Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mechanical Aptitude Test

Was posted in alt.machines.cnc... But doesn't seem to have migrated over
here yet...

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php

I scored a 430...

I've got the unfair advantage over some of you of being trained here on the
job... But never had schooling in most of this so...

Share your score with us... No shame or bragging rights, just a fun test.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-23, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Was posted in alt.machines.cnc... But doesn't seem to have migrated over
here yet...

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php

I scored a 430...

I scored 420.

I've got the unfair advantage over some of you of being trained here on the
job... But never had schooling in most of this so...

I actually had schooling on all of these questions in high school
(physics).

Share your score with us... No shame or bragging rights, just a fun test.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:58:44 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

Was posted in alt.machines.cnc... But doesn't seem to have migrated over
here yet...

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php

I scored a 430...

I've got the unfair advantage over some of you of being trained here on the
job... But never had schooling in most of this so...

Share your score with us... No shame or bragging rights, just a fun test.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Hey Joe,

I got one wrong. And I couldn't believe it!!!!!!!! All my working
life had to do daily with worms and worm-gears, and I GOT IT
WRONG!!!!!! The Union will want my Mechanics card back!! Thank
goodness I retired before they found out how dumb I really was!!

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Joe,

I got one wrong. And I couldn't believe it!!!!!!!! All my working
life had to do daily with worms and worm-gears, and I GOT IT
WRONG!!!!!! The Union will want my Mechanics card back!! Thank
goodness I retired before they found out how dumb I really was!!

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

LOL... I corrected my answer on that one before I "sent" it. I had to
visualize a screw going into a threaded hole and the force it would generate
if it were self-tapping... Then translate that to what it would do to the
other part...

I never took physics... Except for a 15 minute "thing" last night on DVD
canned "Standard Dievients" which was REALLY annoying.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Don't feel bad - I got the darn worm gear wrong too. Scored 470.
Fan turningsame direction or opposite? ambigous question, in a way.
fan 1 clockwize. fan 2 clockwise from which end???
And the darn balloon. Ambiguous question. Didn't say it was the SAME
gas in each balloon, but when you see their answer you know what the
question was. The 3 balloons are not side by side. They are the SAME
balloon in different atmospheric conditions.

All in all the questions were a bit poorly worded.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
Was posted in alt.machines.cnc... But doesn't seem to have migrated over
here yet...

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php

I scored a 430...

I've got the unfair advantage over some of you of being trained here on
the
job... But never had schooling in most of this so...

Share your score with us... No shame or bragging rights, just a fun test.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

I got an 838. What do I win?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:19:51 -0400, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

BIG SNIP

All in all the questions were a bit poorly worded.

Hey Clare,

Too true!! But it was fun.

I really did want to pick the one where a weight was being held up "by
hand" versus pulled over a sheave from one of two angles. ( I think
that it was question # 15 .) With no proviso in the wording that the
sheaves had zero friction, the answer I gave should have been wrong,
as I picked the answer that all three were the same force. But I
"guessed" at what the point being made was, realizing it was only
rhetorical after noticing that it was kind of a limp-wristed grasp of
a line by just one "hand" that was holding up that 150 pounds. At
least nobody I know!

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:49:59 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

SNIP

I got an 838. What do I win?

Steve

A visit to the optometrist for good corrective lenses?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 23:37:54 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

SNIP

I got an 838. What do I win?

Steve

A visit to the optometrist for good corrective lenses?

I've been meaning to do that, but can't see the doctor's address in the
phone book ........

Steve ;-)

On a side note..I ordered two pair of glasses from Zenni Optical a
month ago. Im still waiting for them, but a fast call to the US office
indicated that they should be here any day, as they were shipped.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:37:57 -0400, Brian Lawson wrote:

I got one wrong. And I couldn't believe it!!!!!!!! All my working
life had to do daily with worms and worm-gears, and I GOT IT
WRONG!!!!!! The Union will want my Mechanics card back!! Thank
goodness I retired before they found out how dumb I really was!!

I've looked at that worm gear question another time after a respected
coworker of mine also got it wrong, and I'm not convinced that the
"right" answer is right. Either that or there's some Escher kind of
thing going on with that drawing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 24 Oct 2007 23:53:08 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:37:57 -0400, Brian Lawson wrote:

I got one wrong. And I couldn't believe it!!!!!!!! All my working
life had to do daily with worms and worm-gears, and I GOT IT
WRONG!!!!!! The Union will want my Mechanics card back!! Thank
goodness I retired before they found out how dumb I really was!!

I've looked at that worm gear question another time after a respected
coworker of mine also got it wrong, and I'm not convinced that the
"right" answer is right. Either that or there's some Escher kind of
thing going on with that drawing.

Hey Dave,

Naw, they have it correct. It was just me.

Just for fun, draw a series of parallel diagonal lines, top left to
lower right. If that were the "threads" of a screw, you would be
drawing a right-hand thread, with the head of the bolt on the
right-hand side. Now pull the top of the lines "down", as indicated
by the arrow showing rotation direction on the drawing. That moves
the "centre" of each line to the left. The same motion if it were a
bolt would be to loosen or remove the bolt. The "bolt" in this case
is trapped, and while it can turn, it cannot move left or right, so
the force is applied to the nut (worm-gear), and would therefore push
it away. Pushing "away" on the top of the worm-gear causes it to
rotate Counter-Clock-Wise.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Was posted in alt.machines.cnc... But doesn't seem to have migrated over
here yet...

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php

I scored a 430...

I've got the unfair advantage over some of you of being trained here on the
job... But never had schooling in most of this so...

Share your score with us... No shame or bragging rights, just a fun test.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

That _was_ fun Thanks for the post. 44 right for 88%

Bob
rgentry at oz dot net