Posted to rec.woodworking
notbob notbob is offline

Default "Dusting The Screws"

On 2009-07-10, Jay Pique wrote:

I think that some folks actually have screws that have doubly thick
heads. They put them in and tighten them up, then they file them
flush and re-cut the slot in the exact alignment that they desire.
I'd worry about over or under-torquing them the other way maybe.

While I find your premise intriguing, I also find it mostly unbelievable.
Who would do this? Where would they get these fasteners? How would they
cut the new slot? What discipline would require it?

I used to spend hours working with fastener reps and never heard of such a
thing. I've made specialized screws, but never this. I even know jewelers
that have no need of such an item.

I'm not being dismissive, just very curious. We've heard one fellow mention
gunsmithing. I guess I can see handmade custom guns that cost in the tens
of thousands of dollars doing this. I've not seen this in Concours de
Elegance or aircraft. Is being anal a craft?

nb