Posted to rec.woodworking
StephenM[_2_] StephenM[_2_] is offline

Default New planer advice

FWIW, I got my 733 in 2001 and it has seen "thousands" of bf. I don't expect
it to last forever but it has served me well.

I think you got a lemon, and I think that you *can/should* expect to put a
couple thousand BF though a lunchbox planer.

-Steve

" wrote in message
I guess I should have left the "heavy duty" out. What I meant was it
should last longer than a few hundred board feet before having to need
repair (like mine DW733). "Heavy duty" as in having screws or bolts
that don't strip the first time you try to remove them. The dollar is
the bottom line anymore though and good nuts, bolts, screws, and
bushings are heavy, and cost. Obviously these type planers were not
meant to last (or be worked on). What amazes me was that it actually
did the job quite well (for the short time it worked).

On Mar 26, 4:36 pm, "Leon" wrote:
" wrote in message

I'm giving up on my DeWalt DW733, and want something a little more
heavy duty, longer lasting. Not looking for a 20" giganta-planer, but
a 13" or 15" belt driven model I'll still be able to get parts for in
several years. Any recommendations? I've seen a Delta DC33 on a
craigslisting for $500. Not really nearby, but if it's worth it I'll
make the drive. What about current Jet JPM-13 or Grizzly G453 or
G1037?

Cheers

If the DeWalt is not HD enough for you I seriously doubt you will consider
any of the portables HD either. The stationary planers, 15: range an up
typically use the same design year after year. They are thickness planers
and don't promise a baby's but finish but do what they are suppose to do.
personally have a Delta X5 series 15" stationary planer.