Posted to rec.woodworking
tr tr is offline

Default removing veneer on dining table top ?

I have an older but good table that has a lot of scratches and 'tears'
on the surface. If I go ahead and replace the veneer...should I sand
the old top of..or...try to l"delamination' it with a heat gun or iron
and then sand the surface smooth ?

Any other ideas/ways to remove old veneer before re-veneering ?

Thanks, TR

Posted to rec.woodworking
SBH SBH is offline

tr wrote:
I have an older but good table that has a lot of scratches and 'tears'
on the surface. If I go ahead and replace the veneer...should I sand
the old top of..or...try to l"delamination' it with a heat gun or iron
and then sand the surface smooth ?

Any other ideas/ways to remove old veneer before re-veneering ?

Thanks, TR

Trying to remove old veneer or formica is more trouble than what it's
worth. But if you have the patience, it can be done with much scraping.
If you want a faster route, you can always sand the top of the veneer
and re-apply a new sheet on top of it. Though, if you already have
chipped veneer, then your only opiton is to remove.