Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to Apply the Last Coat of Poly for a Dining Table Top?

I would like to know a good way to apply the last coat of poly on a
dining table top.

I am almost done with re-finishing the dining table top. I have
painted many coats of poly, and sanded it many times. Now, the table
top is very smooth. After I have applied a coat of poly with a natural
bristle brush or a foam brush, I find that the surface in general is
very smooth -- but there are too many little bubbles. Using a rag is
better; but I still get enough bubbles that I want something better.
Spraying poly from a spray can is good; but the surface feels very
grainy, not glossy smooth at all.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jay Chan

Posted to rec.woodworking

Have you considered a wipe-on poly? Try thinning your poly 50/50 and
wiping it on with a lint-free rag or paper towel. The goal is a VERY
thin rubbed-in coat, almost like an oil finish.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, wrote:
I would like to know a good way to apply the last coat of poly on a
dining table top.

I am almost done with re-finishing the dining table top. I have
painted many coats of poly, and sanded it many times. Now, the table
top is very smooth. After I have applied a coat of poly with a natural
bristle brush or a foam brush, I find that the surface in general is
very smooth -- but there are too many little bubbles. Using a rag is
better; but I still get enough bubbles that I want something better.
Spraying poly from a spray can is good; but the surface feels very
grainy, not glossy smooth at all.

What should I do?

Thin the poly and let it stand for a while before applying (time
for the bubbles to rise). I've had good success with the Wooster
foam brushes.

After a day or three, you can rub out the inevitable minor
imperfections with some combination of:

* 0000 steel wool
* Wet sanding. Maybe 600 grit all the way to 1500-2000
* Pummice stone and then rotten stone
* Automotive rubbing compound and then automotive polishing compound

I like the effect that I get with 0000 steel wool which is quick
and easy. That should be totally smooth but not very shiny. If you
want a high gloss you'll have to try some of the other options.

In any event, I think you'll get to desired state of perfection
by rubbing, and rubbing... The degree of glossiness will be
determined by what material(s) you choose to use for that rubbing.

Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to know a good way to apply the last coat of poly on a
dining table top.

I am almost done with re-finishing the dining table top. I have
painted many coats of poly, and sanded it many times. Now, the table
top is very smooth. After I have applied a coat of poly with a natural
bristle brush or a foam brush, I find that the surface in general is
very smooth -- but there are too many little bubbles. Using a rag is
better; but I still get enough bubbles that I want something better.
Spraying poly from a spray can is good; but the surface feels very
grainy, not glossy smooth at all.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jay Chan

I was in Paxton Lumber yesterday (local hardwood dealer) and I overheard the
sales rep on the phone talking to a noob. He told him that poly should never
be used on furniture, only on floors...

I thought that was a strange thing to tell a customer...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Locutus" writes:
I was in Paxton Lumber yesterday (local hardwood dealer) and I
overheard the sales rep on the phone talking to a noob. He told him
that poly should never be used on furniture, only on floors...

Hmmm... I prefer floor-grade poly on my furniture, too. I figure,
anything designed to be walked on can stand some abuse.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DJ Delorie wrote:

Hmmm... I prefer floor-grade poly on my furniture, too. I figure,
anything designed to be walked on can stand some abuse.

Try Gymseal once, and you'll ditch poly forever.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I had tiny bubbles in my dried poly. I looked through a jewelers magnifying
loupe. Yup, bubbles. Thought it might be sand or dirt, or dust. They were
half in and half out, but I could neither brush them out or sand them out.
I am sure that there are scientific words, and a possible explanation and
solution. I don't have them. I could not block sand the bubble in half,
without destroying the surrounding area. And subsequent coats would have
same anyways. It would have left concave half pitts if sanding was
possible. so there they are. Too deep to ignore, and not raised enough to
even half fix!! Don't know what I did wrong or not right. it was inside of
drawers, and the right finish, so what are you gonna do.

I personally think the only solution is not to get them in the first place.
I used a new purdy brush, probably coated the brush with solvent and ficked
off. May have forgot, not sure. Don't think I thinned first or any coat
(3) because the can does not mention it. It was spar, not hard type cause I
had it already.

I can only guess that a little thinner may have been the solution. And
maybe not in the order of 10% which may be too much. Could be as low as 1%.
I think experimentation is in order. I think this applies to all coats, and
don't know if more thinner on the first coat as primer is needed, whether or
not the can says so. NB i did poly outdoors once in high temp and very high
humidity, and the water got right into the finish and it went white, like
milk paint. Next tiem, snaded down, not to wood, and it was gone, gone. I
think you could tell you had sanded it all out. Yes it was that dramatic.

For arguments sake, has anybody done a descent job of poly with w/ a brush,
or foam without bubbles. Simple ya, na is sufficient. If speciically so,
was it thinner, and how much?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message

Thin the poly and let it stand for a while before applying (time
for the bubbles to rise). I've had good success with the Wooster
foam brushes.

Dito that. The Wooster foam brushes are remarkable good for this.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Locutus" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Was that the Paxton near Denver, CO? They really have a huge supply of
exotic woods. W W

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "bent" wrote:

For arguments sake, has anybody done a descent job of poly with w/ a brush,
or foam without bubbles. Simple ya, na is sufficient. If speciically so,
was it thinner, and how much?

Yes, oil based poly, thinned quite a bit (maybe 20%) and a
foam brush. Finished with 0000 steel wool and a little wax.
Actually, it was Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane.

No bubble problems visible to the naked eye.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Warren Weber" wrote in message
. ..

"Locutus" wrote in message

I was in Paxton Lumber yesterday (local hardwood dealer) and I overheard
the sales rep on the phone talking to a noob. He told him that poly
should never be used on furniture, only on floors...

I thought that was a strange thing to tell a customer...

Was that the Paxton near Denver, CO? They really have a huge supply of
exotic woods. W W

No, the one in Cincinnati Ohio. Great place for good wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Malcolm Hoar wrote:
In article . com, wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the suggestion of thinning the poly first. I tried that
once. But I didn't wait for the bubbles to go away before using the
mixture. I should have waited long enough for the bubbles to rise.
Next time, I will wait (may be half a day).

Also thanks for the tips of the way to remove the last bits of
imprefection. I will use various fine grit sandpaper to sand the
surface down, and rub the surface with automotive rubbing compound and
then automotive polishing compound. I didn't know that I could use
automotive stuffs on kitchen table. Thanks.

Which grid of sandpaper do you recommend? I already have 400 grit and
600 grit sandpaper. Would you recommend me to sand in this sequence:
400-grit, 600-grit, 1000-grit, 1500-grit

Jay Chan

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to know a good way to apply the last coat of poly on a
dining table top.

I am almost done with re-finishing the dining table top. I have
painted many coats of poly, and sanded it many times. Now, the table
top is very smooth. After I have applied a coat of poly with a natural
bristle brush or a foam brush, I find that the surface in general is
very smooth -- but there are too many little bubbles. Using a rag is
better; but I still get enough bubbles that I want something better.
Spraying poly from a spray can is good; but the surface feels very
grainy, not glossy smooth at all.

What should I do?

Knock the last coat down with 1000 or 1200 grit paper. Don't be afraid to
wet sand. Use a sanding block and take it down until you have an evenly
scuffed surface - no shiny spots. The shiny spots will be low points. Once
you have the surface flat (in both senses of the word), use automotive
rubbing compound and buff it back up to the desired level of shine. If you
use a medium cut compound you should bring the 1200 grit scratches up with
little effort. For a deep, clear, bright shine follow this up with a fine
cut buffing compound.

You can get these rubbing/buffing compounds at any automotive paint supplier
or at many automotive parts stores.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"bent" wrote in message

For arguments sake, has anybody done a descent job of poly with w/ a

brush,
or foam without bubbles. Simple ya, na is sufficient. If speciically so,
was it thinner, and how much?

I spread poly straight up with foam pads. The thing with poly is to spread
it, not paint it. Work poly at all and you introduce air bubbles. I pull
it as evenly as I possibly can across the piece and then I flatten it with
1200 or so and buff back to the shine I want.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeff Jewitt described application of Sherwin Williams Fast Dry Oil
Based Varnish using Viva paper towels in FWW a couple of years ago.
The Viva towels are smooth and don't leave a pattern in the finish. A
1:1 mix of varnish and Naptha, flashes off faster, using plastic
squirt jug and wiping on up to 3 coats a day. Use gloss only to avoid
stripes.

On 08 Dec 2006 12:34:32 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

Have you considered a wipe-on poly? Try thinning your poly 50/50 and
wiping it on with a lint-free rag or paper towel. The goal is a VERY
thin rubbed-in coat, almost like an oil finish.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DJ Delorie wrote:
Have you considered a wipe-on poly? Try thinning your poly 50/50 and
wiping it on with a lint-free rag or paper towel. The goal is a VERY
thin rubbed-in coat, almost like an oil finish.

Thanks for the suggestion of using wipe-on-poly. I have just finished
putting the first coat of wipe-on-poly on the dining table top. It
looks good -- no bubble; but I am putting the wipe-on-poly a bit too
thin. I will put on the second coat a bit thicker, and I am sure the
result will be even better.

Last time when I tried thinning poly with thinner, I still got bubbles.
I probably didn't thin it enough. The wipe-on-poly from the can is
already properly thinned. That is the reason why it works fine this
time; but didn't work last time when I thinned the poly myself.

Wipe-on-poly is great. But now I understand why people want to rub the
finish instead of relying on wipe-on-poly. Soon after I have put on
the wipe-on-poly, I start seeing a few dusts landing on the wet
surface. Sigh... Having said this, I will stick with wipe-on-poly for
now instead of rubbing the finish. The reason is that I need to have
the table ready for X'mas dinner. If I wanted to rub-in the finish, I
would need to wait one month for the poly to completely hardened before
I can start rubbing in order to achieve a high gloss finish (according
to a book on wood finishing). I don't have one month to wait. Anyway,
after a few years of hard use by my kids, I am sure I will need to
refinish the dining table. At that time, I will try rubbing the
finish.

Thanks again for the many good suggestions people have offered here.

Jay Chan

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sherwin Williams Fast Dry Oil Based Varnish thinned 1:1 with Naptha
and wiped with Viva paper towel, smooth surface towel, allows three
coats a day and dries fast! Fast dry reduces the falling dust
particles impact.

On 10 Dec 2006 19:04:38 -0800, wrote:

DJ Delorie wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

DJ Delorie wrote:
writes:
but I am putting the wipe-on-poly a bit too thin.

No such thing. Try 2-3 coats if you think it's "not enough".

Last time when I tried thinning poly with thinner, I still got
bubbles. I probably didn't thin it enough.

Nope, way too thick, and you're probably still wiping it on, not
rubbing it on.

but didn't work last time when I thinned the poly myself.

50/50 ?

Soon after I have put on the wipe-on-poly, I start seeing a few
dusts landing on the wet surface.

Not thin enough. When I do wipe on poly, the coat is so thin it's
almost dry when I'm done rubbing (like oil, you wipe off any excess,
then rub the remainder in until it's dry-ish). It takes 10 coats to
get a sufficient finish, and even that "looks" thin when I'm all done.

Note that when I say "rubbing" I mean... what I do is dip a corner of
a folded paper towel into the poly, and rub the towel over the wood.
I rub firmly - I'm definitely rubbing the poly into the grain, not
just wiping a layer of poly on. This physical rubbing is what avoids
the bubbles, not just the thinness of the poly.

I don't mean I'm polishing the coats after they dry. I never do that.

What you have suggested is totally different from what the instruction
on the can of wipe-on-poly says. This really makes me interested.

Seem like you are rubbing in the poly wet, instead of rubbing the
dry/hardened poly. May I ask you the following questions:

If I understand you correctly, you rub the wipe-on-poly until it is dry
instead of waiting the poly to dry naturnally, right? And this is the
key to reduce the chance of getting dusts on the surface, right?

How soon do you put on the next coat? Do you wait for the poly to
completely hardened and then light-sand it, and then rub in the next
coat? Do you immediately put on the next coat right after you have
rubbed in the wipe-on-poly to dry? How long does 10 coats of doing
this take you?

Does this work on a surface that has already had 6 coats of poly and is
completely flat and smooth and no wood grain?

How does the finish look after 10 coats of your way of rubbing in the
wipe-on-poly? Should I expect to see a semi-gloss finish or a gloss
finish assuming that I am using clear-gloss wipe-on-poly?

Sorry for that many questions. But I have never heard about this way
of applying wipe-on-poly, and this way seems to be very promising.

Thanks in advance for any further info about this way of applying
wipe-on-poly.

Jay Chan

Posted to rec.woodworking

Someone update this, I wanna know how it worked out!
Take some pictures too!

Posted to rec.woodworking

" writes:
Someone update this, I wanna know how it worked out!
Take some pictures too!

I don't know about the other person's project, but I'm working on a
top for a pair of corner cabinets for our dining room, and so far
they're coming out OK. The things I noted while I was doing it:

I only use the first 1/4" or so of the brush. Very little poly, thin
coats, the brush almost feels "dry" by the time I re-dip. I ended up
using half as much poly as the can says to expect.

The dryer brush near the end of each dip-brush cycle seems to be
better at getting rid of the bubbles.

Even though the slabs are hanging vertically, there are no runs :-)

Also, I'm using the SLOWEST drying poly they offer - one coat per day.
The fast drying stuff seems to not give the poly time to settle, time
for the bubbles to pop, etc. It also seemed to run more, and the runs
dried before they could flatten out.

My coating schedule: two coats super fast drying sanding sealer (hey,
I'm going to sand the bumps out anyway) to seal the pores. I almost
sanded back down to wood, but this is red oak so there's plenty of
sealer left in the pores. Next, two thin coats of slow-drying gloss
poly (the first was today), followed by a coat of satin. If I need
to, I'll do a 50/50 coat of satin, rubbed on, after that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sounds kinda like how I do floors... it takes forever.

I use a synthetic bristle brush and thin the poly to 50/50. the first
coat is really sparse and is absorbed by most of the white oak, then
apply another coat of 50% gloss poly / 50% thinner... starts to look
better.

Then sand with 400 grit paper, then put a final coat of about 30% poly
/70% thinner on top. This leaves a pretty good finish, but it takes
FOREVER to get rid of all the bubbles, and you've gotta use a very very
strong flashlight and put your cheek on the floor to see them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Sounds kinda like how I do floors... it takes forever.

And, you cannot get to use the room... This should give you a lot of
incentive to finish the job quickly.

I use a synthetic bristle brush and thin the poly to 50/50. the first
coat is really sparse and is absorbed by most of the white oak, then
apply another coat of 50% gloss poly / 50% thinner... starts to look
better.

Then sand with 400 grit paper, then put a final coat of about 30% poly
/70% thinner on top. This leaves a pretty good finish, but it takes
FOREVER to get rid of all the bubbles, and you've gotta use a very very
strong flashlight and put your cheek on the floor to see them.

The parts that I don't quite understand a

o Why there are many bubbles if you have already thinned the poly
significantly? I got bubbles only when I lightly thinned the poly.
When I use the wipe-on-poly (that I believe is thinned to 50/50), I
don't have any bubble.

o How exactly did you manage to remove the bubbles after they were
already there? This is the part that I really want to know in case
next time when I need to high build the finish for rubbing finish.

By the way, last night I applied three coats of wipe-on-poly on the
dining table. That process took much longer than I thought because the
temperature in my unheat basement is not high; therefore, the
wipe-on-poly took much longer than I had planned to dry enough for me
to apply the next coat. As of the result... Good enough for my own
use, but not good enough as something that I can be proud of. Even
after running the air cleaner for a couple hours, I still have dusts on
the surface here and there. Moreover, the sheen is still not even.
But it is good enough for the intended purpose; therefore, I will stop
the project right here. Next time if I need to create a show-piece, I
will definitely try rubbing the finish.

Jay Chan

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in news:1166031265.407511.211760
@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com:

wrote:
Someone update this, I wanna know how it worked out!
Take some pictures too!

Not sure if you are addressing to me or to DJ Delorie.

Anyway, I haven't applied the final coat of wipe-on-poly yet because I
was waiting for DJ Delorie's reply on his method of rubbing
wipe-on-poly. Well, I guess he is not going to reply, and I will have
to use another method that I found in this newgroup, and I will do this
in this evening:

o Yesterday, I sanded the surface down very smooth to remove the
dusts
that landed on the coat of wipe-on-poly that I applied the other
day.

o This evening, I will run the air cleaner for one hour to remove all
the dusts.
Then, I will apply two thin coats of wipe-on-poly on the surface
in
quick succession. I plan on waiting for one hour between coats to
let
the poly to dry to touch before applying the second coat. I will
_not_
sand between coats. After two coats, I will wait another hour and
then
use wipe-on-poly to touch up areas that are not shiny -- again, no
sanding before applying wipe-on-poly to touch up.

Hope this will finish this refinishing project that has been going on
for one month.

Jay Chan

FWIW Jay. After you run the air cleaner, let the shop stay still for two
days. This time will give the dust that was circulated by the air cleaner
time to settle. Make certain that you use a tack cloth before the next
coat.
Hank
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Sound like I started putting on the last coat too soon after I had run
the air cleaner. And wipe-on-poly didn't dry that fast in the unheated
basement. These two factors resulted with me having dusts on the wet
wipe-on-poly.

I will not correct this until X'mas is over and I can leave the poly
some time to completely hardened (let's say one month). Then, I plan
to light sand it and try rubbing finish. Hopefully, this will be good
enough. But if I end up sanding through the three coats of thin
wipe-on-poly, I may have to apply a thick coat of poly and wait another
month and try rubbing finish again.

Jay Chan

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I'm a little puzzled as to why you're having to put this much work into
wipe-on polyurethane. Just sand smooth, wipe on, let set for the
recommended time, repeat until you're happy with the finish. No elaborate
dust-control measures needed.

Sounds like wipe-on poly just isn't the right finish for you--spend the
$125 for a gallon of precatalyzed lacquer and a Woodcraft HVLP gun. Dries
hard enough to sand in 40 minutes or so, not enough time for it to pick up
much dust, and you can sand and polish it as bright as you want.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I didn't see dusts in the air when I point a spot-light through the air
before I applied the wipe-on-poly. I was quite surpised to see the
amount of dusts that landed on the wet wipe-on-poly. My thinking is
that my two sons running around and jumping around on the floor right
above where the table was (it was in the basement) might have something
to do with the amount of dusts ending up on the table surface -- I am
not very sure.

I also have the same feeling that wipe-on-poly is not the right finish
for me. I am thinking of either using a brush-on-poly or a completely
different finish (that I will put on top of the wipe-on-poly).
Honestly, I am not going to buy or use a HVLP gun because I doubt that
I will have much use of it in other projects. At this point, I am not
sure what type of finish that I will put on top of the wipe-on-poly;
but this is the direction that I likely will go.

Jay Chan