Eric Anderson

Default Arts and Crafts Mirror

I have been building our bedroom furniture of the Arts & Crafts style. I
have the chest of drawers, bed, table, lamps and closing in on finishing the
dresser. See below:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/DSCF2075.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/DSCF3642.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ewithtop11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...dresser004.jpg

Now I am trying to find a mirror appropriate for the dresser. I have
accumulated a number of styles, but have not found the one I want yet. I
would possibly like it to have a little of the Green & Green styling, but
not with the inlays, but I have not found any real good example of their
mirror styles. I am still looking. I have looked through the library,
around the internet, through this newsgroup and asked here in the past with
some good suggestions. Still have not found what I want. Need more
suggestions.

Ba r r y

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 08:15:34 -0500, "Eric Anderson"
wrote:

I have been building our bedroom furniture of the Arts & Crafts style. I
have the chest of drawers, bed, table, lamps and closing in on finishing the
dresser. See below:

Nice work!

Barry

John

http://www.floatingstonewoodworks.co...aftsmirror.htm

http://www.homeportfolio.com/catalog...81&prodId=8287

http://www.2x4m.com/ZFU/G%20&%20G%20mirror.htm

http://www.williamlaberge.com/xgml.jpeg

Hope these help.

John

[...]

Thanks folks. These are interesting and may have me some ideas, but I
still don't think I have found it yet.

Thomas,

I have no problem designing one myself, but I swear that I saw one a
couple of years ago that I really liked and I have not been able to
find it again. I just remember that it has some nice detail (can't
remember what the detail looked like) and I have been hoping to find it
again. If I don't find it, then I guess I will have to get the old
drafting pen out!

Eric Anderson

Thomas D. Ireland wrote:
I like Arts and Crafts as well! If you know a little drafting and the

A&C
details you want why not design your own? Just an A&C idea!

Tom

:

[...]

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
"Eric Anderson" wrote:

Now I am trying to find a mirror appropriate for the dresser. I have
accumulated a number of styles, but have not found the one I want yet. I
would possibly like it to have a little of the Green & Green styling

Design it yourself - how's about a "cloud lift" top and bottom, staight
sides, half lapped corners where each piece extends a couple inches
beyond the lap. Then put in one or two ebony pyramid pegs at each corner.

You wouldn't need to cut the glass to the cloud lift profile, just
rabbet the backside so you can fill it with a rectangular mirror.

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 13:46:41 GMT, Ba r r y
calmly ranted:

wrote:

I have been building our bedroom furniture of the Arts & Crafts style. I
have the chest of drawers, bed, table, lamps and closing in on finishing the
dresser. See below:

Nice work!

Ditto, Eric. Well done!

CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Ba r r y

wrote:

I have been building our bedroom furniture of the Arts & Crafts style. I
have the chest of drawers, bed, table, lamps and closing in on finishing the
dresser. See below:

How about some details, like methods and finishes.

Barry

Real nice work. How are you finishing these? I really like the pop you
are getting on the flakes and rays.

Mark & Juanita

wrote:

I have been building our bedroom furniture of the Arts & Crafts style. I
have the chest of drawers, bed, table, lamps and closing in on finishing the
dresser. See below:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/DSCF2075.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/DSCF3642.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ewithtop11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...dresser004.jpg

Very nice. The lamps on the nightstand are a nice touch.

Now I am trying to find a mirror appropriate for the dresser. I have
accumulated a number of styles, but have not found the one I want yet. I
would possibly like it to have a little of the Green & Green styling, but
not with the inlays, but I have not found any real good example of their
mirror styles. I am still looking. I have looked through the library,
around the internet, through this newsgroup and asked here in the past with
some good suggestions. Still have not found what I want. Need more
suggestions.

Take a look through some of the Woodsmith plans, they seem very heavily
focused upon arts & crafts and have had some fairly nice mirrors in the
past. In my magazine index, I found an entry for an Arts & Crafts style
mirror in Workbench October/November 2004 pp 60 ff.

Good luck.

Eric Anderson

Thanks Folks,

The stain is Minwax Provincial 211. I considered fuming and mixing my own
stain, but after checking out a few of Minwax's stains, if thought
Provincial was very nice and was close enough to the Stickley stains for me.
The finish is an Ace high gloss "Tung Oil Finish" that is actually an
oil-varnish. I have some tung oil and might have used that if I had it
first. It gives a little more of a naked wood look and less gloss.

The designs are "ripped" from various other designs in magazines including
the L & JG Stickley catalog with modifications of my own. I can say one
thing about building this type of furnitu Use a story stick. It takes
about a half day to design something on one, but from there it is just
transferring the information directly from one to the wood you are using.