Old November 12th 03, 09:27 PM
KirkH

Default Craftsman Table Saws

This may sound like flame bait at first, but it is a serious question.
Exactly what is everyone's problem with Craftsman table saws???

I started saving for a table say with a $500 limit in mind. After
reading back posts from this group, I looked at a Delta 36-650 at
Lowes for $498 and thought it was a pretty good option. Just for
comparison, I went to Sears and looked at their saws. One of their
saws (forget the model number) was $499 and appeared to be very solid.
Based on what I have read, I paid particular attention to the fence,
and it seemed much more solid and easier to adjust than the Delta.

Now, since I have exactly zero experience with either saw, what
exactly is the problem with Craftsman??? I have read enough of the
"they're all crap!" posts; but I would like to hear exactly why people
feel this way.

I plan to buy one of these saws (or something else in this price
range) in the next few weeks, so I would really appreciate the advice.

Thanks,
Kirk

Old November 12th 03, 09:35 PM
Doug Winterburn

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:27:33 -0800, KirkH wrote:

I plan to buy one of these saws (or something else in this price
range) in the next few weeks, so I would really appreciate the advice.

The G0444 is in your price range, but I'm rat-holing my former cigarette
money for the G1023SL. Was almost there and SWMBO decided we needed some
more vacation money - grrrrrr

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...010&StartRow=1

-Doug
Old November 12th 03, 09:42 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"KirkH" wrote in message
om...
This may sound like flame bait at first, but it is a serious question.
Exactly what is everyone's problem with Craftsman table saws???
I plan to buy one of these saws (or something else in this price
range) in the next few weeks, so I would really appreciate the advice.

The nameplate? The quality of Craftsman tools can vary. Some are good
value, many are overpriced. All are made by someone else. If a particular
model is made by a reputable company and the nameplate is the only
difference, on sale, it may be a good buy. Sears has also had a reputation
for putting money into glitzy but of questionable use features.

Typically, you can get more bang for your buck at other tool shops. I've
had some Craftsman power tools. They were low end and while they were not
bad for the money, they did not compare to what I replaced them with (at a
higher price).
Ed

Old November 12th 03, 09:53 PM
Halon1211

I have alot of Craftsman with no complaints. Other tools I bought (to
include Ryobi) wore out within a year of pretty light use, or was never
quite right to begin with. I replaced those items, including my table saw,
with Craftsman. It's a good saw, is accurate and does everything I want.
The fence locks in where I need it and is never at a diagonal or not square.
Right now I'm in the middle of having to buy a new router to replace my 14
month old Ryobi. I think the only thing on it that still works is the
motor. The lock won't lock the shaft to insert/remove bits, and the depth
adjustment engages nothing. Keeping in mind I take very good care of my
tools since I can't afford to keep replacing them, I picked the darn thing
up last night and a piece of plastic just fell out of it. Who the hell puts
plastic parts in any kind of serious tool? Guess the little Malaysian kid
who built that one was having an off day.

So, I say again, if any folks have craftsman that they really hate that
much, send it to me and I'll give 'em a good home.

George

om...

Old November 12th 03, 10:35 PM
Wade Lippman

Until yesterday I was in exactly the same position as you. So I have three
pieces of advice.

1) I found another store that had the Delta for $449. I got Lowes to agree
to sell it to me for 10% less then the other place, so I was all set to buy
it for $405, until...

2) Craftsman never puts the $495 saw on sale, but they frequently package it
with a dust catcher and router table insert for $495, and the package is
advertised (at least it was in Oct and Nov) during the week that members of
the Craftsman club can get 10% off. So, with the extras it is only $450;
though the router table is pretty crappy. So, I thought I would buy that,
until...

3) I saw a 20 years old Craftsman saw advertised. It was recently upgraded
to have a 2hp motor, pulleys, belt, fence, magnetic switch, huge on-off
switch, motor dust housing, and casters. I bought it for $250 yesterday.
The motor alone cost more than I paid. It doesn't have cast iron extensions
(thank God, because if it did, I doubt I could have gotten it into my
basement without taking it all apart), but otherwise it is worth about $900.
There is hardly a scratch on it.
You would have to be very lucky to find a buy that good, but if your budget
is tight, you ought to look around; you can probably find something used for
$150 that is almost as good as the Delta or Craftsman; some day when you
have more funds you can put a new fence and belt on it and be better than
new.
Oh, around here decent used saws sell within a day of the ad coming out, so
act fast. The first few I called on had already been sold.

Good Luck.

Old November 13th 03, 12:47 AM
Phisherman

On 12 Nov 2003 13:27:33 -0800, (KirkH) wrote:

[...]

That's because it's plan and simple, don't waste your $500 on a
Craftsman table saw! The table saw is THE most important power tool
in the shop. If you still want to spend the the $500, get a quality
circular saw or save at least a few hundred bucks more for a Grizzly
cabinet saw. Delta, Jet, General or PM are brands to shop. Craftsman
makes a few decent mechanic hand tools, but Craftsman clamps are
crap!!!

Old November 13th 03, 12:48 AM
CW

It what is known as "me-too-ism". It's a popular thing to say and people
feel the need to fit in. No sense you getting all the flames.
om...

Old November 13th 03, 12:50 AM
CW

Sears has never in their history been a manufacturer.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

All are made by someone else.

Old November 13th 03, 03:16 AM
Chris Merrill

KirkH wrote:
Now, since I have exactly zero experience with either saw, what
exactly is the problem with Craftsman??? I have read enough of the
"they're all crap!" posts; but I would like to hear exactly why people
feel this way.

In some cases, it's more of a 'you get what you pay for' issue.

I had a Craftsman hand-held jigsaw. I rarely used it because it
vibrated SOOO badly that it would make my hand numb after about
5 minutes...so I would do something else until the feeling came
back (20-30 minutes) and then go back to the jigsaw.
IIRC, I paid $55 for the saw in 1989. It was probably nearly as
good as every other $55 saw available at the time. I recently got
a Bosch and it is a DREAM! BUT, I paid $160 for the Bosch -- so
it is not a fair comparison. Is there a Craftsman jigsaw in the
same price range? Yes. According to the reviews by professionals,
it was not as good...but it's probably a LOT better than the
one I had.

IMO, a lot of people 'trade up' in this manner - then they remember
how much the cheapo Craftsman sucked...and how great the newer,
more expensive tool is.

That being said, it has been a long time since I've read a tool
review in a magazine in which the Craftsman tool came out on
top. However, lots of people have made lots of nice stuff with
Craftsman table saws.

I'll stop rambling now.

Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)