Chris Merrill

Default Craftsman Table Saws

KirkH wrote:
Now, since I have exactly zero experience with either saw, what
exactly is the problem with Craftsman??? I have read enough of the
"they're all crap!" posts; but I would like to hear exactly why people
feel this way.

In some cases, it's more of a 'you get what you pay for' issue.

I had a Craftsman hand-held jigsaw. I rarely used it because it
vibrated SOOO badly that it would make my hand numb after about
5 minutes...so I would do something else until the feeling came
back (20-30 minutes) and then go back to the jigsaw.
IIRC, I paid $55 for the saw in 1989. It was probably nearly as
good as every other $55 saw available at the time. I recently got
a Bosch and it is a DREAM! BUT, I paid $160 for the Bosch -- so
it is not a fair comparison. Is there a Craftsman jigsaw in the
same price range? Yes. According to the reviews by professionals,
it was not as good...but it's probably a LOT better than the
one I had.

IMO, a lot of people 'trade up' in this manner - then they remember
how much the cheapo Craftsman sucked...and how great the newer,
more expensive tool is.

That being said, it has been a long time since I've read a tool
review in a magazine in which the Craftsman tool came out on
top. However, lots of people have made lots of nice stuff with
Craftsman table saws.

I'll stop rambling now.

Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)