Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to handle telemarketers

How to handle telemarketers

One thing that has always bugged me, and I'm sure it does most of you, is to
sit down at the dinner table only to be interrupted by a phone call from a
telemarketer.

I decided, on one such occasion, to try to be as irritating as they were to
me. The call was from AT&T and it went something like this: (swallowing)
- Me: Hello
- AT&T: Hello, this is AT&T...
- Me: Is this AT&T?
- AT&T: Yes, this is AT&T...
- Me: This is AT&T?
- AT&T: Yes This is AT&T...
- Me: Is this AT&T?
- AT&T: YES! This is AT&T, may I speak to Mr. Byron please?
- Me: May I ask who is calling?
- AT&T: This is AT&T.
- Me: OK, hold on.

At this point I put the phone down for a solid 5 minutes thinking that,
surely, this person would have hung up the phone. I ate my salad. Much to my
surprise, when I picked up the receiver, they were still waiting.

- Me: Hello?
- AT&T: Is this Mr. Byron?
- Me: May I ask who is calling please?
- AT&T: Yes this is AT&T...
- Me: Is this AT&T?
- AT&T: Yes this is AT&T...
- Me: This is AT&T?
- AT&T: Yes, is this Mr. Byron?
- Me: Yes, is this AT&T?
- AT&T: Yes sir.
- Me: The phone company?
- AT&T: Yes sir.
- Me: I thought you said this was AT&T.
- AT&T: Yes sir, we are a phone company.
- Me: I already have a phone.
- AT&T: We aren't selling phones today Mr. Byron.
- Me: Well whatever it is, I'm really not interested but thanks for calling.

When you are not interested in something, I don't think you can express
yourself any plainer than by saying "I'm really not interested," but this
lady was persistent.

- AT&T: Mr. Byron, we would like to offer you 10 cents a minute, 24 hours a
day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Now, I am sure she meant she was
offering a "rate" of 10 cents a minute, but she at no time used the word
"rate." I could clearly see that it was time to whip out the trusty old
calculator and do a little ciphering.
- Me: Now, that's 10 cents a minute 24 hours a day?
- AT&T: (getting a little excited at this point by my interest) Yes
- sir, that's right! 24 hours a day!
- Me: 7 days a week?
- AT&T: That's right.
- Me: 365 days a year?
- AT&T: Yes sir.
- Me: I am definitely interested in that! Wow!!! That's amazing!
- AT&T: We think so!
- Me: That's quite a sum of money!
- AT&T: Yes sir, it's amazing how it adds up.
- Me: OK, so will you send me checks weekly, monthly or just one big one at
the end of the year for the full $52,560, and if you send an annual check,
can I get a cash advance?
- AT&T: Excuse me?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 16:45:05 -0400, "Brent Beal"
wrote:

When you are not interested in something, I don't think you can express
yourself any plainer than by saying "I'm really not interested," but this
lady was persistent.

I once asked a female telemarketer who kept on after I'd said no,
"listen, if we were on a date, and I eventually made a move, and you
weren't interested in whatever I was moving to, and you said 'no',
would you want me to keep moving, or would you want me to stop?"

Brought her up short, I'll tell ya.

If they didn't catch on and just replied, "I'd want you to stop," I'd
say, then you *do* understand the meaning of 'no'. "

I don't ever hang up on them. I'll set the phone down and walk away,
but hanging up just gives them that much more time to harrass someone
else. The longer I can keep them on my phone (whether I'm
participating or not), the fewer other calls they're going to be able
to make.

No need to thank me. Just my small contribution to society.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I like to let them tell me who they are, say "Bill" for instance, and
then wait a moment. Then when they say "hello?", in my most old,
grandmotherly voice I ask,"Billy... would you please come visit me? I
am so lonely since Charles and the kids died..."

They always hang up on me.

My variant, again, in the most thin, pleading, grandmotherly voice you
can muster:

"Billy, are you bringing my medicine? You were supposed to be here
yesterday and now I am so sick... please come over and help me... I
really need help... I need my medicine so bad..."

*click*

Works every time.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

If the caller starts by identifying themselves:

Response:

"That's interesting, why did you say that?"

If the caller starts by asking qsking question:

Response:

"That's an interesting question, why did you ask me that question?"

Either way, SHUT UP and listen for next response.

If it takes longer than 2 minutes, I owe you one.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Brent Beal" wrote in message

How to handle telemarketers

One of the best I've ever heard was by Tom Mabe. I've posted over to the
binaries group with a WMV file that you'll all get a kick out of.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"Brent Beal" wrote in message

How to handle telemarketers

One of the best I've ever heard was by Tom Mabe. I've posted over to the
binaries group with a WMV file that you'll all get a kick out of.

Nix on that. Tried to post it but could not get it to upload. Oh well...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

After years on the various Do-Not-Call lists, and a phone company
"Privacy Manager" subscription, I have to ask...

What's a telemarketer? G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
: After years on the various Do-Not-Call lists, and a phone company
: "Privacy Manager" subscription, I have to ask...

: What's a telemarketer? G

Beats me. I've got a a land-line with the least expensive plan,
attached to a single phone with the ringer turned off. I need the
line for DSL, and I can use it if there's a problem with my cell
phone. I use my cell phone for everything else.

No calls from politicians, charities, or telemarketers. The only
calls I get are from family, friends, and work.

--- Chip

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
After years on the various Do-Not-Call lists, and a phone company
"Privacy Manager" subscription, I have to ask...

What's a telemarketer? G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Had "Privacy Manager". It was OK but this is cheaper and easier (assumuing
one already has caller ID).

http://www.phonetray.com/ptfree_features.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charley wrote:

One stupid company who was pitching "we can save you
interest on your credit cards" actually called me every week for
three weeks. I reported them each time, and now I haven't heard from
them in 3 months.

There's a notorious outfit in Florida that does that, usually calling itself
Card Member Services, their automated operator is usually Heather or
Jonathan, I've reported them to the FL AG, I've told them to remove my
number, I've strung them along on the phone, nothing has worked so far.
They people doing the calls don't care, they're being paid to collect sales
leads, that's it. Lately their staff seem better trained at recognizing and
hanging up on someone who is playing them, departing from their script in
any way now gets me a hang-up. The only thing that's really going to slow
them down is being hauled into court by the govt., and as the govt. in
Florida apparently has a history of happily turning a blind eye to scammers
and spammers that seems a faint hope.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett:

If the caller starts by identifying themselves:

Response:

"That's interesting, why did you say that?"

If the caller starts by asking qsking question:

Response:

"That's an interesting question, why did you ask me that question?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:10:12 -0500, "tom"
wrote:

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
.. .
After years on the various Do-Not-Call lists, and a phone company
"Privacy Manager" subscription, I have to ask...

What's a telemarketer? G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Had "Privacy Manager". It was OK but this is cheaper and easier (assumuing
one already has caller ID).

http://www.phonetray.com/ptfree_features.htm

What's a modem? You have one of those? Is it like a floppy drive?

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:11:05 -0400, T. Rex wrote:

Damn, you guys sound like a bunch of junior high school kids, playing
with the phone. Here's a great new idea: next time a telemarketer calls
you...

Just hang up the f*cking phone! How hard is that, anyway?

That's exactly what they want you to do. Get you off the phone as
quickly as possible so they can move on to a more likely prospect.
Time is money to them.

If you want to facilitate their business model, by all means "hang up
the f*cking phone."

As for me, they're going to pay to bother me. They may not pay me, and
it wouldn't be much anyway, but no one wastes my time for free.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:10:12 -0500, "tom"

snip

Had "Privacy Manager". It was OK but this is cheaper and easier

(assumuing
one already has caller ID).

http://www.phonetray.com/ptfree_features.htm

What's a modem? You have one of those? Is it like a floppy drive?

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Yes, I have a modem. I use it for my fax program, dial-up when my DSL
occasionally goes down and for the above referenced caller ID program that
allows me to avoid the $84 a year I was paying for "Privacy Manager".
PS....I also have a floppy drive.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"T. Rex" wrote:

Just hang up the f*cking phone! How hard is that, anyway?

By hanging up on the caller, you lose.

The name of the game is to WIN and inflict as much PAIN as possible in
ther process.

If you make the SOB hang up, you not only WIN, but make the experience
PAINFUL for the caller.

Remember, when you have your foot on the SOBs neck, crush the f**king
windpipe.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chip Buchholtz wrote:

B A R R Y wrote:
: After years on the various Do-Not-Call lists, and a phone company
: "Privacy Manager" subscription, I have to ask...

: What's a telemarketer? G

Beats me. I've got a a land-line with the least expensive plan,
attached to a single phone with the ringer turned off. I need the
line for DSL, and I can use it if there's a problem with my cell
phone. I use my cell phone for everything else.

No calls from politicians, charities, or telemarketers. The only
calls I get are from family, friends, and work.

--- Chip

Don't get too complacent. Telemarketers have started to invade cell phone
space. Right now, we only get one, it's from some auto warranty scam.
Have thus far just been hanging up on it; if it keeps up, we are going to
have to start registering cell phones on the do not call list.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:46:33 -0500, "tom"

Yes, I have a modem.

I really don't want a modem in my PC, as I see it as a security risk.
I do have a $75 HP networked printer / scanner / fax that's always
on, but it won't work as a dial-up modem.

On a different thought train...

I'd also have to leave my PC on all the time, if I actually had a
modem. I shut my notebook completely off when I'm sleeping and away
from home.

How much electricity does your PC use? G

I've seen estimates from $5/yr. for a notebook that's shut off when
not in use, to ~ $150/yr. for a desktop that shuts the monitor off in
power save mode, going over $400 for a power-user system acting as a
server. Privacy Manager is part of a package, so I really don't pay
$84/yr. for it.

Wouldn't I have to rewire all the other sets in my home to allow
incoming calls to pass through a PC modem first? I have nine phones.

Will Caller ID still appear on the DirecTV boxes for my wife to see?
That's a biggie!

Does the program offer unidentified callers an option to leave a voice
mail?

If I was still on dial-up and still had a computer with a modem, the
program does look like it has some merit for a $10 software, but with
broadband and a notebook...

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 15:58:51 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:
we are going to
have to start registering cell phones on the do not call list.

I did that three years ago.

Why not? It's free and easy!

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:46:33 -0500, "tom"

Yes, I have a modem.

I really don't want a modem in my PC, as I see it as a security risk.

One might pick up a dialer program surfing porn but any decent anti-virus
should intercept that and with the proliferation of broadband dialer nasty's
are pretty much a thing of the past. I don't know of any other security
risk.

I'd also have to leave my PC on all the time, if I actually had a
modem. I shut my notebook completely off when I'm sleeping and away
from home.

How much electricity does your PC use? G

Don't know. I've always left my computer on 24-7 since getting broadband 10
years ago.

Privacy Manager is part of a package, so I really don't pay
$84/yr. for it.

That was my cost and package or not you pay (something) for a service.

Wouldn't I have to rewire all the other sets in my home to allow
incoming calls to pass through a PC modem first? I have nine phones.

No, the computer program intercepts all calls and deals with them without
re-wiring. At least that's how it works for our 7 phones.

Will Caller ID still appear on the DirecTV boxes for my wife to see?
That's a biggie!

I assume so. All our phones still receive the caller ID signal irregardless
of how the program deals with the call.

Does the program offer unidentified callers an option to leave a voice
mail?

No, I don't accept unidentified calls..... at all. With the sophistication
of caller ID these days a call that is unidentified (unknown, out of area,
private) is, in my estimation, a deliberate attempt at concealment and I
don't accept them. I don't answer my from door for people wearing ski masks
either.

If I was still on dial-up and still had a computer with a modem, the
program does look like it has some merit for a $10 software, but with
broadband and a notebook...

The software is free. I actually use this program that I purchased before
the free program was available but appears to be very similiar.
http://www.beiley.com/acallerid/index.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 18:46:05 -0500, "tom"
wrote:

Wouldn't I have to rewire all the other sets in my home to allow
incoming calls to pass through a PC modem first? I have nine phones.

No, the computer program intercepts all calls and deals with them without
re-wiring. At least that's how it works for our 7 phones.

So, you get the first ring on all 7 phones? The caller ID data block
is sent once, between the first and second ring. The only way to not
get the first ring would be to have the PC answer and cut the call
through the modem's voice jack after the Caller ID info was verified
by the software.

This is why I asked about the other boxes (DirectTV) in the houses. If
they aren't sitting on the line when the burst arrives, after the
first ring, they don't get the data.

It's very possible I'm misunderstanding the capabilities of the
program, compared with the Privacy Manager service. I understood that
none of your phones rang at all when unwanted calls arrived.

With PM, I get no ring at all, with the callers being offered the
option of leaving voice mail or to manually key in the number, which
then rings through and appears normally on displays.

No, I don't accept unidentified calls..... at all. With the sophistication
of caller ID these days a call that is unidentified (unknown, out of area,
private) is, in my estimation, a deliberate attempt at concealment and I
don't accept them. I don't answer my from door for people wearing ski masks
either.

My senior-citizen mother has blocked caller ID, and hung up on the
Privacy Manager message, requesting her to key in her number, for the
first 5 times she called me after I got it. She didn't listen to the
message and thought she'd dialed the wrong number G

Some of my out-of-state co-workers call from blocked phones, but they
actually listen to the message, so they just key in their number.

The software is free.

The author requests a $10 donation in the FAQ. Since you're saving
$84/yr., shouldn't you cut him in?

I'm not trying to break 'em off on you, as I can see a real value in
the program, if I was still single and had a desktop or server and
modem at home.

It's kind of like Linux... I really like it, but my wife also uses
our home computer, and I don't want to own two machines... G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:

So, you get the first ring on all 7 phones? The caller ID data block
is sent once, between the first and second ring. The only way to not
get the first ring would be to have the PC answer and cut the call
through the modem's voice jack after the Caller ID info was verified
by the software.

This is why I asked about the other boxes (DirectTV) in the houses. If
they aren't sitting on the line when the burst arrives, after the
first ring, they don't get the data.

I use a free program which is similar called "CallAlert"

The ring(s) and caller ID is passed through to the other phones/devices.
If the calling number is "blacklisted" the modem gives a momentary
off-hook to answer and dump the call.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

Don't get too complacent. Telemarketers have started to invade cell
phone
space. Right now, we only get one, it's from some auto warranty scam.
Have thus far just been hanging up on it; if it keeps up, we are going to
have to start registering cell phones on the do not call list.

Got that one on my work cell phone too. ****ed me off the first time, the
second time I happened to have a few minutes. Kept the guy on for 15
minutes. I told him I wanted to get a warranty on a car I just bought, a
'91 Buick with 186,000 miles. Told him I was only the third owner so it was
in really good shape. He asked me how much I paid for it and I told him
$3600. I could hear him choke at that but he kept his pitch going. They
wanted $2200 for the warranty. Told him it sounded like a good deal and I'd
try to get the money. He called me back in an hour.

The things we do when bored.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"tom" wrote in message
Yes, I have a modem. I use it for my fax program, dial-up when my DSL
occasionally goes down and for the above referenced caller ID program that
allows me to avoid the $84 a year I was paying for "Privacy Manager".
PS....I also have a floppy drive.

You and I must be the only two people left using a fax modem. We just got
new computers at work and they don't have them installed. I'm putting in my
old one though. No one else faxes from their computer.

I figured as long as I was at it, I'd check out fax programs. Win Fax is no
longer published and I didn't find any new ones so I'm putting Win fax back.
I use if mostly for faxing purchase orders and notes where the other party
does not have email.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Chip Buchholtz wrote:

B A R R Y wrote:
: After years on the various Do-Not-Call lists, and a phone company
: "Privacy Manager" subscription, I have to ask...

: What's a telemarketer? G

Beats me. I've got a a land-line with the least expensive plan,
attached to a single phone with the ringer turned off. I need the
line for DSL, and I can use it if there's a problem with my cell
phone. I use my cell phone for everything else.

No calls from politicians, charities, or telemarketers. The only
calls I get are from family, friends, and work.

--- Chip

Don't get too complacent. Telemarketers have started to invade cell phone
space. Right now, we only get one, it's from some auto warranty scam.
Have thus far just been hanging up on it; if it keeps up, we are going to
have to start registering cell phones on the do not call list.

We did ours at https://www.donotcall.gov/
mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"tom" wrote in message
Yes, I have a modem. I use it for my fax program, dial-up when my DSL
occasionally goes down and for the above referenced caller ID program

that
allows me to avoid the $84 a year I was paying for "Privacy Manager".
PS....I also have a floppy drive.

You and I must be the only two people left using a fax modem. We just got
new computers at work and they don't have them installed. I'm putting in

my
old one though. No one else faxes from their computer.

I figured as long as I was at it, I'd check out fax programs. Win Fax is

no
longer published and I didn't find any new ones so I'm putting Win fax

back.
I use if mostly for faxing purchase orders and notes where the other party
does not have email.

XP has a fax program that interfaces with my HP printer/scanner that gives
me a basic but fully functional fax machine. I can scan and send multiple
pages as well as receive and print. I need to manually instruct the program
to receive as I do not have a dedicated fax line. If I'm expecting a fax I
ask for the sending # and check it against caller ID before manually
initiating the fax program. I have to manually install the fax program from
the XP install disc after a re-format as it doesn't automatically install
with the OS.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

wrote:

[...]

My phones always ring at least once with any call but with an unidentified
call 9 out of 10 times the phone will ring only once before the program
initiates the modem for about 10 seconds and then hangs up.

The software is free.

The author requests a $10 donation in the FAQ. Since you're saving
$84/yr., shouldn't you cut him in?

Perhaps I would if I used that program but I've already paid for the other
one I actually do use that I've previously mentioned.

Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:

https://www.donotcall.gov/

Thanks for the link. I think I had it at one time, but it doesn't show up
in my TreePad file (it's there now).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping "tom" Old: How to handle telemarketers

Please contact me off list XP/Fax

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote:
That's exactly what they want you to do. Get you off the phone as
quickly as possible so they can move on to a more likely prospect.
Time is money to them.

That's fine, if they can find some other fool who will fall for their
0nonsense, what business is it of mine? Or yours? I don't know about
you, but my time is valuable and sitting there dicking with some
zit-faced teenager who is trying to make a couple bucks isn't a
worthwhile use of my time.

--
Blog Me! http://BitchSpot.JadeDragonOnline.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke:

T. Rex wrote:

Damn, you guys sound like a bunch of junior high school
kids, playing with the phone. Here's a great new idea:
next time a telemarketer calls you...

Just hang up the f*cking phone! How hard is that, anyway?

No vengeance in that.

And that would be ... gasp ... un-American!

Hang them all and let God sort them out!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rejnold Byzio wrote:
J. Clarke:

T. Rex wrote:

Damn, you guys sound like a bunch of junior high school
kids, playing with the phone. Here's a great new idea:
next time a telemarketer calls you...

Just hang up the f*cking phone! How hard is that, anyway?

No vengeance in that.

And that would be ... gasp ... un-American!

Hang them all and let God sort them out!

I think the other guy is the one that's gonna sort out telemarketers.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 06:21:50 GMT, Brian Henderson
wrote:

LRod wrote:
That's exactly what they want you to do. Get you off the phone as
quickly as possible so they can move on to a more likely prospect.
Time is money to them.

That's fine, if they can find some other fool who will fall for their
0nonsense, what business is it of mine? Or yours? I don't know about
you, but my time is valuable and sitting there dicking with some
zit-faced teenager who is trying to make a couple bucks isn't a
worthwhile use of my time.

Good for you.

I'm retired. My time is completely my own. I can pursue whatever
hobbies or other pointless endeavors I wish. Wasting a telemarketer's
time is no less a worthwhile activity than any of a multitude of other
recreational paths people follow, even when their time is too
"valuable" to be interested in mine.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

[...]

I asked him which car he was calling about, since the notice said that
my warranty was running out. He explained that they had everything
listed by car, not by owner, so he couldn't look it up for me. I made
up two cars like you described, and he confirmed those were the ones
in his database. I told him (as if he didn't already know) that he was
a lying scum, then hung up.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 30, 10:36*am, "Chip Buchholtz" wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:
: After years on the various Do-Not-Call lists, and a phone company
: "Privacy Manager" subscription, I have to ask...

: What's a telemarketer? *G

Beats me. *I've got a a land-line with the least expensive plan,
attached to a single phone with the ringer turned off. *I need the
line for DSL, and I can use it if there's a problem with my cell
phone. *I use my cell phone for everything else.

No calls from politicians, charities, or telemarketers. *The only
calls I get are from family, friends, and work.

--- Chip

I'm with you, but my approach is slightly different. First, an
unlisted number works wonders, but eventually, engaging in commerce in
this world will result in your number appearing on someone's list.
We're coming up on 7 years with the same number and still only get
maybe one or two calls a week.

The rest of the solution is caller-id. I don't answer any call if I
don't recognize the number. It's as simple as that.

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote:
I'm retired. My time is completely my own. I can pursue whatever
hobbies or other pointless endeavors I wish. Wasting a telemarketer's
time is no less a worthwhile activity than any of a multitude of other
recreational paths people follow, even when their time is too
"valuable" to be interested in mine.

Even if I was retired, my time would still be more valuable than that.
Maybe you need a good hobby (looking at the name of the newsgroup...)

--
Blog Me! http://BitchSpot.JadeDragonOnline.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Brent Beal wrote:
How to handle telemarketers

Whenever I answer the phone the caller has maybe one second to say
something. If I don't hear anything within that second I hang up before
the computerized equipment can transfer me to a harassment specialist.
If it was someone who actually wanted to speak to me they will call
right back. Telemarketers don't.

Wayne
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

NoOne N Particular wrote in newsSsIj.3739$p24.3117
@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

Brent Beal wrote:
How to handle telemarketers

Whenever I answer the phone the caller has maybe one second to say
something. If I don't hear anything within that second I hang up before
the computerized equipment can transfer me to a harassment specialist.
If it was someone who actually wanted to speak to me they will call
right back. Telemarketers don't.

Wayne

Would not always work for me. Both grandkids and a cowoker sometimes
cannot get the words out right away. Hope your grandkids are faster, and
that you don't have a coworker as I am referring to.

--
Best regards
Han