Mark Jerde

Default Outfeed table for saw?

Guy LaRochelle wrote:
What is the best way and what size is best for an outfeed table on a
table saw? I have a Unisaw. I just don't know if I should build a
seperate table (what size?) or if I should build an outfeed attached
to the table saw. What is everyone doing for this? Room is not really
a problem for me since I am working in a 40' X 40' size building but
its no use having it too big for nothing..........right? Regards. -Guy

I wish I had the space to do this:
http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/scrapboo...book&UID=10002
http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/scrapboo...book&UID=10004

-- Mark

RWM

"Guy LaRochelle" wrote in message
What is the best way and what size is best for an outfeed table on a table
saw? I have a Unisaw. I just don't know if I should build a seperate table
(what size?) or if I should build an outfeed attached to the table saw.

What
is everyone doing for this? Room is not really a problem for me since I am
working in a 40' X 40' size building but its no use having it too big for
nothing..........right? Regards. -Guy

My shop is small so I have the Delta outfeed table that folds down when I am
not using it. If I had the room that you have I would make two idential
tables on casters to be used as portable infeed, outfeed, and assembly
tables. I would make them about 3' x 5' so that each could support sheet
goods. The tables are also great for moving multiple parts to the next
milling stage.

Good Luck - Bob McBreen - Yarrow Point, WA

Phisherman

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:33:17 -0600, "Guy LaRochelle"
wrote:

What is the best way and what size is best for an outfeed table on a table
saw? I have a Unisaw. I just don't know if I should build a seperate table
(what size?) or if I should build an outfeed attached to the table saw. What
is everyone doing for this? Room is not really a problem for me since I am
working in a 40' X 40' size building but its no use having it too big for
nothing..........right? Regards. -Guy

There are a few good pictures on the web (sorry I did not save them).
But most look like a shelf supported by triangles secured to the
tablesaw cabinet. Some are drop down with hinges, but that would
complicate the contruction. I use portable saw horses and a Record
adjustable roller. If I have a 4x8 sheet (or something else that's
big and clumsy), I ask SWMBO to help me.
Mark & Juanita

What is the best way and what size is best for an outfeed table on a table
saw? I have a Unisaw. I just don't know if I should build a seperate table
(what size?) or if I should build an outfeed attached to the table saw. What
is everyone doing for this? Room is not really a problem for me since I am
working in a 40' X 40' size building but its no use having it too big for
nothing..........right? Regards. -Guy

You'll need to figure out size that works for you. However, I would
strongly recommend that you not buy the Delta outfeed table. Take a
look in the google archives, I posted a review last summer (around June
- August) timeframe detailing the issues I had with the one I purchased.
I wound up building my own annex next to the delta unit.

Dennis Vogel

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
s.com...

I wish I had the space to do this:

http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/scrapboo...book&UID=10002

http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/scrapboo...book&UID=10004

He must never use it. Way too clean. No
half-finished projects laying about.

Dennis Vogel

My Old Tools

I did the folding outfeed table. It is never folded down. I'm going to
change to a fixed island with the shaper and tablesaw catty cornered from
each other with infill table surface to square it out. You need about 50"
behind the blade to be able to rip an 8' sheet and not have it tip off the
back.

--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com
"Guy LaRochelle" wrote in message
What is the best way and what size is best for an outfeed table on a table
saw? I have a Unisaw. I just don't know if I should build a seperate table
(what size?) or if I should build an outfeed attached to the table saw.

What
is everyone doing for this? Room is not really a problem for me since I am
working in a 40' X 40' size building but its no use having it too big for
nothing..........right? Regards. -Guy

Mark Jerde

Dennis Vogel wrote:
"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
s.com...

I wish I had the space to do this:

http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/scrapboo...book&UID=10002

http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/scrapboo...book&UID=10004

He must never use it. Way too clean. No
half-finished projects laying about.

I don't think so. g He built this:
http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/door/
and this:
http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/airplane...nets&UID=10008

The answer is he
"Each night before I leave, the shop gets cleaned."
http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/scrapboo...book&UID=10006

Yes, I admire Tom's work. I'd like to think software I've written
approaches his craftsmanship with wood.

-- Mark

Unisaw A100

Mine is 80" wide and 63" deep with a notch in the corner for
the saw. It's not too small and I've yet to say, "Damn, I
wish I would have made it 6"/12"/18" bigger".

UA100

Unisaw A100

Guy LaRochelle wrote:
Do you have pictures of this setup? I'd like to see it. Regards. -Guy

A'yup, I do. I'll pop a one or two up onto abpf.

UA100
T.

Sun, Jan 11, 2004, 10:26pm (EST+5)
(Mark=A0Jerde) claims:
I don't think so. g He built this:
http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/door/
and this:
http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/airplane...le=3Dairplane=
cabinets&UID=3D10008

I can't accept that. Pretty obvious, he either used a circular
saw, and straight edge; or, has a secret shop, where he actually works.

JOAT
Don't e-mail me while I'm breathing.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 10 Jan 2004.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

John Crea

Build it - will be a LOT less expensive than buying one

Would suggest it be as wide as the table top, and at least 4ft
long. Route out recesses for the miter bar slots

You can find adjustable legs in most of the woodworking catalogs

You could even formica the top to get you a tough, wear resist and
smooth surface for the wood to slide over

Nexttime I will built my outfeed to be the full length of the table
and rails, and have it extend 4ft from the table. Only reason I have
the Delta outfeed table is that it came as part of the package deal
with the saw. Having looked it over before I installed it, I would
built one myself next time

John

wrote:

What is the best way and what size is best for an outfeed table on a table
saw? I have a Unisaw. I just don't know if I should build a seperate table
(what size?) or if I should build an outfeed attached to the table saw. What
is everyone doing for this? Room is not really a problem for me since I am
working in a 40' X 40' size building but its no use having it too big for
nothing..........right? Regards. -Guy

Unisaw A100

Guy,

I've posted a front and back shot of the table after it was
complete on alt.binaries.pictures.furniture. The subject
line is "Unisaw Outfeed Table" and tucked kinda neatly
between "Britney Spears NUDE!!!" and "Christina Agulara
NUDE!!!".

I have some more shots and a write up on how the whole thing
was done that I had sent to Pat Barber over the course of a
few e-mails. I'd be more than happy to post the "as builts"
along with the narrative but lest I seem to be looking like
a David Eisen wannabe (:-)) I will await your request that I
do so.

UA100

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:32:18 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
wrote:

Guy LaRochelle wrote:
What is the best way and what size is best for an outfeed table on a
table saw? I have a Unisaw. I just don't know if I should build a
seperate table (what size?) or if I should build an outfeed attached
to the table saw. What is everyone doing for this? Room is not really
a problem for me since I am working in a 40' X 40' size building but
its no use having it too big for nothing..........right? Regards. -Guy

I built a 4 ft deep by 6'6" wide separate table, with slots for miter
gauges and sleds. I will soon build a second table to add 2 ft to the
right side of the saw and outfeed table. My table weighs over 200
pounds, not including the tools stored on the shelf below it. There
is no need to attach it to the saw.

When I'm not cutting, the saw plus the table makes a great assembly
area. Mine is covered with white melamine, which glue will not stick
to.

Barry

Unisaw A100

Guy LaRochelle wrote:
What is "abpf" and how do I get there? Regards. -Guy

alt.binaries.pictures.furniture

Download it the same way you did for rec.woodworking from
your ISP.

UA100

Unisaw A100

Groggy wrote:
What is the carrier deck made of Keith?

Gray (grey David) laminate. It was either a Formica or a
Laminart product.

Oh, and a certain rowtah tableau is conspicuous by its absence,
these must be old pics.

April '02 to be exact. Today's landscape has you seeing the
jointer, Gumby the Powermagic 14" band sar (the model not
made by children in an oppressive turd world country I might
add) and the soon to be unveiled An Ultimate Router Table
when you are standing in front (operator's side) of El
Guapo.

Oh, and I did a little work on the Wall of Starrett which is
situated right to the left of the shoppe phone. It's
nothing to write home to Mom about, just got the combo's
hung up.

UA100

Greg G.

Guy LaRochelle said:

What is "abpf" and how do I get there? Regards. -Guy

alt.binaries.pictures.furniture

A binary posting usenet group used by the wreck denizens, as is:

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Unisaw A100

Pat Barber wrote:
http://home.att.net/~mboceanside/wsb...ID-639331.html
That outfeed is 98" from the front of the saw to the end of the table.

Now tell him how much of the 98" is the saw table.

UA100
Jon Endres, PE

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
news
Pat Barber wrote:

http://home.att.net/~mboceanside/wsb...--SiteID-63933

1.html
That outfeed is 98" from the front of the saw to the end of the table.

Now tell him how much of the 98" is the saw table.

UA100

Oooh! I know!
What do I win?

MrAnderson

Since space is no consideration this tip will probably not be of any
benefit. I thought it would be handy to have a outfeed table with
drawers that I could roll between my table saw and shaper. I found a
homak tool chest that was 34 inches high. Placed a melamine top on
the chest and it matches the height of the table saw and shaper. The
chest is a great addition in storing shaper/router bits, saw blades,
push sticks, tape measures etc. Cost is about $600. Not cheap, but
these are professional grade cabinets and should last a lifetime. URL
is

http://www.homakmfg.com/homak/42108r...08r-42041r.htm
Luigi Zanasi

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 03:13:36 GMT, acronym
scribbled:

_buy_ adjustable legs? phooey. Rip a 2x4 and run a lag bolt into the
bottom. hey, saved $50.

Even better is drill a hole at the bottom of the leg, put in a t-nut
and use a carriage/stove bolt with a nut.

Luigi
Replace "no" with "yk" for real email address
Tom Watson

wrote:

What is the best way and what size is best for an outfeed table on a table
saw? I have a Unisaw. I just don't know if I should build a seperate table
(what size?) or if I should build an outfeed attached to the table saw. What
is everyone doing for this? Room is not really a problem for me since I am
working in a 40' X 40' size building but its no use having it too big for
nothing..........right? Regards. -Guy

My outfeed table is about the width of the Unisaw plus the extension
table. It is about four feet deep. It is on casters but also has
cabinet levelers on it so that I can get fussy about the level, when
needed, by cranking on the levelers. I don't use jigs that ride in
the slots, so the top is one expanse of shiny P-Lam, which helps when
riding full sized sheet goods through the saw. I use an outfeed
roller (HTC) to catch the outside of the board when doing rips that
need this.

You can see what it looks like at:

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page28.htm

It ain't beautiful but it works good.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret)
Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Website: http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:55:29 -0500, Tom Watson
brought forth from the murky depths:

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page28.htm

It ain't beautiful but it works good.

I'll bet it works well, too. bseg

You're all set up to do crosscuts on a 4x12 panel the hard way,
aren't you? I'll bet a small plane could land on that thing.

Do you also do assembly on the outfeed table? Height?

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---

wrote:

Guy LaRochelle wrote:
[...]

i built my extention table from 6/4 white oak and covered it with
corian. im planing one day to make the rear table the same way but i
need more room first. skeez
Tom Watson

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:02:33 GMT, Larry Jaques
wrote:

It ain't beautiful but it works good.

I'll bet it works well, too. bseg

I needed the "good" to go with the "ain't", LJ. Y'all need to spend
about ten or fifteen years writing dialogue every day to have an
appreciation for such things. There's a Chicago Manual of Style
'round here somewheres and a Strunk and White - prolly a copy or two
of Turabian and a moldy copy of Stone and Bell but they ain't much use
in writin' dialogue good.

You're all set up to do crosscuts on a 4x12 panel the hard way,
aren't you? I'll bet a small plane could land on that thing.

Do you also do assembly on the outfeed table? Height?

Yeah - I never built a proper assembly table and would use the outfeed
table for most of that sort of work. The fence on that Unisaw will go
to a little over eight feet and that is a big help in cross cutting
4x8 ply to length for bookcase sides before turning the sheet around
and ripping out the individual pieces. It's a stock Delta item but I
don't see them advertising it much. The height of the outfeed table
can be adjusted with the leg levelers over a range of about three
inches. When I crank them all the way up, the table sits on casters
so that it can roll around the shop as needed.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret)
Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Website: http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

My version:

http://www.bburke.com/wood/images/outfeed.jpg

Formica laminated to 1 1/2" of MDF and framed with ash to protect the
edges. Hardwood miter slots for longevity. Height is fine tunable
with machine bolts into T-nuts at the bottom of each leg.

The table is not attached to the saw in any way, as it weighs about
200 pounds without anything on the shelves.

Makes an excellent assembly area as well.

Barry

Bob G

"Guy LaRochelle" wrote in message
What is the best way and what size is best for an outfeed table on a table

Nice size shop BTW....LUCKY YOU....

My outfeed table on my Cabinet saw is as wide as my fence..(52 inches.)...
and it is about 40 to 48 inches in lenght...not really sure but it is long
enough that an 8 foot long pylwood panel can be ripped in half and STAY ON
THE TABLE... and since I do not normally rip boards of panels longer then 8
foot this works for me... Just remember that the distance from the back of
the blade to the end of the outfeed table has to be greater then 48 inches
or that plywood panel will fall off ... lol...

Down side of my table is that I find myself using it a lot as a work table
(work bench) or assembly table not really
a problem but what can I say...

Bob GRiffiths