Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default arts and crafts house

1925 arts and crafts house. Is that the same as a kit?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
1925 arts and crafts house. Is that the same as a kit?

No. Did you get the description from a real estate ad? If so, it's probably
referring to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arts_and_Crafts_movement

Much of the Stickley furniture collection sorta kinda fits into this
category as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 00:34:39 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
1925 arts and crafts house. Is that the same as a kit?

No. Did you get the description from a real estate ad? If so, it's probably
referring to this:

It was a plaintiff on the piple's court, describing her own house.

It has been in "this old house" magazine, and they showed one picture
of the kitchen, but none of the outside.

They were fighting with the painter, but lost in court.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arts_and_Crafts_movement

Much of the Stickley furniture collection sorta kinda fits into this
category as well.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 6:14 pm, mm wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 00:34:39 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

wrote:
"mm" wrote in message
.. .
1925 arts and crafts house. Is that the same as a kit?

No. Did you get the description from a real estate ad? If so, it's probably
referring to this:

It was a plaintiff on the piple's court, describing her own house.

It has been in "this old house" magazine, and they showed one picture
of the kitchen, but none of the outside.

They were fighting with the painter, but lost in court.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arts_and_Crafts_movement

Much of the Stickley furniture collection sorta kinda fits into this
category as well.

Thanks.

Probably refers to a building style that was prevalent in that era.
Here in California, these homes are referred to as "California
Craftsman" style. They are very unique and may contain period details
and embellishments such as built-in redwood or gumwood cabinets in
dining rooms and around fireplace, boxed beam ceilings, wainscoting,
antique wall sconces, clinker brick, beautiful glazed tile in
bathrooms, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 7:29 pm, mm wrote:
1925 arts and crafts house. Is that the same as a kit?

I think that a "kit" house would be something like a "Sears" house -
Google for more info.

Sears houses we often bungalows, typical of the "arts & crafts"
architecture of the 1920's.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:10:28 -0700, Big_Jake
wrote:

On Jul 18, 7:29 pm, mm wrote:
1925 arts and crafts house. Is that the same as a kit?

I think that a "kit" house would be something like a "Sears" house -

That's what I had in mind.

Google for more info.

Sears houses we often bungalows, typical of the "arts & crafts"
architecture of the 1920's.

So I was close, although maybe not in the case I was looking at.

Thanks. I like being close.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jul 18, 7:29 pm, mm wrote:
1925 arts and crafts house. Is that the same as a kit?

I think that a "kit" house would be something like a "Sears" house -

That's what I had in mind.

Google for more info.

Sears houses we often bungalows, typical of the "arts & crafts"
architecture of the 1920's.

So I was close, although maybe not in the case I was looking at.

Thanks. I like being close.

JK

It would be something like this:

All Sears houses are kit houses, and many Sears houses are arts &
crafts in style. All in all, very few arts and crafts houses are
Sears houses (or kits by others). Arts and crafts is a predominant
architecture in my part of Wisconsin, but I have only seen one Sears
house here.

JK