p.w.

362 seperate pieces of wood including 136 floating tennons. Where floating
tennons were not used stub tennons and slots were cut to connect all other
pieces and for the frames of the drawer fronts. door fronts, and side
panels.

No screws except to attach the slides, drawer fronts and handles, door
hinges and latches, and to attach the bottom feet to the main cabinet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 13, 7:16*pm, "Leon" wrote:
I posted the finished bedroom towers on a.b.p.w.

362 seperate pieces of wood including 136 floating tennons. *Where floating
tennons were not used stub tennons and slots were cut to connect all other
pieces and for the frames of the drawer fronts. door fronts, and side
panels.

No screws except to attach the slides, drawer fronts and handles, door
hinges and latches, and to attach the bottom feet to the main cabinet.

Superb fit and finish. You're making a lot of us look bad. *S*
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:16:46 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

I posted the finished bedroom towers on a.b.p.w.
362 seperate pieces of wood including 136 floating tennons.

Nicely done! Can I assume most if not all of those floating tenons
were Domino cut and installed? If so, I was wondering how strong a
joint you get on a 90? joint with 3/4" plywood? I'm asking about
pulling the joints apart, not flexing the 90? join to break the
tenons.

After all, you're cutting a mortise for a floating tenon that's less
than 3/4" deep. Obviously, you don't want to blast through the
plywood. I think I read it was something like 9/16" deep. Have you
done any personal testing in this area?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Oct 13, 7:16 pm, "Leon" wrote:
I posted the finished bedroom towers on a.b.p.w.

362 seperate pieces of wood including 136 floating tennons. Where floating
tennons were not used stub tennons and slots were cut to connect all other
pieces and for the frames of the drawer fronts. door fronts, and side
panels.

No screws except to attach the slides, drawer fronts and handles, door
hinges and latches, and to attach the bottom feet to the main cabinet.

Superb fit and finish. You're making a lot of us look bad. *S*

Thank you sir, there are a couple of tweaks I need on the doors, they don't
shut where I think they should but I can fix and live with that. :!)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:16:46 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

Thank you !

Can I assume most if not all of those floating tenons
were Domino cut and installed?

Well the domino cut the mortises, "I" glued and slid the domino tennons in.
;!)

If so, I was wondering how strong a
joint you get on a 90? joint with 3/4" plywood? I'm asking about
pulling the joints apart, not flexing the 90? join to break the
tenons.

90 degrees? I suspect very strong. I dont want to do it as I use the
smallest 5mm x 30mm Domino tennons on every thing including the face frame
on the front, I think I could stand on the rails. there are 4, 3/4"
plywood fixed shelves from top to bottom. 2 tennons in each side of each
shelf. The towers were very ridgid with the hollow front and back panels.

After all, you're cutting a mortise for a floating tenon that's less
than 3/4" deep. Obviously, you don't want to blast through the
plywood. I think I read it was something like 9/16" deep. Have you
done any personal testing in this area?

In this project all of the tennons mortises and tennons were in the edge of
the 3/4" plywood. No testing done but there are much larger tennons 10mm
thick and about 50mm long. Those should suffice on most any furniture
project. either way I'd feel comfortable in saying much stronger than a
biscuit and stronger than a pocket hole and screw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

I posted the finished bedroom towers on a.b.p.w.

362 seperate pieces of wood including 136 floating tennons. Where
floating
tennons were not used stub tennons and slots were cut to connect all
other
pieces and for the frames of the drawer fronts. door fronts, and
side
panels.

No screws except to attach the slides, drawer fronts and handles,
door
hinges and latches, and to attach the bottom feet to the main
cabinet.

SHOW OFF!!!

BTW, nicely done.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote:

I posted the finished bedroom towers on a.b.p.w.

362 seperate pieces of wood including 136 floating tennons. Where
floating
tennons were not used stub tennons and slots were cut to connect all
other
pieces and for the frames of the drawer fronts. door fronts, and side
panels.

No screws except to attach the slides, drawer fronts and handles, door
hinges and latches, and to attach the bottom feet to the main cabinet.

SHOW OFF!!!

LOL!

BTW, nicely done.

Thank you Lew.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I posted the finished bedroom towers on a.b.p.w.

362 seperate pieces of wood including 136 floating tennons. Where
floating tennons were not used stub tennons and slots were cut to connect
all other pieces and for the frames of the drawer fronts. door fronts, and
side panels.

No screws except to attach the slides, drawer fronts and handles, door
hinges and latches, and to attach the bottom feet to the main cabinet.

Not to be a pain in the ass but could someone post these pics on something
like "photobucket" or something similar. I can't get abpw through my
server.
Thanks
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

evodawg wrote in
:

Leon wrote:

I posted the finished bedroom towers on a.b.p.w.

362 seperate pieces of wood including 136 floating tennons. Where
floating tennons were not used stub tennons and slots were cut to
connect all other pieces and for the frames of the drawer fronts.
door fronts, and side panels.

No screws except to attach the slides, drawer fronts and handles,
door hinges and latches, and to attach the bottom feet to the main
cabinet.

Not to be a pain in the ass but could someone post these pics on
something like "photobucket" or something similar. I can't get abpw
through my server.
Thanks

Have a look he
http://www.usenet-
replayer.com/groups/alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.html

It was the first result on Google for
"alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking". You may find other sites you like
better.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

Very nicely done, Leon. Nice indeed.

And like "r" said, you are making some of us look a little bad.

Please tell me that was for a client, and not for you. I always tell
Kathy it is cheaper to go to a good furniture store!

And I must say... I don't think there is anyone that has put their
Domino to more frequent or good use. When you use it like you do, the
price of the tool seems very affordable.

Once again, nice work.

P.S.: If this is in your house, be kind to your friends (not Swing -
he can defend himself in these matters! ;^) ) and don't tell their
respective significant others you made the towers yourself. I can see
potential problems for many, many weekends for other woodworkers!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Very nicely done, Leon. Nice indeed.

Thank you Robert.

And like "r" said, you are making some of us look a little bad.

Well they are not perfect but I like the over all effect. ;~) I like all
the shadow lines.

Please tell me that was for a client, and not for you. I always tell
Kathy it is cheaper to go to a good furniture store!

OK, they are for a client. NOT! Sorry, they are for us.

And I must say... I don't think there is anyone that has put their
Domino to more frequent or good use. When you use it like you do, the
price of the tool seems very affordable.

If nothing else it has paid for it self in saved time. And I don't hesitate
used a mortise and loose tennon any more.

Once again, nice work.

Thank you again rovert, I appreciate your kind words.

P.S.: If this is in your house, be kind to your friends (not Swing -
he can defend himself in these matters! ;^) ) and don't tell their
respective significant others you made the towers yourself. I can see
potential problems for many, many weekends for other woodworkers!

I have to tell them and my neighbors, thay are my customer base. LOL.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 10:47:19 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Very nicely done, Leon. Nice indeed.

And like "r" said, you are making some of us look a little bad.

Yeah but, he has to move them into the bedroom, so there!

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 13, 7:16 pm, "Leon" wrote:
I posted the finished bedroom towers on a.b.p.w.

362 seperate pieces of wood including 136 floating tennons. Where floating
tennons were not used stub tennons and slots were cut to connect all other
pieces and for the frames of the drawer fronts. door fronts, and side
panels.

No screws except to attach the slides, drawer fronts and handles, door
hinges and latches, and to attach the bottom feet to the main cabinet.

Superb fit and finish. You're making a lot of us look bad. *S*

You're making some of us look bad, and some look terrible.

Lovely work, sir.

Tanus

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote in message ...

Superb fit and finish. You're making a lot of us look bad. *S*

You're making some of us look bad, and some look terrible.

Lovely work, sir.

Tanus

Thank you, you are tooooo kind. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Very nicely done, Leon. Nice indeed.

And like "r" said, you are making some of us look a little bad.

Yeah but, he has to move them into the bedroom, so there!

-Kevin

Go take a look at Moving Day for the Towers in a.p.b.w. ;~0

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 13, 7:16*pm, "Leon" wrote:
I posted the finished bedroom towers on a.b.p.w.

a b p w - What is that? For one, I would prefer a link. I realize
everyone else knows about a p b w and fully expect scorn a derision,
but thought to make the observation regardless. (;
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 20:52:52 -0700 (PDT), Hoosierpopi
wrote:

a b p w - What is that? For one, I would prefer a link. I realize
everyone else knows about a p b w and fully expect scorn a derision,
but thought to make the observation regardless. (;

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

scorn, derision and all that other stuff...
Just so you know, binary newsgroups aren't viewable through Google so
you'll have to search out a different server or source if you want to
view those images.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

scorn, derision and all that other stuff...
Just so you know, binary newsgroups aren't viewable through Google
so
you'll have to search out a different server or source if you want
view those images.

SFWIW:

Astraweb is serving me well.

Based on my usage so far, the 180G for $25 package should last me
about 50 years, so there is little chance I'll use it all.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 14, 11:52*pm, Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Oct 13, 7:16*pm, "Leon" wrote:

I posted the finished bedroom towers on a.b.p.w.

a b p w - What is that? For one, I would prefer a link. I realize
everyone else knows about a p b w and fully expect scorn a derision,
but thought to make the observation regardless. (;

Yea, Leon... get yourself a Photobucket account..free/cheap/easy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
On Oct 13, 7:16 pm, "Leon" wrote:
I posted the finished bedroom towers on a.b.p.w.

a b p w - What is that? For one, I would prefer a link. I realize
everyone else knows about a p b w and fully expect scorn a derision,
but thought to make the observation regardless. (;

I guess you gets what whats you pays for.
Upgrade your service and you can see what the rest of us see. Sorry. I
cannot help you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

SFWIW:

Astraweb is serving me well.

Based on my usage so far, the 180G for $25 package should last me about 50
years, so there is little chance I'll use it all.

Lew

Just you wait till I up load my 181 Gigabite detail shot of the special
hinge I used. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 13, 7:16 pm, "Leon" wrote:

I posted the finished bedroom towers on a.b.p.w.

a b p w - What is that? For one, I would prefer a link. I realize
everyone else knows about a p b w and fully expect scorn a derision,
but thought to make the observation regardless. (;

Yea, Leon... get yourself a Photobucket account..free/cheap/easy.

Still free/cheaper/easier for me is if every one would finally upgrade to a
decent news server, or what ever, like most every one has done with broad
band. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
:

Just you wait till I up load my 181 Gigabite detail shot of the
special hinge I used. LOL

My quick calculations show that would take 36 days at a very generous
upload speed of 512kb/s. Thanks for getting me to pull my calculator out
and change the batteries, though. One had just started to leak.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in
:

Just you wait till I up load my 181 Gigabite detail shot of the
special hinge I used. LOL

My quick calculations show that would take 36 days at a very generous
upload speed of 512kb/s. Thanks for getting me to pull my calculator out
and change the batteries, though. One had just started to leak.

I dont't know about that, LOL.
Quarterly I update my Garmin GPS and "down load" a 1.8 GB file in about 2.5
hours. If my up load speed was only 1/10 of that speed, .18 GB per hour it
would take 1005 hours or 41 days. LOL

I am not running at "generous speed".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 13, 7:16 pm, "Leon" wrote:

I posted the finished bedroom towers on a.b.p.w.

a b p w - What is that? For one, I would prefer a link. I realize
everyone else knows about a p b w and fully expect scorn a derision,
but thought to make the observation regardless. (;

Yea, Leon... get yourself a Photobucket account..free/cheap/easy.

Still free/cheaper/easier for me is if every one would finally upgrade to
a decent news server, or what ever, like most every one has done with
broad
band. LOL

Guess you can lead an old ass to water but you can't make him drink.
Doubt the generalization above holds true with "most"....
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.biz/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
I posted the finished bedroom towers on a.b.p.w.

a b p w - What is that? For one, I would prefer a link. I realize
everyone else knows about a p b w and fully expect scorn a derision,
but thought to make the observation regardless. (;

Yea, Leon... get yourself a Photobucket account..free/cheap/easy.

I second that.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"evodawg" wrote in message
Guess you can lead an old ass to water but you can't make him drink.
Doubt the generalization above holds true with "most"....

I'd say the generalization probably hold true to most. a.b.p.w. was pretty
much deserted 6-8 months ago. Now today, I see almost as much traffic as I
did a couple years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:45:22 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

I'd say the generalization probably hold true to most. a.b.p.w. was pretty
much deserted 6-8 months ago. Now today, I see almost as much traffic as I
did a couple years ago.

I'd say that's mostly because it was approximately a year ago that
many ISP's started dropping usenet access and in particular, binary
newsgroups. The more recent amount of postings probably means that
many of those who lost that service have finally gotten around to
finding other means of accessing a.b.p.w.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I'd say the generalization probably hold true to most. a.b.p.w. was
pretty
much deserted 6-8 months ago. Now today, I see almost as much traffic as
did a couple years ago.

I'd say that's mostly because it was approximately a year ago that
many ISP's started dropping usenet access and in particular, binary
newsgroups. The more recent amount of postings probably means that
many of those who lost that service have finally gotten around to
finding other means of accessing a.b.p.w.

"That" was what I was trying to say. ;~)

Looking for resellers for arts and crafts nepalcraft Woodturning 0 August 2nd 08 01:56 PM
Arts And Crafts shelf Mark Johnson Woodworking Plans and Photos 5 August 21st 07 03:09 AM
arts and crafts house mm Home Repair 6 July 20th 07 01:18 PM
Arts and Crafts Mirror Eric Anderson Woodworking 11 December 12th 04 06:08 AM
Arts and Crafts Site CraftIT Woodturning 0 November 12th 04 03:24 PM