Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default How to handle telemarketers

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:46:33 -0500, "tom"

Yes, I have a modem.

I really don't want a modem in my PC, as I see it as a security risk.
I do have a $75 HP networked printer / scanner / fax that's always
on, but it won't work as a dial-up modem.

On a different thought train...

I'd also have to leave my PC on all the time, if I actually had a
modem. I shut my notebook completely off when I'm sleeping and away
from home.

How much electricity does your PC use? G

I've seen estimates from $5/yr. for a notebook that's shut off when
not in use, to ~ $150/yr. for a desktop that shuts the monitor off in
power save mode, going over $400 for a power-user system acting as a
server. Privacy Manager is part of a package, so I really don't pay
$84/yr. for it.

Wouldn't I have to rewire all the other sets in my home to allow
incoming calls to pass through a PC modem first? I have nine phones.

Will Caller ID still appear on the DirecTV boxes for my wife to see?
That's a biggie!

Does the program offer unidentified callers an option to leave a voice
mail?

If I was still on dial-up and still had a computer with a modem, the
program does look like it has some merit for a $10 software, but with
broadband and a notebook...

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **