Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mechanical Aptitude Test

Was posted in alt.machines.cnc... But doesn't seem to have migrated over
here yet...

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php

I scored a 430...

I've got the unfair advantage over some of you of being trained here on the
job... But never had schooling in most of this so...

Share your score with us... No shame or bragging rights, just a fun test.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
: Was posted in alt.machines.cnc... But doesn't seem to have migrated over
: here yet...

: http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php

: I scored a 430...

I scored a 420, and I think their answer for question 31 is wrong. I
measured from the center of gravity of the load to the fulcrum, and
they measured from the outer edge of the load to the fulcrum.

I emailed them about it, so I'll probably find out that I screwed up.

It's a fun quiz, thanks!

--- Chip
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 23 Oct, 16:59, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

I scored a 430...

470, but I wasn't impressed by some of the questions. As an example,
the "two boxes on a seesaw" has a range of possible answers, depending
on whether they're a point mass or a distributed mass within the box.
To get their answer you have to assume a point mass, that's a pretty
tenuous stretch of the imagination. Redrawing the diagram a little
better would clarify things.

Anyone found the full set of correct answers yet? I'm too busy just at
the minute, but it would be interesting to see them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Was posted in alt.machines.cnc... But doesn't seem to have migrated over
here yet...

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php

I scored a 430...

I've got the unfair advantage over some of you of being trained here on the
job... But never had schooling in most of this so...

Share your score with us... No shame or bragging rights, just a fun test.

470.

I agree with Chip on Q31. But by his (and my) analysis, none of the
answers given were correct.

--Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php

I scored a 430...

Share your score with us... No shame or bragging rights, just a fun test.

Fun little test. I got 480.

Their answer to #16 is wrong. Since the ropes are angled somewhat the
actual force would be more than 50kg. (And besides, kg are a unit of
mass, not force. The actual force would be a bit more than 9.8 * 50
Newtons.)

I too think their answer in #31 is wrong, and some of their electrical
symbols are a bit funky.

I got wrong the pipe one wrong. I expect that Bernoulli's principle
means that the pressure is lower in the narrower section.

I also got the "naturally aspirated engine" one wrong. I said it was
suction from the piston, but really that wouldn't cause anything to
happen without atmospheric pressure pushing it in, so I guess I can't
complain.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chip Buchholtz" writes:
: I scored a 430...

I got a 480.

I scored a 420, and I think their answer for question 31 is wrong.
I measured from the center of gravity of the load to the fulcrum,
and they measured from the outer edge of the load to the fulcrum.

Right, the correct answer is 60. Not seeing that as an option, I
figured out how they measured it and chose their answer.

Also the question about naturally aspirated pistons was ambiguous.
There were two correct answers, depending on your point of view. The
retreating piston creates a lower pressure inside the cylinder, but
one could argue that both the retracting piston *and* the natural
atmospheric pressure work together to force air into the cylinder.
They marked that one wrong, but I knew I had a 50/50 chance.

I got the balloon one wrong, but I think they're wrong, or at least
ambiguous. For the baloons to be different sizes in the same air
space (as shown), they have to be of different composition, so they
all are in the "same air" and thus atmospheric pressure (PSI) is the
same (14psi at sea level, for example) but the balloons themselves
exert varying pressures on the gasses therein. Had they asked which
had the highest pressure INSIDE the balloon, I would have gotten their
answer. Unless they meant TOTAL pressure exerted by the atmosphere,
in which case they should have asked for that (and in which case, the
contents of the balloons is irrelevent). Or if they assume the
balloons have not yet reached steady state, but that wasn't mentioned
in the problem either.

Or maybe I was just over-analyzing it. The picture does show them in
common air, though. Had they drawn lines between the balloons, to
show them possibly in different air pressures, I would have gotten it
right.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Andy Dingley writes:
Anyone found the full set of correct answers yet? I'm too busy just at
the minute, but it would be interesting to see them.

After you're done, you can review the results and see the right
answers, and which you got wrong. Use the poorly-labeled magnifying
glass icon.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve" wrote in message
Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Was posted in alt.machines.cnc... But doesn't seem to have migrated over
here yet...

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php

I scored a 430...

I've got the unfair advantage over some of you of being trained here on
the
job... But never had schooling in most of this so...

Share your score with us... No shame or bragging rights, just a fun
test.

470.

I agree with Chip on Q31. But by his (and my) analysis, none of the
answers given were correct.

Same score and comment on Q31 as Steve.
Kerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article 9ToTi.1289$Gq2.470@trnddc01,
Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Was posted in alt.machines.cnc... But doesn't seem to have migrated over
here yet...

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php

I scored a 430...

I've got the unfair advantage over some of you of being trained here on the
job... But never had schooling in most of this so...

Share your score with us... No shame or bragging rights, just a fun test.

490. I'd like to know which question I missed....
Posted to rec.woodworking

490. I'd like to know which question I missed....

There is some little clickable thing at the bottom that reveals which you
missed.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 23, 1:26 pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

Ditto in score (480) and ditto in complaints.
Without the piston creating a (partial) vacuum, the atmosphere could
NOT push in the air....and the piston down.
Got the pipe one wrong too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ditto in score (480) and ditto in complaints.
Without the piston creating a (partial) vacuum, the atmosphere could
NOT push in the air....and the piston down.

Without an atmosphere, there would be no vacuum.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 23 Oct, 18:14, Andy Dingley wrote:

Anyone found the full set of correct answers yet?

When you can see the results, it's easier...

Q7 (which geartrain is which) is just plain wrong. Even allowing for
crazy Yankee terminology, there's no way that the one train of three
pinions (the others are all 2) can be "reverse". That's not mechanical
aptitude, that's assuming that you're looking inside a RWD car gearbox
(where the extra idler gear is indeed used for reverse) -- but then
"direct drive" in that context wouldn't be using any of the gears.

Q45 The balloons are another bad question. Three balloons illustrated
as being next to each other? Of course the atmospheric pressure is
identical (Pascal's principle, if you care), it's far more likely that
they're made of thicker rubber than there's some sort of barometric
change across the page.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:59:01 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

Was posted in alt.machines.cnc... But doesn't seem to have migrated over
here yet...

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php

I scored a 430...

470

missed the planetary gear direction, matching up the description
(reverse, reduction, etc.) with the gear pictures, and the fan blowing
on the fan.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:14:13 -0700, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On 23 Oct, 16:59, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

I scored a 430...

470, but I wasn't impressed by some of the questions. As an example,
the "two boxes on a seesaw" has a range of possible answers, depending
on whether they're a point mass or a distributed mass within the box.
To get their answer you have to assume a point mass, that's a pretty
tenuous stretch of the imagination. Redrawing the diagram a little
better would clarify things.

Anyone found the full set of correct answers yet? I'm too busy just at
the minute, but it would be interesting to see them.

Agree! To get an answer that is listed, you have to assume the CG of
each box is at the outer edge of the box..

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Was posted in alt.machines.cnc... But doesn't seem to have migrated over
here yet...

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php

I scored a 430...

I've got the unfair advantage over some of you of being trained here on the
job... But never had schooling in most of this so...

Share your score with us... No shame or bragging rights, just a fun test.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

480

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andy Dingley wrote:

On 23 Oct, 18:14, Andy Dingley wrote:

Anyone found the full set of correct answers yet?

When you can see the results, it's easier...

Q7 (which geartrain is which) is just plain wrong. Even allowing for
crazy Yankee terminology, there's no way that the one train of three
pinions (the others are all 2) can be "reverse". That's not mechanical
aptitude, that's assuming that you're looking inside a RWD car gearbox
(where the extra idler gear is indeed used for reverse) -- but then
"direct drive" in that context wouldn't be using any of the gears.

Q45 The balloons are another bad question. Three balloons illustrated
as being next to each other? Of course the atmospheric pressure is
identical (Pascal's principle, if you care), it's far more likely that
they're made of thicker rubber than there's some sort of barometric
change across the page.

I agree. They are the two I got wrong.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in

Was posted in alt.machines.cnc... But doesn't seem to have migrated
over here yet...

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php

I scored a 430...

I've got the unfair advantage over some of you of being trained here
on the job... But never had schooling in most of this so...

Share your score with us... No shame or bragging rights, just a fun
test.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

Well, I didn't do that great. 370.

I missed many of the same questions others did, and messed up a few on my
own. The ones I did mess up where the ones involving some math (and
physics) mainly because I just half guessed.

I'm not sure about the question with the three lights and switch
bypassing one. They're going off a common misconception that electricity
follows the path of least resistance, but that cannot be true. Parallel
circuits would NOT work if it was. If I remember, I'll test it on a
breadboard later.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 23, 11:59 am, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
Was posted in alt.machines.cnc... But doesn't seem to have migrated over
here yet...

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php

I scored a 430...

I've got the unfair advantage over some of you of being trained here on the
job... But never had schooling in most of this so...

Share your score with us... No shame or bragging rights, just a fun test.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013-R

420 , not bad for an offcie worker.

#7. I reversed their opinion of the direct vs reversing drive. I picked C as
the reversing drive since the two gears go in the opposite direction. I am
a EE so I admit ignorance about the choice of terminology. I still like my
choices better.

#11. The screw drive I am probably wrong (see previous comment about
being an EE).

#31. I also agree that the correct answer should be 60. I picked 50 as being
the closest. The only way that 100 would be correct if the weights are a
point mass and the mass is at the outside edge of each box.

#38. This one is ambiguous. Since the two fans are facing in opposite
directions, what frame of reference should be used? I chose that the
unpowered fan will be going in reverse (compared to what it would be going
if it had power applied).

#44. Another ambiguous question. I finally chose C (in tube A only). I had initially
selected A (higher in tube A then tube B) but changed to C. As mentioned by
another poster. This is a venturi tube. The height in tube B will definitely be
lower than tube A. Whether there is any water in tube B depends upon the outlet
pressure at the right. I guessed that they wanted C. After I went to the next
question. I reconsidered since A would be technically more correct. However
getting the answer correctly on a test involves guessing what is expected
by the people creating the test. I guessed wrong.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've challenged the Mech engineers where I work to take the test to see just
how they scored.

So far only a few have bothered taking it and they came in at 460, 470,480,
and me a non-engineer at 410.

There are a couple of questions that have debatable answers, depending on
your point of view.

Such as the intake stroke bringing air in. Air pressure is the correct
answer but 'suction' should also be correct, by definition.

The fulcrum with the two boxes on it, the left one near, the right one a
distance away is another.

If you look at it from a simplistic point of view and you assume the box
occupies 2 segments, then the right box is 3 times as far away (the correct
answer) but if you compare from the middle of the left box to the middle of
the right box, then the ratios appears to be 5:1 not 3:1.

you need to look at the test as an ENTRANCE exam, rather tha as a final
examine. Don't make things more complicated than they need to be.

"Nova" wrote in message
Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Was posted in alt.machines.cnc... But doesn't seem to have migrated over
here yet...

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php

I scored a 430...

I've got the unfair advantage over some of you of being trained here on
the
job... But never had schooling in most of this so...

Share your score with us... No shame or bragging rights, just a fun
test.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

480

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Such as the intake stroke bringing air in. Air pressure is the correct
answer but 'suction' should also be correct, by definition.

Someone said that suction can't exist without air in the first place.

Fun little time waster though, eh?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

This one triped up every engineer here that has taken the test so far.

I was thinking along the same lines at first, noting that if you measure
from the center of each box to the fulcrum, the the distance ratio appears
to be 5:1 but that results in an answer of 60kg, and that ain't an option
given.

However....

If you look at it as each box sites on two segments, and count that way, or
in other words if each segment was shown as the width of a box, the the
ratio appears as 3:1 which provides the correct solution.

"Chip Buchholtz" wrote in message
Joe AutoDrill wrote:
: Was posted in alt.machines.cnc... But doesn't seem to have migrated
over
: here yet...

: http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php

: I scored a 430...

I scored a 420, and I think their answer for question 31 is wrong. I
measured from the center of gravity of the load to the fulcrum, and
they measured from the outer edge of the load to the fulcrum.

I emailed them about it, so I'll probably find out that I screwed up.

It's a fun quiz, thanks!

--- Chip

Posted to rec.woodworking

ups.com...
Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

Again, this one is debatable as both 'Suction' and 'Atmospheric Pressue' are
valid answers.

As the piston goes down, it results in lowering the air pressure inside the
chamber. Thus there is now a difference in pressure between inside the
chamber and outside. It's this difference in air pressure that results in
air flowing into the chamber.

Of course the piston going down creates a lower pressure in the chamber,
which results in 'sucking' the air in.

Both answers are correct.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Was posted in alt.machines.cnc... But doesn't seem to have migrated over
here yet...

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php

I scored a 430...

I've got the unfair advantage over some of you of being trained here on the
job... But never had schooling in most of this so...

Share your score with us... No shame or bragging rights, just a fun test.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

420. Thought I did better.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

There's no substitute for good manners
except fast reflexes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HDRDTD" wrote in message ...
If you look at it from a simplistic point of view and you assume the box occupies 2 segments, then
the right box is 3 times as far away (the correct answer) but if you compare from the middle of
the left box to the middle of the right box, then the ratios appears to be 5:1 not 3:1.

you need to look at the test as an ENTRANCE exam, rather tha as a final examine. Don't make things
more complicated than they need to be.

I dare you to take a real set of boxes and a real lever and fulcrum and
try it. You will not get 100. As illustrated (and assuming that the boxes are
homogeneous) the correct answer is 60.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

Ditto in score (480)

Not being smart enough to make this old box do/allow php, I don't see
anything but a banner ad for trucks and diesel parts ... so I guess I fail
by default.

Sounds interesting, though.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

470

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 23, 3:07 pm, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
Ditto in score (480) and ditto in complaints.
Without the piston creating a (partial) vacuum, the atmosphere could
NOT push in the air....and the piston down.

Without an atmosphere, there would be no vacuum.
--

Vacuum is the default. The voids of space are a vacuum.
Atmosphere and its pressure are the aberration.

The piston is mechanically pulled down to create a condition akin to a
vacuum.
The mere presence of an atmosphere allows a flow to occur TO the
vacuum.
The atmospheric pressure does NOT create a vacuum. In the piston's
case, a mechanical event creates a vacuum. The void created by
removing atmospheric pressure creates the vacuum, therefore......

Posted to rec.woodworking

ups.com...

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

No they are not.
Atmospheric pressure is 14.6 PSIA A little over 14 psi over nothing.
Nothing (vacuum) is the default.
The downward pull of the piston is created by a mechanical input.
(Flywheel, whatever)
The atmosphere simply fills that void...it surely does not CREATE the
vacuum.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 23, 6:33 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

Ditto in score (480)

Not being smart enough to make this old box do/allow php, I don't see
anything but a banner ad for trucks and diesel parts ... so I guess I fail
by default.

Sounds interesting, though.

I will remain interesting as long as Miller doesn't find a semantic
error somewhere by somebody.
Nobody throws cold water on warm, fuzzy, cozy discussions like Miller.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:59:45 -0400, "HDRDTD" wrote:

Again, this one is debatable as both 'Suction' and 'Atmospheric Pressue' are
valid answers.

I think this one's reasonable - it's multi-choice, you do know that it's
one of the answers, and _only_ one of the answers. With that extra
axiom, the answer is clearly "atmospheric pressure" rather than
"cylinder suction".

Given what I learned from the balloons question, I think it's actually
local variations in non-constant air pressure between cylinders...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:38:20 -0700, "Dan Coby"

#44. Another ambiguous question. I finally chose C (in tube A only). I had initially
selected A (higher in tube A then tube B) but changed to C.

This is a very obvious one -- _if_ you remember that it's for a vehicle
company. Bernoulli's principle (the pressure drops if the flow velocity
speeds up) is a key part of how petrol carburettors work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Tom Veatch wrote:

missed the planetary gear direction, matching up the description
(reverse, reduction, etc.) with the gear pictures, and the fan blowing
on the fan.

The fan blowing on the fan is an ambiguous question. They're facing each
other, and spinning the "same" direction, in the sense that when viewed from
the side, they're both spinning down on the edge facing you (or up, depending
on which side you're on). But when each one is viewed from *its*own* front,
one is spinning clockwise, and the other counterclockwise.

So is that the same direction? Or the opposite direction?

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "HDRDTD" wrote:
This one triped up every engineer here that has taken the test so far.

I was thinking along the same lines at first, noting that if you measure
from the center of each box to the fulcrum, the the distance ratio appears
to be 5:1

Not "appears to be". Is.

but that results in an answer of 60kg, and that ain't an option
given.

That's because the testmaker screwed up, and forgot that the weights will
behave as point masses located at their respective centers of gravity. 60kg is
the correct answer.

However....

If you look at it as each box sites on two segments, and count that way, or
in other words if each segment was shown as the width of a box, the the
ratio appears as 3:1 which provides the correct solution.

No, not the correct solution -- the solution that matches their answer.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 23, 8:04 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Tom Veatch wrote:

missed the planetary gear direction, matching up the description
(reverse, reduction, etc.) with the gear pictures, and the fan blowing
on the fan.

The fan blowing on the fan is an ambiguous question. They're facing each
other, and spinning the "same" direction, in the sense that when viewed from
the side, they're both spinning down on the edge facing you (or up, depending
on which side you're on). But when each one is viewed from *its*own* front,
one is spinning clockwise, and the other counterclockwise.

So is that the same direction? Or the opposite direction?

--
Regards,

Both blades rotate in the same direction regardless of vantage point.
You stand behind one fan, and both blades turn clockwise. You stand
behind the other, both blades turn anti-clockwise. What on earth is so
hard about that, oh wise one?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 23 Oct 2007 20:19:34 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

I'm not sure about the question with the three lights and switch
bypassing one. They're going off a common misconception that electricity
follows the path of least resistance, but that cannot be true. Parallel
circuits would NOT work if it was. If I remember, I'll test it on a
breadboard later.

Puckdropper

The current in each branch of the parallel paths will be inversely
related to the resistance of the branch and directly related to the
resistance of the parallel branch. You can use Ohm's law (E=IR) to
derive the mathematical relationship.

If you assume the path through the switch has zero resistance (an OK
first approximation) then the current through the lamp would be zero.
As the resistance of the path through the switch increases, the amount
of current through the lamp would increase.

If you breadboard it, insert a variable resistor in series with the
switch. I predict that as you increase the resistance of the path
through the switch, the brightness of the lamp will also increase.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

HDRDTD wrote:

: If you look at it as each box sites on two segments, and count that way, or
: in other words if each segment was shown as the width of a box, the the
: ratio appears as 3:1 which provides the correct solution.

No, then the ratio is 2.5 : 0.5, or 5:1, because the center of one
weight is halfway through the 3rd double segment, and the center of
the other weight is halfway through the first double segment.

I think it's clearer if you use circles or triangles to represent the
weights, so it's more obvious where the weight "is".

Or, think of each side as having two weights, each one segment wide
and half the total weight. You can treat the total weight as being at
the midpoint between the two weights, but you clearly can't ignore the
position of one weight and treat the total as being at the end of the
other weight.

--- Chip