Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dave

Default "auto-breakoff" head screws, or HUGE pop rivets?

looking for a mechanical method to attach sheet metal to thick steel
without welding, drilling, or tapping. preferably leaving behind
tamper-proof (or 'nearly so') heads. what's a guy ask for when he wants
a self-drilling, self-threading machine bolts that have heads on them
that snap off after a certain torque is reached?

alternately, are there bolts made (just like above) except they'd have
TWO heads 'stacked' in an hourglass-like config, so that I'd have to CUT
their uppper heads off with my cutoff wheel, manually? (which'd be
perfectly fine with me)

alternately, what's the biggest diameter pop-rivet that can be 'manually
popped'? I mean like for which a tool that's "fairly readily available"
new -or- used?

thanks guys,

toolie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Marrs

Have you considered using a Hilti Gun? Might be cheaper, and sure would be
faster. I've
used them to attach everything from sheet metal to 2" flooring on to heavy
steel I-beams.

One thing they definitely are is noisier! Ear plugs AND muffs if you are in
a confined space.

Bill

"dave" wrote in message
looking for a mechanical method to attach sheet metal to thick steel
without welding, drilling, or tapping. preferably leaving behind
tamper-proof (or 'nearly so') heads. what's a guy ask for when he wants a
self-drilling, self-threading machine bolts that have heads on them that
snap off after a certain torque is reached?

alternately, are there bolts made (just like above) except they'd have TWO
heads 'stacked' in an hourglass-like config, so that I'd have to CUT their
uppper heads off with my cutoff wheel, manually? (which'd be perfectly
fine with me)

alternately, what's the biggest diameter pop-rivet that can be 'manually
popped'? I mean like for which a tool that's "fairly readily available"
new -or- used?

thanks guys,

toolie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Powder-actuated tooling would probably work, would be your fastest
means, if you're going against structural steel like I-beams. If it's
non-structural, some of the construction adhesives might work, too. Or
a combination, glue, then fasten/rivet.

You can get pop rivets at least up into 1/4" size, I've got a tool to
squeeze them, it's got handles at least 2' long. HF has them, where
you'd get the rivets as cheap is another thing. See:

I got mine to handle certain pop rivets on the van that hold accessory
motors in place, had to drill them out to replace a motor. Works with
the aluminum rivets, haven't had any steel ones to try out.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

dave wrote:

alternately, what's the biggest diameter pop-rivet that can be 'manually
popped'? I mean like for which a tool that's "fairly readily available"
new -or- used?

Mine is going up to 6.4mm with steel rivets.

Nick
--
DIY-DRO // Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
Available now in USA / Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin

I find that most self tapping screws, whilst being made of a substance
harder than diamond when you try to drill a broken one out, have heads
that deform like butter with my screwdrivers. Could you not use some
ordinary self tappers and then grind/drill/use the wrong kind of
screwdriver on them?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Robin wrote:
ordinary self tappers and then grind/drill/use the wrong kind of
screwdriver on them?

On this theme of incapacitating ordinary screws: use Phillips heads and
put a dab of JB weld in the recess. Digging out the JB weld would be
possible, but very time consuming. Bob

PS - when I told Thunderbird to Send this, I had misspelled "Phillips"
as "philips" and Thunderbird's suggested correction was "phi lips",
whatever that means. Spell correction is not a strong point with T-B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Bill Marrs wrote:

Have you considered using a Hilti Gun? Might be cheaper, and sure would be
faster. I've
used them to attach everything from sheet metal to 2" flooring on to heavy
steel I-beams.

One thing they definitely are is noisier! Ear plugs AND muffs if you are in
a confined space.

Second the Hilti suggestion. Note that the plugs and muffs are only
needed because you're nailing into steel, otherwise the guns are
silenced a fair amount and you don't need them. My DX36M just makes a
dull thump when nailing 2x plates into concrete.

Pete C.

Bill

"dave" wrote in message
looking for a mechanical method to attach sheet metal to thick steel
without welding, drilling, or tapping. preferably leaving behind
tamper-proof (or 'nearly so') heads. what's a guy ask for when he wants a
self-drilling, self-threading machine bolts that have heads on them that
snap off after a certain torque is reached?

alternately, are there bolts made (just like above) except they'd have TWO
heads 'stacked' in an hourglass-like config, so that I'd have to CUT their
uppper heads off with my cutoff wheel, manually? (which'd be perfectly
fine with me)

alternately, what's the biggest diameter pop-rivet that can be 'manually
popped'? I mean like for which a tool that's "fairly readily available"
new -or- used?

thanks guys,

toolie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob AZ

Toolie

The word you are looking for is possibly "frangible" head screws.

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Keith Marshall

looking for a mechanical method to attach sheet metal to thick steel
without welding, drilling, or tapping. preferably leaving behind
tamper-proof (or 'nearly so') heads. what's a guy ask for when he wants a
self-drilling, self-threading machine bolts that have heads on them that
snap off after a certain torque is reached?

Except for the not wanting to drill part it sounds like a good use for
"Drive Screws". It took me awhile to find them but McMaster Carr has them.
Search for "Type U Drive Screws" and scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://www.mcmaster.com

You just drill a hole and tap them in.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"dave" wrote in message

alternately, are there bolts made (just like above) except they'd have TWO
heads 'stacked' in an hourglass-like config, so that I'd have to CUT their
uppper heads off with my cutoff wheel, manually? (which'd be perfectly
fine with me)

alternately, what's the biggest diameter pop-rivet that can be 'manually
popped'? I mean like for which a tool that's "fairly readily available"
new -or- used?

thanks guys,

toolie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There is a sloted security screw that can't be backed out. The driver
cams out of the slot on reverse. I think they are called anti reverse
screws.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R Brooks

dave wrote:
looking for a mechanical method to attach sheet metal to thick steel
without welding, drilling, or tapping. preferably leaving behind
tamper-proof (or 'nearly so') heads. what's a guy ask for when he wants
a self-drilling, self-threading machine bolts that have heads on them
that snap off after a certain torque is reached?

alternately, are there bolts made (just like above) except they'd have
TWO heads 'stacked' in an hourglass-like config, so that I'd have to CUT
their uppper heads off with my cutoff wheel, manually? (which'd be
perfectly fine with me)

alternately, what's the biggest diameter pop-rivet that can be 'manually
popped'? I mean like for which a tool that's "fairly readily available"
new -or- used?

Break-off head screws certainly exist: they're in the RS Components
catalogue (& doubtless others, too).
Picture a round-head bolt, with a cone attached pointy-end to the centre
of the round head. At the base of the cone is a hex. You put them in
with a wrench, & snap the cone off from the roundhead part.

Possibly not the best for you, though: looks like you'd have to drill &
tap all those holes first (PITA...)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Cutt

dave wrote:
looking for a mechanical method to attach sheet metal to thick steel
without welding, drilling, or tapping. preferably leaving behind
tamper-proof (or 'nearly so') heads. what's a guy ask for when he wants
a self-drilling, self-threading machine bolts that have heads on them
that snap off after a certain torque is reached?

alternately, are there bolts made (just like above) except they'd have
TWO heads 'stacked' in an hourglass-like config, so that I'd have to CUT
their uppper heads off with my cutoff wheel, manually? (which'd be
perfectly fine with me)

alternately, what's the biggest diameter pop-rivet that can be 'manually
popped'? I mean like for which a tool that's "fairly readily available"
new -or- used?

thanks guys,

toolie

Another possible way to get there is to use Robertson screws . Once
installed you set a small piece of lead shot in the hole and tap it in
with a hammer . I know some commercial installations are doing this . It
is fast simple and cheap . Luck
Ken Cutt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk

On Wed, 24 May 2006 16:29:56 -0700, Ken Cutt
wrote:

dave wrote:
[...]

You can also use either Phillips or torx and hit them with a
drill bit or countersink after installing. Heck with some of
the Phillips I've used you probably wouldn't have to do
anything extra

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Adjusting audio head on Pana NV-9100 U-Matic Wild Bill Electronics Repair 0 June 12th 04 01:41 AM
BP Round Ram J Head Adapter? dka Metalworking 1 March 17th 04 04:40 AM
Countersunk screw-head diameter and angle Jim Metalworking 17 March 8th 04 09:45 PM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM
Fisher cassette heads bg Electronics Repair 5 July 30th 03 05:04 AM