Posted to rec.woodworking

Default "Dusting The Screws"

I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice
when installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

To me, this means that the slots are vertical and that they all match.

I've used this term for years and I've been asked where the term came
from.

My poor memory seems to recall that it is a term from motorheads who
trick out old cars for shows but I'm not at all clear on that.

Has anyone else heard this term?

Does anyone else bother to do this?

Is this a sign of OCD?

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Tom Watson wrote:
I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice
when installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

To me, this means that the slots are vertical and that they all match.

I've used this term for years and I've been asked where the term came
from.

Never heard that term for it but have always taken the trouble to "just
neaten-up things a little" as my grandad usta' call it...

The correct orientation is horizontal, however, not vertical...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 15:01:35 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice when
installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

Has anyone else heard this term?

No.

Does anyone else bother to do this?

Always.

Is this a sign of OCD?

Probably. Although I put it down to doing a decent engineering
apprenticeship, where I had it drummed into me that small details
*mattered*.
Posted to rec.woodworking

--

They collect more dust in the horizontal position. Also, when outside,
the vertical will allow for water to run off more easily.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Robatoy wrote:
On Jul 9, 3:04 pm, dpb wrote:
Tom Watson wrote:

To me, this means that the slots are vertical and that they all match.

Never heard that term for it but have always taken the trouble to "just
neaten-up things a little" as my grandad usta' call it...

The correct orientation is horizontal, however, not vertical...

They collect more dust in the horizontal position. Also, when outside,
the vertical will allow for water to run off more easily.
Now I'm all out of nits till I raise a few more.

I was just pullin' Tom's chain a little for the heckuvit; in reality I
don't have a fixed orientation, what I actually do w/ orientation
depends on the piece and what appears to look best to my eye at the
time. On affixing a plate such as that mentioned, particularly if the
corners were cut off, placing them so they slots parallel the adjacent
edge might be more attractive rather than either h-al or v-al...

The most important facet is simply the symmetry that echoes the care; in
general the actual choice is less important.

Again, of course, $0.01, ymmv, etc., etc., ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

PCPaul wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 15:01:35 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice when
installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

Is this a sign of OCD?

Probably. Although I put it down to doing a decent engineering
apprenticeship, where I had it drummed into me that small details
*mattered*.

On the other hand, if the torque on the screws matters then this is
absolutely the wrong thing to do. I know I've run into one instance
(electrical switchplate) where lining up a screw with the others made it
either too tight or too loose--I was worried about cracking the
faceplate or having the screw unwind itself.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
el...
PCPaul wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 15:01:35 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice when
installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

Is this a sign of OCD?

Probably. Although I put it down to doing a decent engineering
apprenticeship, where I had it drummed into me that small details
*mattered*.

On the other hand, if the torque on the screws matters then this is
absolutely the wrong thing to do. I know I've run into one instance
(electrical switchplate) where lining up a screw with the others made it
either too tight or too loose--I was worried about cracking the
faceplate or having the screw unwind itself.

Chris

You're supposed to use screws with thick heads and a temporary slot... after
determining where the slot needs to be, by screwing them in to proper
torque, create the final head and slot. At least that's the way we did it
with hand filed wood screws when I worked in the gunsmith shop at Colonial
Williamsburg. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Chris Friesen" wrote in message

On the other hand, if the torque on the screws matters then this is
absolutely the wrong thing to do.

You're supposed to use screws with thick heads and a temporary slot... after
determining where the slot needs to be, by screwing them in to proper
torque, create the final head and slot.

Ah...that makes sense.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 9, 4:36*pm, dpb wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Jul 9, 3:04 pm, dpb wrote:
Tom Watson wrote:

[...]

And I was pulling yours....and I was trying to stave off the more anal
membership here.
All in all, orientate the slots so it compliments the shape of the
object. An oval would create a different zen than a rhomboid.
As the French say:
..
..
..
..
..
..
....well...whatever it is they say....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 14:59:19 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

and I was trying to stave off the more anal
membership here.

Let me know how you make out with that.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice
when installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

To me, this means that the slots are vertical and that they all match.

I've used this term for years and I've been asked where the term came
from.

My poor memory seems to recall that it is a term from motorheads who
trick out old cars for shows but I'm not at all clear on that.

I didn't know that.

Has anyone else heard this term?

Nope.

Does anyone else bother to do this?

Every single time

Is this a sign of OCD?

Most certainly. Of course, I'm pretty sure being a wooddorker is a sign of
OCD as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 9, 3:01*pm, Tom Watson wrote:
I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice
when installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

To me, this means that the slots are vertical and that they all match.

I've used this term for years and I've been asked where the term came
from.

My poor memory seems to recall that it is a term from motorheads who
trick out old cars for shows but I'm not at all clear on that.

Has anyone else heard this term?

Does anyone else bother to do this?

Is this a sign of OCD?

Regards,

Tom Watsonhttp://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

I think that some folks actually have screws that have doubly thick
heads. They put them in and tighten them up, then they file them
flush and re-cut the slot in the exact alignment that they desire.
I'd worry about over or under-torquing them the other way maybe.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 15:01:35 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice when
installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

To me, this means that the slots are vertical and that they all match.

I've used this term for years and I've been asked where the term came
from.

I don't know the origin of the term, but yes, I try to do that when I
remember.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/9/2009 12:01 PM Tom Watson spake thus:

I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice
when installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

To me, this means that the slots are vertical and that they all match.

[...]

Is this a sign of OCD?

Unfortunately, yes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:
I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice
when installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

To me, this means that the slots are vertical and that they all match.

I've used this term for years and I've been asked where the term came
from.

My poor memory seems to recall that it is a term from motorheads who
trick out old cars for shows but I'm not at all clear on that.

Has anyone else heard this term?

No

Does anyone else bother to do this?

Yes

Is this a sign of OCD?

Absolutely not! But checking for same in other people's houses might be
______________

When I built my house the electrician I'd hired oriented all the cover plate
screws. Seeing that, did I trust the thoroughness of his other hidden but
important work? You betcha!!

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:

Does anyone else bother to do this?

Is this a sign of OCD?

The difference between mediocrity and supremacy is attention to detail.

Make no excuses, nuff said ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Screw U (was "Dusting The Screws")

On 2009-07-09, John Grossbohlin wrote:

with hand filed wood screws when I worked in the gunsmith shop at Colonial
Williamsburg. ;~)

Wow! A tip o' the hat to you.

I was snot-nosed punk working at a govt lab machine shop when our forman
came out to the floor and told everyone to knock off. He wheeled out a old
B&H 16mm projector and proceeded to show a two hour film on how a gun was
made in colonial times as recreated at the Williamsburg gunshop. As a
machinist, gun nut, and previous visitor to Williamsburg ('64), I can truly
say that was one of the most fascinating and instructive films I've ever
viewed.

I think the making of the screws, springs, and boring bit was the most
interesting. It was almost unthinkable to us, who had walls of fasteners
of every kind, that in those times, each screw was handmade. And who knew
file technology was developed as early as the 16th century. Great film. I
think it's still available as VHS.

Did you learn how to make the whole gun?

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-07-10, Jay Pique wrote:

I think that some folks actually have screws that have doubly thick
heads. They put them in and tighten them up, then they file them
flush and re-cut the slot in the exact alignment that they desire.
I'd worry about over or under-torquing them the other way maybe.

While I find your premise intriguing, I also find it mostly unbelievable.
Who would do this? Where would they get these fasteners? How would they
cut the new slot? What discipline would require it?

I used to spend hours working with fastener reps and never heard of such a
thing. I've made specialized screws, but never this. I even know jewelers
that have no need of such an item.

I'm not being dismissive, just very curious. We've heard one fellow mention
gunsmithing. I guess I can see handmade custom guns that cost in the tens
of thousands of dollars doing this. I've not seen this in Concours de
Elegance or aircraft. Is being anal a craft?

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-07-10, dadiOH wrote:

Does anyone else bother to do this?

Yes

Is this a sign of OCD?

Absolutely not! But checking for same in other people's houses might be

I wanna meet the person that can casually spot dust on an electrical outlet plate
screw slot!

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
I think that some folks actually have screws that have doubly thick
heads. They put them in and tighten them up, then they file them
flush and re-cut the slot in the exact alignment that they desire.

How did they get them out after filing them flush?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
I think that some folks actually have screws that have doubly thick
heads. They put them in and tighten them up, then they file them
flush and re-cut the slot in the exact alignment that they desire.

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in a long time. Perhaps
they come with a paint-by-numbers kit too?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:06:18 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in a long time.

I'm getting a strong feeling there's a lot of tongue in the cheek of
this thread.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/9/2009 12:01 PM Tom Watson spake thus:

I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice
when installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

To me, this means that the slots are vertical and that they all match.

If I might be permitted a second reply here, I'd just like to say that I
don't even consider this a Good Thing (lining up all one's screw slots).

I think this helps to give whatever piece the screws are attached to a
fake look, kind of like a computer graphic produced with an illustration
program here all the screws are copied and pasted with their slots in
exactly the same orientation. If you're happy with the CAD look to your
woodworking pieces, then go for it.

Random screw slot alignments are part of the real world. Get used to it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 7/9/2009 12:01 PM Tom Watson spake thus:

I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice
when installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

To me, this means that the slots are vertical and that they all match.

If I might be permitted a second reply here, I'd just like to say that I
don't even consider this a Good Thing (lining up all one's screw slots).

I think this helps to give whatever piece the screws are attached to a
fake look, kind of like a computer graphic produced with an illustration
program here all the screws are copied and pasted with their slots in
exactly the same orientation. If you're happy with the CAD look to your
woodworking pieces, then go for it.

Random screw slot alignments are part of the real world. Get used to it.

But, I *know* I'm in the real world. I'm not looking at the faceplates
thinking "hmmm, wonder if I slipped into the computer world, better check
the faceplates..." It's a sign of attention to detail.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I visited the Colonial Williamsburg gunshop a few years back and they showed
me a built-from-scratch Kentucky flintlock that they had just completed on
commission of $20,000. Back when those flintlocks were new technology
people felt strongly enough about personal firearms to write the Second
Amendment to our U.S. Constitution.

David Merrill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 10, 2:10*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Random screw slot alignments are part of the real world. Get used to it.

...as this collector's Cartier watch would seem to support.

http://www.brittons-watches.co.uk/wa...rtier/1348.jpg

If all those screws were to line up, it would look Chinese.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-07-09, John Grossbohlin
wrote:

[...]

That movie is titled "The Gunsmith of Williamsburg" and features Wallace
Gusler... It's on DVD now! As far as I know the rifle made in the movie
still hangs in the gunsmith shop.

Files were old by the 16th century. ;~)

I learned a lot while there but wasn't there long enough to learn it all.
Like any place else with a budget they have their bad times... They laid off
about 30 people around the time I left.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Jay Pique wrote:
I think that some folks actually have screws that have doubly thick
heads. They put them in and tighten them up, then they file them
flush and re-cut the slot in the exact alignment that they desire.

How did they get them out after filing them flush?

You mark the location of the new slot before removing the screw... or if the
temp slot is sufficiently out of sync with the new one, start the new slot
with a hacksaw, then remove the screw and make the new head.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 7/9/2009 12:01 PM Tom Watson spake thus:

I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice
when installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

To me, this means that the slots are vertical and that they all match.

If I might be permitted a second reply here, I'd just like to say that I
don't even consider this a Good Thing (lining up all one's screw slots).

I think this helps to give whatever piece the screws are attached to a
fake look, kind of like a computer graphic produced with an illustration
program here all the screws are copied and pasted with their slots in
exactly the same orientation. If you're happy with the CAD look to your
woodworking pieces, then go for it.

Random screw slot alignments are part of the real world. Get used to it.

For most items I'd have to agree with you... look at high end guns and other
high end items and aligned slots are pretty typical. Not sure I'd do it on a
deck though no matter how nice the deck. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

For example, see this one (link may outdate when rifle is sold)and note the
close-ups of the patch box and the barrel tang.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(rzs...t Num=AAG-482
Or he http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FileoubleRifleBreech.jpg Not every
firearm is crafted to this level of quality:
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(rzs...81&styleID=280
but screw slot alignment has been long considered as a key indicator of
quality gunsmithing as have special, narrow slots that have the practical
purpose of resisting attacks with wedge shaped hardware store screwdrivers.
Conversely buggered-up screw slots and over-tightened screws are indicators
of insensitivity, incompetence and neglect by previous owners of a used
firearm.

Finally, you're not likely to see socket head cap screws or hex bolts on a
fine sporting firearm (though maybe on some specialized military or
competition rifle where performance trumps appearance).

David Merrill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-07-10, John Grossbohlin wrote:

That movie is titled "The Gunsmith of Williamsburg" and features Wallace
Gusler... It's on DVD now! As far as I know the rifle made in the movie
still hangs in the gunsmith shop.

Files were old by the 16th century. ;~)

I learned a lot while there but wasn't there long enough to learn it all.
Like any place else with a budget they have their bad times... They laid off
about 30 people around the time I left.

Sorry to hear you had to leave, John. I left my machine shop, one of my
best memories, under similar circumstances, it being a govt thing and a prez
admin change, so I know how that works.

I recall Williamsburg back in '64, before the electronic cash registers were
installed. Great experience. It was "real" back then.

Thanks for the exact title name. I may jes buy a copy. It would be great to show
to my firearm friendly friends.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-07-10, John Grossbohlin
wrote:

[...]

It's pretty cheap.....
http://www.williamsburgmarketplace.c...ortBy=featured

I like the cabinet maker movie too.

http://www.williamsburgmarketplace.c...ortBy=featured

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice
when installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

To me, this means that the slots are vertical and that they all match.

I've used this term for years and I've been asked where the term came
from.

My poor memory seems to recall that it is a term from motorheads who
trick out old cars for shows but I'm not at all clear on that.

Has anyone else heard this term?

Does anyone else bother to do this?

Is this a sign of OCD?

Tom, of course you must know that you're either leaving them a little loose
or stripping the threads just a bit, right? And since it goes against the
grain to leave a fastener a little loose, they tend to end up overtightened
and thus stripped out a bit, true?

No problem, I suppose, if it doesn't need to last too long, or if it'll
never ever in life have to be taken apart again for any reason whatsoever.
Or, to cut you a little slack, if structural integrity is unimportant.

But I maintain old wooden boats, and I'll tell you that I disregard that
little visual detail in favor of getting them just as right as I know how to
do it without concern for which way the slots point.

Tom Dacon

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
m:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

*trim*

Random screw slot alignments are part of the real world. Get used to
it.

For most items I'd have to agree with you... look at high end guns and
other high end items and aligned slots are pretty typical. Not sure
I'd do it on a deck though no matter how nice the deck. ;~)

John

The screws just aren't as visible on a deck as they are an electrical
outlet cover plate. It makes sense to align the screws on something
where they're quite visible, that's a sign of quality. On something
where the screws are hidden or reduced visibility, why bother?

On a deck you've got 8 screws (minimum) per board, but on only the
largest of outlet cover plates do you have 8 screws to align. (You don't
even have to align them the same way--just pick an easily recognized
pattern!)

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice
when installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

snip

How would it be to have a Torx Triple Square pattern screw head that
only filled half the countersink depth, and then you had a decorative
slotted head with a post that fit into the Torx. The Torx Triple
Square has enough opportunities to maintain orientation while allowing
for proper torque and the decorative (it could actually be working
plug in) head would allow a traditional look.

This would be particularly nice on oval headed brass.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice
when installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

snip

How would it be to have a Torx Triple Square pattern screw head that
only filled half the countersink depth, and then you had a decorative
slotted head with a post that fit into the Torx. *The Torx Triple
Square has enough opportunities to maintain orientation while allowing
for proper torque and the decorative (it could actually be *working
plug in) head would allow a traditional look.

This would be particularly nice on oval headed brass.

Regards,

Tom Watsonhttp://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

The Ronco Screw-Faux-Mo.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice
when installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

snip

How would it be to have a Torx Triple Square pattern screw head that
only filled half the countersink depth, and then you had a decorative
slotted head with a post that fit into the Torx. *The Torx Triple
Square has enough opportunities to maintain orientation while allowing
for proper torque and the decorative (it could actually be *working
plug in) head would allow a traditional look.

This would be particularly nice on oval headed brass.

Regards,

Tom Watsonhttp://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

The Ronco Screw-Faux-Mo.

Too bad Mr. Here is no longer with us.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 10, 3:23*pm, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message

Jay Pique wrote:
I think that some folks actually have screws that have doubly thick
heads. *They put them in and tighten them up, then they file them
flush and re-cut the slot in the exact alignment that they desire.

How did they get them out after filing them flush?

You mark the location of the new slot before removing the screw... or if the
temp slot is sufficiently out of sync with the new one, start the new slot
with a hacksaw, then remove the screw and make the new head.

Yes - that's what they do. I actually think that Conrad Sauer does it
that way on some of his planes.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 9, 12:01*pm, Tom Watson wrote:
I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice
when installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

To me, this means that the slots are vertical and that they all match.

I've used this term for years and I've been asked where the term came
from.

My poor memory seems to recall that it is a term from motorheads who
trick out old cars for shows but I'm not at all clear on that.

Has anyone else heard this term?

Does anyone else bother to do this?

Is this a sign of OCD?

IMNSHO, hide the screws! They have no business being seen in
wooddorking efforts.

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Tom Watson wrote:

Does anyone else bother to do this?

Is this a sign of OCD?

The difference between mediocrity and supremacy is attention to detail.

Make no excuses, nuff said ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

True enough and often today not practiced nearly enough ....however often
the difference between profit and loss or business success or failure is
knowing which details actually deserve the attention. I've as well had
hobbyist projects languish way to long in the shop while trying to exceed my
skill level although usually it is procrastination masquerading as trying to
get it just rightG....Rod