Wade Lippman

Default Craftsman Table Saws

Until yesterday I was in exactly the same position as you. So I have three
pieces of advice.

1) I found another store that had the Delta for $449. I got Lowes to agree
to sell it to me for 10% less then the other place, so I was all set to buy
it for $405, until...

2) Craftsman never puts the $495 saw on sale, but they frequently package it
with a dust catcher and router table insert for $495, and the package is
advertised (at least it was in Oct and Nov) during the week that members of
the Craftsman club can get 10% off. So, with the extras it is only $450;
though the router table is pretty crappy. So, I thought I would buy that,
until...

3) I saw a 20 years old Craftsman saw advertised. It was recently upgraded
to have a 2hp motor, pulleys, belt, fence, magnetic switch, huge on-off
switch, motor dust housing, and casters. I bought it for $250 yesterday.
The motor alone cost more than I paid. It doesn't have cast iron extensions
(thank God, because if it did, I doubt I could have gotten it into my
basement without taking it all apart), but otherwise it is worth about $900.
There is hardly a scratch on it.
You would have to be very lucky to find a buy that good, but if your budget
is tight, you ought to look around; you can probably find something used for
$150 that is almost as good as the Delta or Craftsman; some day when you
have more funds you can put a new fence and belt on it and be better than
new.
Oh, around here decent used saws sell within a day of the ad coming out, so
act fast. The first few I called on had already been sold.

Good Luck.