bummster

Default Craftsman Table Saws

On 12 Nov 2003 13:27:33 -0800, (KirkH) wrote:

This may sound like flame bait at first, but it is a serious question.
Exactly what is everyone's problem with Craftsman table saws???

I started saving for a table say with a $500 limit in mind. After
reading back posts from this group, I looked at a Delta 36-650 at
Lowes for $498 and thought it was a pretty good option. Just for
comparison, I went to Sears and looked at their saws. One of their
saws (forget the model number) was $499 and appeared to be very solid.
Based on what I have read, I paid particular attention to the fence,
and it seemed much more solid and easier to adjust than the Delta.

Now, since I have exactly zero experience with either saw, what
exactly is the problem with Craftsman??? I have read enough of the
"they're all crap!" posts; but I would like to hear exactly why people
feel this way.

I plan to buy one of these saws (or something else in this price
range) in the next few weeks, so I would really appreciate the advice.

Thanks,
Kirk

Okay, I have a craftsman ts. mine is about 10 years old, and i picked
it up for about 150. came with a stand, and nice dust catching
system. no blade, no wrenches. table had no pitting, fence needed
attention, but that wasn't too bad. after aligning everything up to
..001, and some minor upgrades (PALS, link belt/pulleys), it cuts well.
very well. while true that i'm not going to be able to push through
8/4 hardwood as fast as a uni, it still works well.

negatives on a craftsman though are readily apparent... the mitre
slot is an odd size. it's just slightly too small. which is crazy
annoying. the fence? another joke. at least if you have an older
one. the XR2424 is supposed to be good. to get mine to stay
straight, i press against the bottom rail slide, and then lock it.
usually, it's straight, as long as no shavings or wood bits get under
the rail slide. upgrading is an issue. why pay for a $300+
fence/rails when it costs more than the saw? while true that you can
take the fence with you to your next saw, it's still an issue.

the biggest issue that i have is the splitter. it stinks. you can
get an upgraded merlin splitter. but it costs almost as much as my
saw. the merlin splitter is craftsman specific, so you can't take it
to a delta or jet.

in the end, the craftsman saw is a decent saw. set it up right, and
it'll rip nice smooth edges without much fuss. but the little things,
or maybe big things depending who you talk to, add up in a hurry.