JMWEBER987

Default Red Oak for Arts and Crafts style? finishing?

Recently got a pickup truck load of red oak thats currently drying and is down
to about 14 percent. My wife would like a new bed for our new queen size
mattress with matching side tables and I have some plans for this project. I
believe that quartersawn white oak was mostly used for the original arts and
crafts furniture but is there any reason red oak would not be okay? Any
recommendations for finishing the red oak so that it appeares as a resonable
fascimilie of the white oak? The red oak is not quartersawn. I have never
built any nice furnature nor done any fine finishing but have a broad enough
background and experience to be confident of at least getting the parts cut out
and put together, nor is money for finishing supplies a problem It's the
actual finishing steps I'm worried about. Although I do not have an HVLP
sprayer I do have a good quality automotive spray gun with compressor. I have
DAGS and read quite a bit on finishing in general and arts and crafts in
particular but most all of it does call for white oak. I want it to look nice
and would like to use the red oak I have. Do you think I would be better off
getting some white oak or will the red be okay? Finishing recommendations? TIA
Mike in Arkansas
George

Red doesn't, and won't look like white. It'll look pretty if you treat it
right, and that means not like white. Your "fumed" finish will have to come
from a can of stain. As long as you don't mix in the same piece, should
make a nice bed.

"JMWEBER987" wrote in message
Recently got a pickup truck load of red oak thats currently drying and is

down
to about 14 percent. My wife would like a new bed for our new queen size
mattress with matching side tables and I have some plans for this project.

believe that quartersawn white oak was mostly used for the original arts

and
crafts furniture but is there any reason red oak would not be okay?

patriarch

"George" george@least wrote in :

Red doesn't, and won't look like white. It'll look pretty if you
treat it right, and that means not like white. Your "fumed" finish
will have to come from a can of stain. As long as you don't mix in
the same piece, should make a nice bed.

George is correct that you can make some nice furniture in this style with
the red oak. You're likely going to want to get really familiar with dyes,
rather than pigment stains. DAGS for this oft-covered topic.

I'd like to add that you will want to pay attention to grain, particularly
with red oak. The relatively open grain will take stain differently than
will most other woods. This means that you need to understand what that
will mean in your finished projects, or you will have more, (or possibly
less) grain showing than you wish to have.

Make a small table, or something with a leg similar to what you anticipate
using on your magnus opus. Use you finishing schedule (which you have
tested earlier on scrap), and see how the grain looks after a couple of
weeks. Red oak has a tendency to look considerably different on edge grain
from face grain, in the same piece.

Woodsmith, FWW and probably a number of other magazines have had articles
over the past few years on how to take what you've got, and make it behave
more closely like QS, or match up well within the one leg piece. They've
explained it better than I could here.

And have fun with this project. It's nice to build stories for the family
for later on.

Patriarch
Jay Pique

Finishing recommendations for red oak....

We've been doing a great deal of work with red oak over the past few months on
an arts and crafts style home. Beams, moldings, mantles and archways are all
red oak finished to match some of the original architectural woodworking. We
take pains to mill it without tear out, which you need to watch for on this
large grained wood. Then we finish it to 150grit, taking pains not to lift
edges (and impail our hands on gigantic splinters) when breaking them. Use
sandpaper wrapped around a block with slightly rounded edges to avoid this. We
then flood it with a golden oak/walnut stain mix to start. Then we apply 2
coats of dyed satin varnish, sanding lightly in between. We leave the pores
only partially filled. It looks nice.

JP
JMWEBER987

We leave the pores
only partially filled

Thanks to you gentlemem for your replys. Just read two more oak finishing
articles and both filled the pores. One by using a product made for that as a
first application and the other sanded with oil to fill the pores. How do you
manage to 'leave the pores only partially filled'/ Mike in Arkansas

JMWEBER987

We don't use pore filler -

I see. Well It's off to the library for me after the Holiday. I saw on their
online catalog that they have a couple of books on wood finishing. Obviously,
I need to rectify my ignorance a little in this area. I want a nice finish.
More than slaping on a coat of poly but not so complex it will take forever. A
bed is a pretty big project for me. . Thanks, Mike in Arkansas
Everyone is ignorant, just in different areas.