od oy

Default Planer Advice

Thanks for helping me if anyone can do so.
Looking at thickness planers, 12" or so.
Will not be doing a lot of 'heavy' planing. maybe 200' per winter. Have
read all the ads......Delta Craftsman Ryobi Dewalt etc.
So does anyone have a choice, preference, opinion, wish they had bought
another brand ?
Is there really any major difference ?
Going crazy tring to decide, someone out there can help i know !!
Thank You !

Bob

It appears you are looking at benchtop planers, as opposed to heavier
cast planers. In that class, let me suggest you look and see if there
is a Lowe's in your area that still has a Delta 20-580 13" planer in
stock. These planers sell for $350-$450 depending on where you buy.
Lowe's had them on sale for $229 - an incredible buy. I bought one and
I am very pleased with it. At that price, there is no other
competition to consider.

Bob

P.S. If you have a dust collector, pay the extra $24 for the dust
collection nozzle for this planer. It works very, very well.

RonB

I agree - There are good Delta deals available now. Apparently Lowe's is
closing out on Delta (Anyone know why?).

I would steer away from Ryobi. I have owned a 12-5/16" Ryobi one for about
5-6 years and it is a great machine. However, Ryobi hasen't done a great
job of standing behind their customers with parts. I bought my first couple
sets of knives in the $25 price range. I recently discovered that HD
appears to be the only dealer that sells the brand and they don't handle
replacement knives. If you go to the "approved parts and repair" shops, or
Ryobi's "official parts source (an aftermarket operation). you can expect to
pay $63 to $75 for a set of knives. Good news is Delta sells a set for
about $29 that fits fine.

But who knows where you'll be able to buy Delta now?

Spenzdad

i looked for used and found a Toshiba.(forgot the model number), its a semi
production unit, weight 350 lbs and on wheels. Its fantastic. When I was
shopping you will spend twice that on a new one that does both planing and
jointing, which the Toshiba does. So even though it was way overkill for
me, it was 1/2 the cost of a new benchtop planer/jointer.

my advise is to get a jointer too, either as part of the planer or as a
seperate unit....you will nee that......and then look for used to save some
heavy $.

"od oy" wrote in message
Thanks for helping me if anyone can do so.
Looking at thickness planers, 12" or so.
Will not be doing a lot of 'heavy' planing. maybe 200' per winter. Have
read all the ads......Delta Craftsman Ryobi Dewalt etc.
So does anyone have a choice, preference, opinion, wish they had bought
another brand ?
Is there really any major difference ?
Going crazy tring to decide, someone out there can help i know !!
Thank You !

TWS

Bob wrote:

It appears you are looking at benchtop planers, as opposed to heavier
cast planers. In that class, let me suggest you look and see if there
is a Lowe's in your area that still has a Delta 20-580 13" planer in
stock. These planers sell for $350-$450 depending on where you buy.
Lowe's had them on sale for $229 - an incredible buy. I bought one and
I am very pleased with it. At that price, there is no other
competition to consider.

Bob

P.S. If you have a dust collector, pay the extra $24 for the dust
collection nozzle for this planer. It works very, very well.

I have to agree with Bob that, at $229 the Delta is hard to beat. I
have a Rigid 13" that I like - good finish, low to no snipe, and the
extra inch is occasionally useful.

After running a bunch of hard maple this weekend and being very
frustrated from the amount of chip out I was getting (even with new
blades and very small amount of material removal - less than 1/32) I am
still thinking that being able to feed at slower speeds is a very useful
feature. It depends on what kind of wood you plan to work. If you are
planing very hard or highly figured wood I would consider a planer with
two feed speeds. The Dewalt DW735 looks pretty good in a number of
respects.

TWS

RKG

I've had the Delta 20-580 for about a year and a half. My only complaint
was finding replacement knives. Home depot where I bought the planer didn't
carry them and Canadian tire didn't have them - they both sold the planer
though. Finally found them at a wood show for $40 Cdn a set. Bought 2
sets. Get the dust collection nozzle it keeps a lot of shavings off the
floor.

It is dual speed and the thickness indicator is accurate once set up the
first time, at least it is in the range I use it most 2.5" down to 1/4".

The limit stop works well as well, once you get on to it's quirks.

Rick

--
webservant for

Web design for churches http://www.gibs-web.ca
Wycliffe Bible Translators Caribbean http://www.wycliffecaribbean.org
Journaling / mental health http://www.pipcom.com/~jpeacock/
Bothwell Baptist Church http://www.forministry.com/CAONBCOOQBBC1

"Bob" wrote in message
It appears you are looking at benchtop planers, as opposed to heavier
cast planers. In that class, let me suggest you look and see if there
is a Lowe's in your area that still has a Delta 20-580 13" planer in
stock. These planers sell for $350-$450 depending on where you buy.
Lowe's had them on sale for $229 - an incredible buy. I bought one and
I am very pleased with it. At that price, there is no other
competition to consider.

Bob

P.S. If you have a dust collector, pay the extra $24 for the dust
collection nozzle for this planer. It works very, very well.

Pat Barber

The Delta "lunch bucket" 13" is nice planer.

PS:

Planers generate HUGE amounts of shaving. Start
planning on a dust collection system very soon.
The quality of the planer is hindered by shaving , so
a DC is almost a requirement.

od oy wrote:

Thanks for helping me if anyone can do so.
Looking at thickness planers, 12" or so.
Will not be doing a lot of 'heavy' planing. maybe 200' per winter. Have
read all the ads......Delta Craftsman Ryobi Dewalt etc.
So does anyone have a choice, preference, opinion, wish they had bought
another brand ?
Is there really any major difference ?
Going crazy tring to decide, someone out there can help i know !!
Thank You !

Dave jackson

I too have the 22-580 delta 13" . Excellent machine for a benchtop and hard
to beat it for the money. The blades (I've seen them from $30-40) are easy
to change and are reversible.

"od oy" wrote in message
Thanks for helping me if anyone can do so.
Looking at thickness planers, 12" or so.
Will not be doing a lot of 'heavy' planing. maybe 200' per winter. Have
read all the ads......Delta Craftsman Ryobi Dewalt etc.
So does anyone have a choice, preference, opinion, wish they had bought
another brand ?
Is there really any major difference ?
Going crazy tring to decide, someone out there can help i know !!
Thank You !

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dave jackson" wrote in message
link.net...
I too have the 22-580 delta 13" . Excellent machine for a benchtop and
hard
to beat it for the money. The blades (I've seen them from $30-40) are
easy
to change and are reversible.

I'm going to jump on here also. I paid a lot more when they first came out
but if you can get it cheap at Lowes, there is not better value. At list
price, (or close to it) the DeWalts are good also.

Check out dust collectors also. I used my planer twice and bought a dust
collector.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

patriarch

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
m:

"Dave jackson" wrote in message
link.net...
I too have the 22-580 delta 13" . Excellent machine for a benchtop
and hard
to beat it for the money. The blades (I've seen them from $30-40)
are easy
to change and are reversible.

I'm going to jump on here also. I paid a lot more when they first
came out but if you can get it cheap at Lowes, there is not better
value. At list price, (or close to it) the DeWalts are good also.

Check out dust collectors also. I used my planer twice and bought a
dust collector.

Don't assume you can just use a ShopVac. You can fill a ShopVac in about 8
minutes with one of these things, and you still won't be happy with the
chip clearance capabilities. Unless you were to use/build one of those
trash can lid cyclone seperators, you would get a lot less performance from
the planer than you should expect.

I bought the Ridgid, and like it. I've used the Delta at the school's
shop, and like it too. The school's machine gets A LOT of use, and with
sharp blades, keeps on working.

Patriarch
patrick conroy

"od oy" wrote in message

Looking at thickness planers, 12" or so.

I have the DW735 and although I'm extremely pleased - had the Delta 22-580
been available at the current Low Lowe's price - I'd have snatched that up.
My neighbor is as happy with his as I am with my 735.