Wild Bill

Default Adjusting audio head on Pana NV-9100 U-Matic

What criteria should I listen & watch for when adjusting the head?

In any service manual, the procedure for video head adjustments requires a
factory alignment tape and a scope to compare the waveforms to the manual's
images.

Any exception to that head adjustment procedure would be using an AC volt
meter to check an audio head adjustment in an audio tape player.

Cheers
WB

"DaveC" wrote in message
al.net...
OK, here's what I found.

The unit is a Panasonic NV-9100 U-Vision 3/4 inch cassette player (no

record
function).

Tape path adjustment went "textbook". I just adjusted the supply-side and
take-up-side guides so that the tape rides *right* in the ridge.

I'm having a bit of a difficult time determining what the screws near the

A/C
head are, and what each of them does. Photo he

http://home.covad.net/~tmcenter/peni...PanaAChead.jpg

Screw 1 & 2: hold the entire assembly to the chassis
Screw 3 & 4: set the azimuth adjustment (#3 has a spring under its head)
Screw 5 & 6: provide the pivot of the head mounting plate and a means to
adjust height (?)

The assembly is two plates: one, the base plate (gold in color), is

mounted
to the chassis by screws #1 and #2. The mounting plate (silver in color),

which the head itself is attached, is perched 1/4-inch above the base

plate,
teetering on the two black socket-head screws #5 and #6 (the bottom of

these
screws just rest on the base plate). The whole mounting plate rocks back

and
forth on the ends of these two screws. The azimuth of the mounting plate

and
head assembly is set by adjusting screws #3 and #4.

It seems that head angle (toward the tape or away from the tape) and head
height is set by adjusting the two "pivot" screws #5 and #6. I've never

seen
this arrangement before. Am I right to presume that #5 & #6 are to be

turned
to adjust the head height and angle to the tape?

What criteria should I listen & watch for when adjusting the head?

Also, is there a source for replacement rubber parts for this model? The
belts seem to have a fair amount of life left, but the pinch roller could

use
replacement right now.

What's a good tape guide post locking substance? These have no lock set
screws. Can I use cyanoacrylate?

Any assistance would help immensely.

Thanks,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

BP Round Ram J Head Adapter? dka Metalworking 1 March 17th 04 04:40 AM
How to Adjust the Tape Path Alignment on Newer VCRs Jim Electronics Repair 24 March 15th 04 09:30 PM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM
Fisher cassette heads bg Electronics Repair 5 July 30th 03 05:04 AM