Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default How to Apply the Last Coat of Poly for a Dining Table Top?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to know a good way to apply the last coat of poly on a
dining table top.

I am almost done with re-finishing the dining table top. I have
painted many coats of poly, and sanded it many times. Now, the table
top is very smooth. After I have applied a coat of poly with a natural
bristle brush or a foam brush, I find that the surface in general is
very smooth -- but there are too many little bubbles. Using a rag is
better; but I still get enough bubbles that I want something better.
Spraying poly from a spray can is good; but the surface feels very
grainy, not glossy smooth at all.

What should I do?

Knock the last coat down with 1000 or 1200 grit paper. Don't be afraid to
wet sand. Use a sanding block and take it down until you have an evenly
scuffed surface - no shiny spots. The shiny spots will be low points. Once
you have the surface flat (in both senses of the word), use automotive
rubbing compound and buff it back up to the desired level of shine. If you
use a medium cut compound you should bring the 1200 grit scratches up with
little effort. For a deep, clear, bright shine follow this up with a fine
cut buffing compound.

You can get these rubbing/buffing compounds at any automotive paint supplier
or at many automotive parts stores.

--

-Mike-