Posted to rec.woodworking
knowone

Default Advice on Planer.

Monday, I bought an older Delta planer, model # 22-540. I read some
negative reviews about it but bought it anyway as I gave $65.00 for it. It
didn't come with the knife adjusting fixture. I suppose that I could make
one if I had its dimensions.
Is this thing worth a flip. I read that the cutting head won't stay put.
Maybe can fix that too.

All advice negative or positive is appreciated.

Anyone have an extra set of knives or know how to sharpen these. How about
an extra knife adjusting fixture/jig?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mine's been going strong with no problems for 8 or 9 years.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"knowone" wrote in message
nk.net...
Monday, I bought an older Delta planer, model # 22-540. I read some
negative reviews about it but bought it anyway as I gave $65.00 for it.
It didn't come with the knife adjusting fixture. I suppose that I could
make one if I had its dimensions.
Is this thing worth a flip. I read that the cutting head won't stay put.

Maybe can fix that too.

Well for $65 and one that runs, not a bad deal. Order a knife adjustment
tool from Delta. Unless the planer comes with a cutter head lock chances
are that you might make some tweaks but probably not enough to eleminate all
snipe. Proper technique when beginning feeding and exiting the run will do
a lot to eleminate snipe.

All advice negative or positive is appreciated.

Anyone have an extra set of knives or know how to sharpen these. How
about an extra knife adjusting fixture/jig?

You may be able to hone the blades a bit but they are basically double edged
disposable blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking
knowone

Thanks, kk and Leon.

I will try Delta for tool.

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"knowone" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy

I have one I inherited from my Dad. I do more handyman/carpentry projects than "fine woodworking"
(not through choice) so do not have a lot of experience with it. A few hours or so total run time.

It was missing the knife jig also. I got one here http://www.circlesaw.com/ for something like
$3.40 about 3 years ago. About half the cost of ordering it anywhere I found on the net. They also
have many other parts in stock. I went out to the shop to get the dimensions off mine, and it is
missing again. I may have stashed it down in Tunnel Three when I was shoring up timbers down there
a few months back.

I have not had problems with height adjustment moving, but I took a tip I read here and duct taped
the height adjustment handle into place so it can't vibrate and change the height. A big horseshoe
magnet was actually suggested, but I don't have one. Height adjustment indicator is for very rough
estimates only. Good caliper is a must.

Get the dust hood and hook it up to your collector. Made a world of difference. 5 minutes of
planing when I first got it convinced SWMBO I really needed a dust collector. 10 more minutes
convinced me I needed a chip separator before the dust collector.

Snipe is manageable if you take light cuts and put a slight elevation on the infeed and outfeed
tables. It is noticeable with heavy cuts, and you can just waste 3-4 inches at each end if need be
and trim it off.

At $65, I think you got a good deal. Shop hard for replacement blades. They are expensive. Old
bunged up ones make decent scribing knives and whatever. Put a duct tape handle on one and they
are also good for smoothing your tipi poles if you're sprucing up your Mother Of All Pointy Sticks.

Circle Saw has other parts available for the 22-540. Give them a call. I'm sure they would ship.
Their shop is set up like an old NAPA auto parts store. Wait until a stool opens, then it's your
turn. Tell them what you need, then they go rummage around the racks and bring it out. Great shop,
but tough for me to get to during the week. Harder to walk out of. Tool porn on display
everywhere.

Regards,
Roy

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 02:47:16 GMT, "knowone" wrote:

Monday, I bought an older Delta planer, model # 22-540. I read some
negative reviews about it but bought it anyway as I gave $65.00 for it. It
didn't come with the knife adjusting fixture. I suppose that I could make
one if I had its dimensions.
Is this thing worth a flip. I read that the cutting head won't stay put.
Maybe can fix that too.

All advice negative or positive is appreciated.

Anyone have an extra set of knives or know how to sharpen these. How about
an extra knife adjusting fixture/jig?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
knowone

Okay Roy.

Had no idea the blade adjustment tool is so cheap.

I will shop for some knives, as they aren't cheap.

I guess a chip separator is nothing more that large holed screen wire?

I appreciate all of the tips.

ko

wrote:

Monday, I bought an older Delta planer, model # 22-540. I read some
negative reviews about it but bought it anyway as I gave $65.00 for it.
It
didn't come with the knife adjusting fixture. I suppose that I could make
one if I had its dimensions.
Is this thing worth a flip. I read that the cutting head won't stay put.
Maybe can fix that too.

All advice negative or positive is appreciated.

Anyone have an extra set of knives or know how to sharpen these. How
about
an extra knife adjusting fixture/jig?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:41:15 GMT, "knowone" wrote:

Okay Roy.

Had no idea the blade adjustment tool is so cheap.

I will shop for some knives, as they aren't cheap.

I guess a chip separator is nothing more that large holed screen wire?

I appreciate all of the tips.

ko

Chip separator is one of those cyclonic tops that goes over a metal trash can. Collects the chips
before the air and the fine dust goes to the dust collector.

Regards,
Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking
knowone

Got it.

Thanks Roy.

wrote:

Okay Roy.

Had no idea the blade adjustment tool is so cheap.

I will shop for some knives, as they aren't cheap.

I guess a chip separator is nothing more that large holed screen wire?

I appreciate all of the tips.

ko

Chip separator is one of those cyclonic tops that goes over a metal trash
can. Collects the chips
before the air and the fine dust goes to the dust collector.

Regards,
Roy

Should I purchase this used 8" jointer & 15" planer??? [email protected] Woodworking 11 November 11th 05 03:59 AM
Wixey Digital Readout For Planer [email protected] Woodworking 5 October 23rd 05 07:39 PM
The Dewalt 735 Planer and me... Buster Woodworking 13 September 29th 05 03:00 AM
Seeking advice Mark L. Woodworking 14 September 9th 05 05:01 PM
Planer (powered) advice? al UK diy 18 March 9th 05 09:18 AM