Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Default How to handle telemarketers

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:46:33 -0500, "tom"

Yes, I have a modem.

I really don't want a modem in my PC, as I see it as a security risk.

One might pick up a dialer program surfing porn but any decent anti-virus
should intercept that and with the proliferation of broadband dialer nasty's
are pretty much a thing of the past. I don't know of any other security
risk.

I'd also have to leave my PC on all the time, if I actually had a
modem. I shut my notebook completely off when I'm sleeping and away
from home.

How much electricity does your PC use? G

Don't know. I've always left my computer on 24-7 since getting broadband 10
years ago.

Privacy Manager is part of a package, so I really don't pay
$84/yr. for it.

That was my cost and package or not you pay (something) for a service.

Wouldn't I have to rewire all the other sets in my home to allow
incoming calls to pass through a PC modem first? I have nine phones.

No, the computer program intercepts all calls and deals with them without
re-wiring. At least that's how it works for our 7 phones.

Will Caller ID still appear on the DirecTV boxes for my wife to see?
That's a biggie!

I assume so. All our phones still receive the caller ID signal irregardless
of how the program deals with the call.

Does the program offer unidentified callers an option to leave a voice
mail?

No, I don't accept unidentified calls..... at all. With the sophistication
of caller ID these days a call that is unidentified (unknown, out of area,
private) is, in my estimation, a deliberate attempt at concealment and I
don't accept them. I don't answer my from door for people wearing ski masks
either.

If I was still on dial-up and still had a computer with a modem, the
program does look like it has some merit for a $10 software, but with
broadband and a notebook...

The software is free. I actually use this program that I purchased before
the free program was available but appears to be very similiar.
http://www.beiley.com/acallerid/index.html