Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] dukes909@yahoo.com is offline

Default New planer advice

Great information, thanks. I wondered about the molder part of the
Jet.

On Mar 26, 6:02*pm, Steve Turner wrote:
wrote:
I'm giving up on my DeWalt DW733, and want something a little more
heavy duty, longer lasting. *Not looking for a 20" giganta-planer, but
a 13" or 15" belt driven model I'll still be able to get parts for in
several years. *Any recommendations? *I've seen a Delta DC33 on a
craigslisting for $500. *Not really nearby, but if it's worth it I'll
make the drive. *What about current Jet JPM-13 or Grizzly G453 or
G1037?

Cheers

Based on the models you mentioned I'm probably as qualified to answer as
anyone; I own the Grizzly G0453 and my buddy owns the Jet JPM-13CS (CS
== closed stand). *And from what I can see the Grizzly G1037 is pretty
much identical to the Jet JPM-13...

I think my buddy's opinion of the Jet is mixed; it does the job ok, but
it's nothing to get excited about. *He considers the molder feature to
be a waste; he's never found any need for it, especially after looking
into the cost of the cutters (none of which come with the machine). *Nor
is it blessed with an overabundance of power, but I don't recall him
complaining about that. *I don't know how well the dust collection
works, but I haven't heard him complain about that either. *I can find
out more from him if you're interested.

I haven't had my Grizzly G0453 very long, but so far I've been very
pleased. *Make no mistake though; this is a serious beast - it weighs
around 650 pounds, and that's heavier than my Unisaur! *If you look at
Jet's website they also make a model very similar to the Grizzly (the
JWP-15DX), but from what I can tell (at a glance) the Grizzly sports
slightly better features; the built-in mobile base for one, and all
cast-iron tables for another. *The Grizzly was perfectly adjusted right
off the pallet, and all I had to do was clean off all the shipping
grease (THAT was a pain) and attach a power plug and it was making
snipe-free cuts in no time. *Two-speed operation for allows for both
fast and fine-finish cuts, and the dust collection feature works flawlessly.

Also, regarding the Grizzly G1037 and the nearly identical Jet JPM-13;
both planers weight just over 200 pounds and have 1-1/2HP motors. *I
don't know what the cost of the Jet is, but you'll notice the Grizzly
G1037 is $895, whereas the 3HP G0453 is only $55 more at $950... *And
Grizzly is still offering free shipping on that machine right now.

--
See Nad. *See Nad go. *Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/