Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default "Dusting The Screws"

PCPaul wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 15:01:35 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice when
installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

Is this a sign of OCD?

Probably. Although I put it down to doing a decent engineering
apprenticeship, where I had it drummed into me that small details
*mattered*.

On the other hand, if the torque on the screws matters then this is
absolutely the wrong thing to do. I know I've run into one instance
(electrical switchplate) where lining up a screw with the others made it
either too tight or too loose--I was worried about cracking the
faceplate or having the screw unwind itself.

Chris