Posted to rec.woodworking
t t is offline

Default OT - Sarah's Song

Don't know how things got so blue
Don't know what's come over you
You've found someone new
And don't it make my red states blue

I'll be fine when you're gone
I'll just cry all night long
Say it isn't true
And don't it make my red states blue

Show me no polling, tell me some lies
Give me no reasons, give me alibis
Tell me you love me and don't make me cry
Say anything but don't say goodbye

I didn't mean to treat you bad
Didn't know just what I had
But, honey, now I do
And don't it make my red states
Don't it make my red states
Don't it make my red states blue

(apologies to CG)
Posted to rec.woodworking

t wrote:
Don't know how things got so blue
Don't know what's come over you
You've found someone new
And don't it make my red states blue

I'll be fine when you're gone
I'll just cry all night long
Say it isn't true
And don't it make my red states blue

Show me no polling, tell me some lies
Give me no reasons, give me alibis
Tell me you love me and don't make me cry
Say anything but don't say goodbye

I didn't mean to treat you bad
Didn't know just what I had
But, honey, now I do
And don't it make my red states
Don't it make my red states
Don't it make my red states blue

(apologies to CG)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081021/..._family_travel
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081021/..._family_travel

Classic rookie screw-up

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 21, 8:31*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081021/..._family_travel

Classic rookie screw-up

Lew

Or cheap chiseler/petty thief.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I wrote:
Classic rookie screw-up

"Charlie Self" wrote:
Or cheap chiseler/petty thief.

First thing you learn is how to fill out an expense account that will
pass muster.

I will leave what you call that to others.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 22, 8:26*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
I wrote:
Classic rookie screw-up

"Charlie Self" wrote:
Or cheap chiseler/petty thief.

First thing you learn is how to fill out an expense account that will
pass muster.

I will leave what you call that to others.

Lew

Yeah, well...Roanoke had a city councilman doing something similar
lalst year, but more obviously crooked. He was billing two gov't. for
the same trip. He filled out the forms impeccably, and it worked well
until someone cross-checked. His excuse: I didn't realize it was
illegal. In his 40s, mind you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081021/..._family_travel

Classic rookie screw-up

Lew

Or cheap chiseler/petty thief.

If I recall the numbers correctly the previous Gov. spent over 3X on
personal or family related travel......Alaska is a very big state and all
travel including to or from the lower forty are expensive trips. The Palin's
do not have the personal wealth to afford packing the family around both
their state or the lower 40 on state business or functions. Because of the
distances considerable time away from home is also invested. Should a
Governors family sacrifice "family" for the office or try to do both? The
cost has been affordable to the state and is under historical norms but
somehow the anti Palin crowd have no limits for petty complaints.....oddly
I'd suspect those most opposed to Palin's travel would support Obama's
blatant politically motivated millions upon millions in earmarks.....Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081021/..._family_travel

Classic rookie screw-up

Lew

Or cheap chiseler/petty thief.

Yeah, I'm sure she is the first and only politician to ever do that. Shame,
shame.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
news

I wrote:
Classic rookie screw-up

"Charlie Self" wrote:
Or cheap chiseler/petty thief.

First thing you learn is how to fill out an expense account that will pass
muster.

I will leave what you call that to others.

Lew

Any time I traveled or entertained with my boss, I used my company AMEX card
and turned in the expense report. He always approved it and said I could
have a career as a fiction writer

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081021/..._family_travel

Classic rookie screw-up

Lew

Or cheap chiseler/petty thief.

If I recall the numbers correctly the previous Gov. spent over 3X on
personal or family related travel......

So a crook who steals $1000 is innocent while a crook who steals $3000
is guilty? Stealing is stealing. Amount isn't relevant.

Alaska is a very big state and all
travel including to or from the lower forty are expensive trips. The Palin's
do not have the personal wealth to afford packing the family around both
their state or the lower 40 on state business or functions.

Because they are not rich, therefore the state should pay for personal
expenses unrelated to the job? A poor person isn't rich, does that
give them the right to steal money from a bank?

Because of the
distances considerable time *away from home is also invested. Should a
Governors family sacrifice "family" for the office or try to do both?

I had a job where I traveled for a week or two at a time. Away from
home the whole time. I sacrificed time with family for the job. The
expenses of bringing the family along were not reimbursable by the
company or the company we were doing the work for. It was a business
trip. Not a personal vacation.

The
cost has been affordable to the state and is under historical norms but
somehow the anti Palin crowd have no limits for petty complaints.....oddly
I'd suspect those most opposed to Palin's travel would support Obama's
blatant politically motivated millions upon millions in earmarks.....Rod

Alaska as a state gets more earmarks per person, per income, etc. than
any other state in the nation. Thanks to Uncle Ted, not surprisingly
on trial at the moment for lying about graft he has received.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote:

Yeah, well...Roanoke had a city councilman doing something similar

lalst year, but more obviously crooked. He was billing two gov't. for
the same trip. He filled out the forms impeccably, and it worked well
until someone cross-checked. His excuse: I didn't realize it was
illegal. In his 40s, mind you.

Double dipping is one of those things that doesn't pass muster.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 22, 6:25*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote:
Yeah, well...Roanoke had a city councilman doing something similar

lalst year, but more obviously crooked. He was billing two gov't. for
the same trip. He filled out the forms impeccably, and it worked well
until someone cross-checked. His excuse: I didn't realize it was
illegal. In his 40s, mind you.

Double dipping is one of those things that doesn't pass muster.

Lew

I happen to know, from close-by, what kinda **** happens with expense
reports submitted to KBR.... and people wonder what happened to 2.3
TRILLION dollars missing from the Pentagon.
I have seen that look. "I'm screwing you and there ain't a thing you
can do about it."
That Home Of The Brave has a few termites in its foundation.

WOOPS...I'm talking out of school here....so bad...so sad...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081021/..._family_travel

Classic rookie screw-up

Lew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg5tl87rEE4
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I had a job where I traveled for a week or two at a time. Away from
home the whole time. I sacrificed time with family for the job. The
expenses of bringing the family along were not reimbursable by the
company or the company we were doing the work for. It was a business
trip. Not a personal vacation.

You need a better employer. Over the years (different employers) I'd often
taken my wife on business trips and most was covered. We are located in MA
and in the summer, it is common to have visitors to the plant on a Friday
morning, family car loaded and on the way to Cape Cod for the weekend.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
I had a job where I traveled for a week or two at a time. Away from
home the whole time. I sacrificed time with family for the job.
The
expenses of bringing the family along were not reimbursable by the
company or the company we were doing the work for. It was a
business
trip. Not a personal vacation.

You need a better employer. Over the years (different employers) I'd
often taken my wife on business trips and most was covered.

What industry was this and at what level were you employed and how
long were these trips and by what means of transportation?

We are
located in MA and in the summer, it is common to have visitors to
the
plant on a Friday morning, family car loaded and on the way to Cape
Cod for the weekend.

That's a bit different situation from flying to Seattle.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 23, 6:17*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Too, companies can do what they danged well please for their
employees. Taxpayers shouldn't have to foot the bills for the kids
attending daddy's snowmobile races. If Mommy doesn't trust Daddy out
of sight for the weekend, let her either pay for the kid's tickets and
accomodations, or hire a weekend babysitter like Joe & Jane Sixpack
get to do. You betcha. Wink. Wink.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

You need a better employer. Over the years (different employers) I'd
often taken my wife on business trips and most was covered.

What industry was this and at what level were you employed and how
long were these trips and by what means of transportation?

Level was salesman, sales manager, general manager. Trips varied from a
few hours to a week. Transportation was by car, plane, ferry boat. Distance
is continental US and Canada. One time to Florida I did buy my wife's plane
ticket, but everything else was covered. If you are staying at a hotel, the
rate is generaly the same for a couple as it is for one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message

You need a better employer. Over the years (different employers)
I'd
often taken my wife on business trips and most was covered.

What industry was this and at what level were you employed and how
long were these trips and by what means of transportation?

Level was salesman, sales manager, general manager. Trips varied
from a few hours to a week. Transportation was by car, plane, ferry
boat. Distance is continental US and Canada. One time to Florida I
did buy my wife's plane ticket, but everything else was covered. If
you are staying at a hotel, the rate is generaly the same for a
couple as it is for one.

If the company covered air fare for your wife then it was very
unusual.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 23, 11:25*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:

If the company covered air fare for your wife then it was very
unusual.

My Dad took a turn as a "traveling salesman" back in the 70s. Mom was
invited to many events, conventions, etc. all bills paid by the
company.

I think it served two needs. It helped keep the salesmen from feeling
so isolated as my father's job only let him come home as little as
four days a month. Happy salesmen stay on board, and they sell more.

But I think it contributed to marital tranquility as well. Mom didn't
feel so left out, and felt better about him being gone so long when
she had an idea of what he was up to, and who he was with. Mom felt
better meeting clients and other salesmen and their wives.

Although the whole sales staff were rarely together, they all knew
each other, and if they jumped to other companies they also knew each
others clients. I think these working sales meeting served as much as
social gatherings as working meetings.

As always, just my 0.02.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

For a period in the late '70's I did quite a bit of company travel,
all within the US and rarely more than 3 days. I really don't know

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 24, 1:56*am, "
wrote:
[...]

My brother-in-law often took my sister (now wheelchair bound) on 2-3
day business trips all over the planet. With the exception of places
like Saudi, she would accompany him sometimes for weeks. All paid. The
company saw it as a morale booster. That social networking amongst the
wives is still very strong. Personally, I think it is a good idea.
In the early days of his career, he would be on job sites for 2-3
years, of course she would be there for those extended stays. Their
four children were all born in a different country.

Traveling salesmen, who are nation-wide door knockers, are in a
different league. After all, if they are allowed to drag their wives
around on a full-time basis, there would be protests from all the
farmer's daughters.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 24, 1:56*am, "
wrote:
[...]

When you're on the road that much, the company is wise to pick up at
least occasional travel for the spouse.

But how often does a governor travel? Once a month, even twice,
usually within the state, I'd bet, except during campaign season? What
kind of distances? Would a company pay for the kids to attend daddy's
snowmobile race, as Alaska evidently got to do for the Palin kids?

a very lovely song neddin11 Metalworking 1 July 23rd 08 02:49 AM
OT - The Stanley Song J T Woodworking 0 September 5th 07 03:22 AM
Where Sarah's lost cup plays, Varla changes in outer, sick halls. Martin X. Moleski, SJ Woodworking 0 June 27th 06 07:01 AM
Spear-Chuckers, she wants to move humble wrinkles for Sarah's light, Ugly Doofus. Upscale Woodworking 0 May 15th 06 08:56 PM
Lumberjack song? dean Home Repair 5 November 15th 05 05:10 PM