larry moe 'n curly

Default Panasonic VCR mechanical question?

I have a Panasonic PV-V4521 VCR that recently caused a tape to pucker
along the bottom edge, even though the capstan washer hadn't ridden up
the shaft and the tape didn't seem to ride too low in the groove around
the stationary drum (bright reflection when flashlight shined on it).
I cleaned the tape path by hand but didn't see much stuff come off (had
been cleaned by hand a month ago). The tape recorded when the
puckering occurred caused my TV to show a blue screen when played at
normal speed but the sound was normal (I think it wasn't hi-fi sound).
When I played the tape at fast speed, the picture was partially
folded-over. Does that sound like way too much back tension?

I notice that the brake on the take-up reel has white grease on it. Is
that normal? This grease is opaque white, unlike the transparent green
grease found elsewhere in the mechanism.

Also I'm probably going to buy one more VCR before switching to
recordable DVDs. The only Japanese brands I see that don't seem to be
made by Funai are Sanyo and Panasonic. Which of those should be more
reliable?

sofie

Often this is a simple repair.... replace the pinch roller and do a thorough
cleaning of the tape path.... obviously this could be other things more
involved but start with the simple and cheap stuff.
Frankly, you are NOT going to be able to purchase a new VCR that is NOT
genuine junk..... no matter what brand it is... so, if it makes monetary
sense, fix up your old vcr.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Yet another tub caulking question (sorry!) -this time about color MAG Home Repair 1 August 2nd 04 02:52 AM
new foundation question oreo123 Home Repair 11 July 20th 04 10:41 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM