Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New planer advice

I'm giving up on my DeWalt DW733, and want something a little more
heavy duty, longer lasting. Not looking for a 20" giganta-planer, but
a 13" or 15" belt driven model I'll still be able to get parts for in
several years. Any recommendations? I've seen a Delta DC33 on a
craigslisting for $500. Not really nearby, but if it's worth it I'll
make the drive. What about current Jet JPM-13 or Grizzly G453 or
G1037?

Cheers
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in message
I'm giving up on my DeWalt DW733, and want something a little more
heavy duty, longer lasting. Not looking for a 20" giganta-planer, but
a 13" or 15" belt driven model I'll still be able to get parts for in
several years. Any recommendations? I've seen a Delta DC33 on a
craigslisting for $500. Not really nearby, but if it's worth it I'll
make the drive. What about current Jet JPM-13 or Grizzly G453 or
G1037?

Cheers

If the DeWalt is not HD enough for you I seriously doubt you will consider
any of the portables HD either. The stationary planers, 15: range an up
typically use the same design year after year. They are thickness planers
and don't promise a baby's but finish but do what they are suppose to do. I
personally have a Delta X5 series 15" stationary planer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
" wrote in message
I'm giving up on my DeWalt DW733, and want something a little more
heavy duty, longer lasting. Not looking for a 20" giganta-planer, but
a 13" or 15" belt driven model I'll still be able to get parts for in
several years. Any recommendations? I've seen a Delta DC33 on a
craigslisting for $500. Not really nearby, but if it's worth it I'll
make the drive. What about current Jet JPM-13 or Grizzly G453 or
G1037?

Cheers

If the DeWalt is not HD enough for you I seriously doubt you will consider
any of the portables HD either. The stationary planers, 15: range an up
typically use the same design year after year. They are thickness planers
and don't promise a baby's but finish but do what they are suppose to do. I
personally have a Delta X5 series 15" stationary planer.

How do you like that Delta, Leon? Isn't that the one with the
top-mounted motor and stationary table? My Dad has the Grizzly version
of that planer, and I was considering the same model, but by the time I
was ready to buy Grizzly was no longer carrying it. My Dad seems to
have a bit of an issue with its dust collection efficiency, but that may
not be the fault of the planer.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I'm giving up on my DeWalt DW733, and want something a little more
heavy duty, longer lasting. Not looking for a 20" giganta-planer, but
a 13" or 15" belt driven model I'll still be able to get parts for in
several years. Any recommendations? I've seen a Delta DC33 on a
craigslisting for $500. Not really nearby, but if it's worth it I'll
make the drive. What about current Jet JPM-13 or Grizzly G453 or
G1037?

Cheers

Based on the models you mentioned I'm probably as qualified to answer as
anyone; I own the Grizzly G0453 and my buddy owns the Jet JPM-13CS (CS
== closed stand). And from what I can see the Grizzly G1037 is pretty
much identical to the Jet JPM-13...

I think my buddy's opinion of the Jet is mixed; it does the job ok, but
it's nothing to get excited about. He considers the molder feature to
be a waste; he's never found any need for it, especially after looking
into the cost of the cutters (none of which come with the machine). Nor
is it blessed with an overabundance of power, but I don't recall him
complaining about that. I don't know how well the dust collection
works, but I haven't heard him complain about that either. I can find
out more from him if you're interested.

I haven't had my Grizzly G0453 very long, but so far I've been very
pleased. Make no mistake though; this is a serious beast - it weighs
around 650 pounds, and that's heavier than my Unisaur! If you look at
Jet's website they also make a model very similar to the Grizzly (the
JWP-15DX), but from what I can tell (at a glance) the Grizzly sports
slightly better features; the built-in mobile base for one, and all
cast-iron tables for another. The Grizzly was perfectly adjusted right
off the pallet, and all I had to do was clean off all the shipping
grease (THAT was a pain) and attach a power plug and it was making
snipe-free cuts in no time. Two-speed operation for allows for both
fast and fine-finish cuts, and the dust collection feature works flawlessly.

Also, regarding the Grizzly G1037 and the nearly identical Jet JPM-13;
both planers weight just over 200 pounds and have 1-1/2HP motors. I
don't know what the cost of the Jet is, but you'll notice the Grizzly
G1037 is $895, whereas the 3HP G0453 is only $55 more at $950... And
Grizzly is still offering free shipping on that machine right now.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message

How do you like that Delta, Leon? Isn't that the one with the top-mounted
motor and stationary table? My Dad has the Grizzly version of that
planer, and I was considering the same model, but by the time I was ready
to buy Grizzly was no longer carrying it. My Dad seems to have a bit of
an issue with its dust collection efficiency, but that may not be the
fault of the planer.

Yes it is a top mounted motor model. I am happy with it and have no
complaints, yet. I might have a complaint when it is time to sharpen the
blades. IIRC the motor will be in the way. I have mine hooked up to a 4",
20' clear flexible hose connected to a 1100 cfm dust collector. Hardly a
shaving escapes. Dust collection on this particular planer is superior.
the planer actually had a 5" port and I had to adapt it down to 4".

One draw back to the stationary planers is that most if not all have the
seriated in feed rollers. If you make a very light pass the planer will not
cut deep to remove the imprints and that requires a pit more sanding. The
trick is to not take a very light touch the last pass through.
Unfortunately the depth gauge is pretty much to tell when you are getting
close. I very recently added a Wixey planer depth gauge to the planer so
that I can dial in to the nearest .01" and not have to sneak up on the cut.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I guess I should have left the "heavy duty" out. What I meant was it
should last longer than a few hundred board feet before having to need
repair (like mine DW733). "Heavy duty" as in having screws or bolts
that don't strip the first time you try to remove them. The dollar is
the bottom line anymore though and good nuts, bolts, screws, and
bushings are heavy, and cost. Obviously these type planers were not
meant to last (or be worked on). What amazes me was that it actually
did the job quite well (for the short time it worked).

On Mar 26, 4:36*pm, "Leon" wrote:
" wrote in message

I'm giving up on my DeWalt DW733, and want something a little more
heavy duty, longer lasting. *Not looking for a 20" giganta-planer, but
a 13" or 15" belt driven model I'll still be able to get parts for in
several years. *Any recommendations? *I've seen a Delta DC33 on a
craigslisting for $500. *Not really nearby, but if it's worth it I'll
make the drive. *What about current Jet JPM-13 or Grizzly G453 or
G1037?

Cheers

If the DeWalt is not HD enough for you I seriously doubt you will consider
any of the portables HD either. *The stationary planers, 15: range an up
typically use the same design year after year. *They are thickness planers
and don't promise a baby's but finish but do what they are suppose to do. *I
personally have a Delta X5 series 15" stationary planer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

So I'm wondering now whether it would be better just to get another
consumer-grade planer and toss it in a few years like the DeWalt, and
start all over? I have a friend that has an ancient Belsaw stationary
planer that he picked up for a song and it produces a glass like
finish, so I don't know. Just frustrated at this point and my wife
doesn't understand why a $375 planer didn't last forever.

On Mar 26, 7:30*pm, "Leon" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Steve Turner" wrote in message

How do you like that Delta, Leon? Isn't that the one with the top-mounted
motor and stationary table? My Dad has the Grizzly version of that
planer, and I was considering the same model, but by the time I was ready
to buy Grizzly was no longer carrying it. My Dad seems to have a bit of
an issue with its dust collection efficiency, but that may not be the
fault of the planer.

Yes it is a top mounted motor model. I am happy with it and have no
complaints, yet. I might have a complaint when it is time to sharpen the
blades. IIRC the motor will be in the way.

Yeah, I can see that being an issue. I had to disassemble the topside
of my Grizzly G0453 to clean up all that damn shipping grease, and
that's when I discovered that access to the knives is a snap.

I have mine hooked up to a 4",
20' clear flexible hose connected to a 1100 cfm dust collector. Hardly a
shaving escapes. Dust collection on this particular planer is superior.
the planer actually had a 5" port and I had to adapt it down to 4".

I don't know if the Grizzly had a 5" dust port, but I think my Dad is
also running a 4" line to his 1200cfm collector. As I recall, he said
it collects fine when he's planing hardwood, but whenever he runs any
kind of pine through it that's when it clogs up inside the dust chute.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

I am obviously am lucky. My 733 other than a motor brush change and 3
(6)sets of knives has gone through over 500 board feet of red oak and black
walnut.I do keep the cuts light though.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 26, 8:50*pm, " wrote:
So I'm wondering now whether it would be better just to get another
consumer-grade planer and toss it in a few years like the DeWalt, and
start all over? *I have a friend that has an ancient Belsaw stationary
planer that he picked up for a song and it produces a glass like
finish, so I don't know. *Just frustrated at this point and my wife
doesn't understand why a $375 planer didn't last forever.

If you want to go this route, I've had the Delta 22-580 for about 4
years - the only problem I've had is the depth scale is now out of
whack. Honestly, beyond the first few times I used the planer, I
haven't looked at the scale, so that's not a big issue for me. I've
run probably 800 - 1000 feet of ash, along with various other
hardwoods through it and sharp blades are the only thing it's ever
needed. I'd recommend this planer to anyone looking in the 'better
quality consumer' range.

Regarding your stripped out screws... you're not using one of those
new cordless impact drivers to assemble/disassemble your planer, are
you? I have a buddy that used an 18v Rigid on some of his tools, and
he kept stripping out the smaller screws - those drivers can put out a
lot of torque!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon,

Is the Delta X5 made in the USA or overseas? I don't have a nearby
retailer to, conveniently, go view one. Seems the average price is
about $1400.

Thanks.
Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Thanks!

Damn good to see a hands on review around here for a change, instead of
third hand opinion and Googlespert supposition ... and a well done one at
that!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
Leon,

Is the Delta X5 made in the USA or overseas? I don't have a nearby
retailer to, conveniently, go view one. Seems the average price is
about $1400.

Thanks.
Sonny

Like about 89% of the big machinery, overseas, IIRC. I got mine for about
$1100 3 years ago. IMHO one big advantage that the Delta has is that on
mine the mobile base and the fold away anti-pinch roller in feed and out
feed extension tables were included.

Posted to rec.woodworking

FWIW, I got my 733 in 2001 and it has seen "thousands" of bf. I don't expect
it to last forever but it has served me well.

I think you got a lemon, and I think that you *can/should* expect to put a
couple thousand BF though a lunchbox planer.

-Steve

On Mar 26, 4:36 pm, "Leon" wrote:
" wrote in message

I'm giving up on my DeWalt DW733, and want something a little more
heavy duty, longer lasting. Not looking for a 20" giganta-planer, but
a 13" or 15" belt driven model I'll still be able to get parts for in
several years. Any recommendations? I've seen a Delta DC33 on a
craigslisting for $500. Not really nearby, but if it's worth it I'll
make the drive. What about current Jet JPM-13 or Grizzly G453 or
G1037?

Cheers

If the DeWalt is not HD enough for you I seriously doubt you will consider
any of the portables HD either. The stationary planers, 15: range an up
typically use the same design year after year. They are thickness planers
and don't promise a baby's but finish but do what they are suppose to do.
personally have a Delta X5 series 15" stationary planer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"StephenM" wrote:

FWIW, I got my 733 in 2001 and it has seen "thousands" of bf. I
don't expect it to last forever but it has served me well.

I think you got a lemon, and I think that you *can/should* expect to
put a couple thousand BF though a lunchbox planer.

I'll 2nd the above.

My 733 doesn't owe me anything.

Only problem was that eventually couldn't set planer to less than 1".

Called DeWalt tech service, they talked me thru the fix which was to
remove a washer on each guide post.

Still runs like a champ.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Right. What I was getting at was that the finish rarely, if ever had
snipe in it. And if it did, it was because I needed to adjust the
tables.

Don't be intoxicated by the glass like finish, first time you get a nick in
a knife and you are back to sanding. *It is a temporary condition basically.
A thickness planer is not intended to be a finished product machine, it is a
thicknesser.

Posted to rec.woodworking

My 733 doesn't owe me anything.

Only problem was that eventually couldn't set planer to less than 1".

Called DeWalt tech service, they talked me thru the fix which was to
remove a washer on each guide post.

Lew, could you expand on that. The one issue I have with my 733 is that
adjusting the height (thickness) is upward in the low range take an
unreasonable amount of torque. Is that the symptom you encountered?

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Mar 27, 7:30 am, "StephenM" wrote:
My 733 doesn't owe me anything.

Only problem was that eventually couldn't set planer to less than 1".

Called DeWalt tech service, they talked me thru the fix which was to
remove a washer on each guide post.

Lew, could you expand on that. The one issue I have with my 733 is that
adjusting the height (thickness) is upward in the low range take an
unreasonable amount of torque. Is that the symptom you encountered?

Thanks,

Steve

Lew's right about Steve being right about the 733's performance.
Mine's quite used, and all I've really done to it is knife changes.
Steve, apply a little lubricant to the screws where they pass through
the planer head assembly. Works for me. Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

"StephenM" wrote:

Lew, could you expand on that. The one issue I have with my 733 is
that adjusting the height (thickness) is upward in the low range
take an unreasonable amount of torque. Is that the symptom you
encountered?

Yep. Call DeWalt.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 08:25:05 -0400, StephenM wrote:

FWIW, I got my 733 in 2001 and it has seen "thousands" of bf. I don't
expect it to last forever but it has served me well.

I think you got a lemon, and I think that you *can/should* expect to put
a couple thousand BF though a lunchbox planer.

I'll second that. My ancient Ryobi AP10 is still going strong although
it is getting a bit noisy. I don't use it heavily, but over the 15-20
years I've had it I've surely run that much through it. Another
woodworker I know also has one he still uses.

Of course, one could say tools were built better 20 years ago, but
remember the Ryobi was the 1st "portable" planer. I would have expected
a lot more problems than they had.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The Delta is heavy duty and chain driven. It will
plane all day long and produce a fairly decent finish.

It has a weird dust collection outlet but that can
be handled with a reducer.

It ain't pretty but it's strong and reliable.

wrote:
I'm giving up on my DeWalt DW733, and want something a little more
heavy duty, longer lasting. Not looking for a 20" giganta-planer, but
a 13" or 15" belt driven model I'll still be able to get parts for in
several years. Any recommendations? I've seen a Delta DC33 on a
craigslisting for $500. Not really nearby, but if it's worth it I'll
make the drive. What about current Jet JPM-13 or Grizzly G453 or
G1037?

Cheers

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
wrote:
So I'm wondering now whether it would be better just to get another
consumer-grade planer and toss it in a few years like the DeWalt, and
start all over? I have a friend that has an ancient Belsaw stationary
planer that he picked up for a song and it produces a glass like
finish, so I don't know. Just frustrated at this point and my wife
doesn't understand why a $375 planer didn't last forever.

If you're going to go that route, you might try searching craigslist or
eBay for a used (they're no longer being manufactured) Delta 22-540.
This was Delta's entry level planer for quite a few years and are fairly
simplistic; 12" width, no dust collection port, and no head lock for
snipe control. However, they were all-metal construction and built like
a tank, and my understanding is that they last "forever". I had one
that was about 10 years old, and I just sold it when I bought the new
Grizzly a month or so ago. It was loud and messy and unrefined and it
sniped pretty badly sometimes, but it was certainly reliable. If I
wasn't strapped for space I probably would have kept it...

I have one of those, and have never had any mechanical problems with it.
I bought the exhaust port addon, which saves lots of cleanup. I also
experience snipe, but have had some luck in various magic incantations
and movements that reduce it to an acceptable level. I read that the
big nut on the blade holder came loose on some units, but mine has been
tight every time I've checked.

It it noisy. I SAID IT IS NOISY!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tom" wrote in message

Lew's right about Steve being right about the 733's performance.
Mine's quite used, and all I've really done to it is knife changes.
Steve, apply a little lubricant to the screws where they pass through
the planer head assembly. Works for me. Tom

I concur that Tom is right about Lew being right about Steve being right
about the 733'2 performance. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Depends on what part of the planer you are
talking about.

Less than 5 years ago, everything but the
motor was made here.

That has almost certainly changed.

Go here for several excellent views of the
machine including cutter shots.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=17887

Sonny wrote:
Leon,

Is the Delta X5 made in the USA or overseas? I don't have a nearby
retailer to, conveniently, go view one. Seems the average price is
about $1400.

Thanks.
Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Depends on what part of the planer you are
talking about.

Less than 5 years ago, everything but the
motor was made here.

Well mine is 3 years old. I figured mine was built over there because the
paint is not sticking to the iron and most likely because the machine oil
was not removed properly.

That has almost certainly changed.

Go here for several excellent views of the
machine including cutter shots.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=17887

Posted to rec.woodworking

You know.. I can't remember exactly when I got
mine, but I thought it was along about 2002 but
I haven't had any problems other than the cheesy
plastic DC connection that keeps breaking at the
bolt tabs.

It very clearly says "Made in USA" on the cabinet.

The motor is from somewhere else.

Leon wrote:

Well mine is 3 years old. I figured mine was built over there because the
paint is not sticking to the iron and most likely because the machine oil
was not removed properly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
news
You know.. I can't remember exactly when I got
mine, but I thought it was along about 2002 but
I haven't had any problems other than the cheesy
plastic DC connection that keeps breaking at the
bolt tabs.

It very clearly says "Made in USA" on the cabinet.

The motor is from somewhere else.

OK you made me get up and look.

I ordered and purchased this planer in Houston Jan 2, 2006.

The Stand, Delta, Jackson, Tennessee, Made in Taiwan
The Planer, Delta, Jackson, Tennessee, Made in China
The Motor, Delta, Jackson, Tennessee, Made in China

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think that the one I got was about the time
that Delta was closing a number of plants.

The Mississippi plant was where a number of
larger machines were built and I think that
the last of the Unisaws built in the USA came
from there.

A good bit of the stuff is now made in Tennessee
at the older Porter Cable plant.

There is a retired Delta guy on this list that
surfaces from time to time and he may be able
to give us a better place/time line of when
things happened.

I have NO idea of current production.

Leon wrote:

OK you made me get up and look.

I ordered and purchased this planer in Houston Jan 2, 2006.

The Stand, Delta, Jackson, Tennessee, Made in Taiwan
The Planer, Delta, Jackson, Tennessee, Made in China
The Motor, Delta, Jackson, Tennessee, Made in China

New planer - advice before I use it? mac davis Woodworking 54 July 2nd 07 05:07 AM
Advice on Planer. knowone Woodworking 7 December 16th 05 02:29 AM
Planer advice Art Ransom Woodworking 3 October 17th 05 04:24 PM
Planer (powered) advice? al UK diy 18 March 9th 05 09:18 AM
Planer Advice od oy Woodworking 13 September 9th 04 07:11 PM