Posted to rec.woodworking
David Merrill David Merrill is offline

Default "Dusting The Screws"

For example, see this one (link may outdate when rifle is sold)and note the
close-ups of the patch box and the barrel tang.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(rzs...t Num=AAG-482
Or he http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FileoubleRifleBreech.jpg Not every
firearm is crafted to this level of quality:
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(rzs...81&styleID=280
but screw slot alignment has been long considered as a key indicator of
quality gunsmithing as have special, narrow slots that have the practical
purpose of resisting attacks with wedge shaped hardware store screwdrivers.
Conversely buggered-up screw slots and over-tightened screws are indicators
of insensitivity, incompetence and neglect by previous owners of a used
firearm.

Finally, you're not likely to see socket head cap screws or hex bolts on a
fine sporting firearm (though maybe on some specialized military or
competition rifle where performance trumps appearance).

David Merrill

On 2009-07-10, Jay Pique wrote:

I think that some folks actually have screws that have doubly thick
heads. They put them in and tighten them up, then they file them
flush and re-cut the slot in the exact alignment that they desire.
I'd worry about over or under-torquing them the other way maybe.

While I find your premise intriguing, I also find it mostly unbelievable.
Who would do this? Where would they get these fasteners? How would they
cut the new slot? What discipline would require it?

I used to spend hours working with fastener reps and never heard of such a
thing. I've made specialized screws, but never this. I even know

jewelers
that have no need of such an item.

I'm not being dismissive, just very curious. We've heard one fellow

mention
gunsmithing. I guess I can see handmade custom guns that cost in the tens
of thousands of dollars doing this. I've not seen this in Concours de
Elegance or aircraft. Is being anal a craft?

nb