Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default New planer advice

Leon wrote:
" wrote in message
I'm giving up on my DeWalt DW733, and want something a little more
heavy duty, longer lasting. Not looking for a 20" giganta-planer, but
a 13" or 15" belt driven model I'll still be able to get parts for in
several years. Any recommendations? I've seen a Delta DC33 on a
craigslisting for $500. Not really nearby, but if it's worth it I'll
make the drive. What about current Jet JPM-13 or Grizzly G453 or
G1037?

Cheers

If the DeWalt is not HD enough for you I seriously doubt you will consider
any of the portables HD either. The stationary planers, 15: range an up
typically use the same design year after year. They are thickness planers
and don't promise a baby's but finish but do what they are suppose to do. I
personally have a Delta X5 series 15" stationary planer.

How do you like that Delta, Leon? Isn't that the one with the
top-mounted motor and stationary table? My Dad has the Grizzly version
of that planer, and I was considering the same model, but by the time I
was ready to buy Grizzly was no longer carrying it. My Dad seems to
have a bit of an issue with its dust collection efficiency, but that may
not be the fault of the planer.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.