Art Ransom

Default Planer advice

It is time to supplement my Delta 12.5" planer. I have used and abused it
for 5 years and it just isn't big enough for some of the things I am now
doing.
Ideally I would want a 5 HP 15" planer that has a depth of cut of 8.5" so
I can finish plane 8" square posts. Unfortunately it appears that doesn't
exist and I will have to move up to a 20".
Shop Fox and Grizzly are the only ones that I can find that exceeds 8".
While I am a Powermatic bigot their support center said that they were 8"
+.00". Also I don't want one of the monster 1500+ pounders and want to
stay under 800 lbs nor do I have 3 phase power available and am not
particularly interested in the spiral cut machines. This planer will
average 2 hours use a week.
I am looking for recommendations. TIA
. .

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org

LRod

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 18:18:58 -0500, "Art Ransom"
wrote:

It is time to supplement my Delta 12.5" planer. I have used and abused it
for 5 years and it just isn't big enough for some of the things I am now
doing.

Is Lancaster far from Houston?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Duane Bozarth

Art Ransom wrote:

It is time to supplement my Delta 12.5" planer. I have used and abused it
for 5 years and it just isn't big enough for some of the things I am now
doing.
Ideally I would want a 5 HP 15" planer that has a depth of cut of 8.5" so
I can finish plane 8" square posts. Unfortunately it appears that doesn't
exist and I will have to move up to a 20".
Shop Fox and Grizzly are the only ones that I can find that exceeds 8".
While I am a Powermatic bigot their support center said that they were 8"
+.00". Also I don't want one of the monster 1500+ pounders and want to
stay under 800 lbs nor do I have 3 phase power available and am not
particularly interested in the spiral cut machines. This planer will
average 2 hours use a week.
I am looking for recommendations. TIA

For the size of material you're talking, I'd keep looking until I found
a used "big iron" machine at a reasonable price. I don't think the
light duty machines are up to that, personally.
DamnYankee

I have a Grizzly G1033 and can't say anything bad about it. I've run
alot of hickory through it without a hiccup.

A small gloat.... I bought it used for $750 with an extra set of knives
and a mobile base. It was "hobby" used so it had very little time on
it. :-)

Bryan

Seeking advice Mark L. Woodworking 14 September 9th 05 05:01 PM
Cutback on plywood and new vinyl tile, need advice. statepenn99 Home Repair 1 March 12th 05 05:56 PM
Planer (powered) advice? al UK diy 18 March 9th 05 09:18 AM
Need Advice - Moving my Woodshop AndyB Woodworking 25 March 2nd 05 07:58 AM
Taking down a timber frame - need advice L Bargstedt Woodworking 6 August 12th 03 08:07 AM