Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default "Dusting The Screws"

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 7/9/2009 12:01 PM Tom Watson spake thus:

I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice
when installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

To me, this means that the slots are vertical and that they all match.

If I might be permitted a second reply here, I'd just like to say that I
don't even consider this a Good Thing (lining up all one's screw slots).

I think this helps to give whatever piece the screws are attached to a
fake look, kind of like a computer graphic produced with an illustration
program here all the screws are copied and pasted with their slots in
exactly the same orientation. If you're happy with the CAD look to your
woodworking pieces, then go for it.

Random screw slot alignments are part of the real world. Get used to it.

For most items I'd have to agree with you... look at high end guns and other
high end items and aligned slots are pretty typical. Not sure I'd do it on a
deck though no matter how nice the deck. ;~)

John