Posted to rec.woodworking
walnutlvr walnutlvr is offline

Default New planer advice

I am obviously am lucky. My 733 other than a motor brush change and 3
(6)sets of knives has gone through over 500 board feet of red oak and black
walnut.I do keep the cuts light though.
" wrote in message
Great information, thanks. I wondered about the molder part of the
Jet.

On Mar 26, 6:02 pm, Steve Turner wrote:
wrote:
I'm giving up on my DeWalt DW733, and want something a little more
heavy duty, longer lasting. Not looking for a 20" giganta-planer, but
a 13" or 15" belt driven model I'll still be able to get parts for in
several years. Any recommendations? I've seen a Delta DC33 on a
craigslisting for $500. Not really nearby, but if it's worth it I'll
make the drive. What about current Jet JPM-13 or Grizzly G453 or
G1037?

Cheers

Based on the models you mentioned I'm probably as qualified to answer as
anyone; I own the Grizzly G0453 and my buddy owns the Jet JPM-13CS (CS
== closed stand). And from what I can see the Grizzly G1037 is pretty
much identical to the Jet JPM-13...

I think my buddy's opinion of the Jet is mixed; it does the job ok, but
it's nothing to get excited about. He considers the molder feature to
be a waste; he's never found any need for it, especially after looking
into the cost of the cutters (none of which come with the machine). Nor
is it blessed with an overabundance of power, but I don't recall him
complaining about that. I don't know how well the dust collection
works, but I haven't heard him complain about that either. I can find
out more from him if you're interested.

I haven't had my Grizzly G0453 very long, but so far I've been very
pleased. Make no mistake though; this is a serious beast - it weighs
around 650 pounds, and that's heavier than my Unisaur! If you look at
Jet's website they also make a model very similar to the Grizzly (the
JWP-15DX), but from what I can tell (at a glance) the Grizzly sports
slightly better features; the built-in mobile base for one, and all
cast-iron tables for another. The Grizzly was perfectly adjusted right
off the pallet, and all I had to do was clean off all the shipping
grease (THAT was a pain) and attach a power plug and it was making
snipe-free cuts in no time. Two-speed operation for allows for both
fast and fine-finish cuts, and the dust collection feature works
flawlessly.

Also, regarding the Grizzly G1037 and the nearly identical Jet JPM-13;
both planers weight just over 200 pounds and have 1-1/2HP motors. I
don't know what the cost of the Jet is, but you'll notice the Grizzly
G1037 is $895, whereas the 3HP G0453 is only $55 more at $950... And
Grizzly is still offering free shipping on that machine right now.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/