Posted to rec.woodworking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Screw U (was "Dusting The Screws")

On 2009-07-09, John Grossbohlin wrote:

with hand filed wood screws when I worked in the gunsmith shop at Colonial
Williamsburg. ;~)

Wow! A tip o' the hat to you.

I was snot-nosed punk working at a govt lab machine shop when our forman
came out to the floor and told everyone to knock off. He wheeled out a old
B&H 16mm projector and proceeded to show a two hour film on how a gun was
made in colonial times as recreated at the Williamsburg gunshop. As a
machinist, gun nut, and previous visitor to Williamsburg ('64), I can truly
say that was one of the most fascinating and instructive films I've ever
viewed.

I think the making of the screws, springs, and boring bit was the most
interesting. It was almost unthinkable to us, who had walls of fasteners
of every kind, that in those times, each screw was handmade. And who knew
file technology was developed as early as the 16th century. Great film. I
think it's still available as VHS.

Did you learn how to make the whole gun?

nb