Phisherman

Default Craftsman Table Saws

On 12 Nov 2003 13:27:33 -0800, (KirkH) wrote:

This may sound like flame bait at first, but it is a serious question.
Exactly what is everyone's problem with Craftsman table saws???

I started saving for a table say with a $500 limit in mind. After
reading back posts from this group, I looked at a Delta 36-650 at
Lowes for $498 and thought it was a pretty good option. Just for
comparison, I went to Sears and looked at their saws. One of their
saws (forget the model number) was $499 and appeared to be very solid.
Based on what I have read, I paid particular attention to the fence,
and it seemed much more solid and easier to adjust than the Delta.

Now, since I have exactly zero experience with either saw, what
exactly is the problem with Craftsman??? I have read enough of the
"they're all crap!" posts; but I would like to hear exactly why people
feel this way.

I plan to buy one of these saws (or something else in this price
range) in the next few weeks, so I would really appreciate the advice.

Thanks,
Kirk

That's because it's plan and simple, don't waste your $500 on a
Craftsman table saw! The table saw is THE most important power tool
in the shop. If you still want to spend the the $500, get a quality
circular saw or save at least a few hundred bucks more for a Grizzly
cabinet saw. Delta, Jet, General or PM are brands to shop. Craftsman
makes a few decent mechanic hand tools, but Craftsman clamps are
crap!!!