Posted to rec.woodworking
Henry St.Pierre Henry St.Pierre is offline

Default How to Apply the Last Coat of Poly for a Dining Table Top?

wrote in news:1166031265.407511.211760
@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com:

wrote:
Someone update this, I wanna know how it worked out!
Take some pictures too!

Not sure if you are addressing to me or to DJ Delorie.

Anyway, I haven't applied the final coat of wipe-on-poly yet because I
was waiting for DJ Delorie's reply on his method of rubbing
wipe-on-poly. Well, I guess he is not going to reply, and I will have
to use another method that I found in this newgroup, and I will do this
in this evening:

o Yesterday, I sanded the surface down very smooth to remove the
dusts
that landed on the coat of wipe-on-poly that I applied the other
day.

o This evening, I will run the air cleaner for one hour to remove all
the dusts.
Then, I will apply two thin coats of wipe-on-poly on the surface
in
quick succession. I plan on waiting for one hour between coats to
let
the poly to dry to touch before applying the second coat. I will
_not_
sand between coats. After two coats, I will wait another hour and
then
use wipe-on-poly to touch up areas that are not shiny -- again, no
sanding before applying wipe-on-poly to touch up.

Hope this will finish this refinishing project that has been going on
for one month.

Jay Chan

FWIW Jay. After you run the air cleaner, let the shop stay still for two
days. This time will give the dust that was circulated by the air cleaner
time to settle. Make certain that you use a tack cloth before the next
coat.
Hank