Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dining table seating clearances

Hello,

I'm building a trestle table as a dining table. I'm not using any
leaves. I have a question about seating clearances. I have a book
that says one needs 24" seat center to seat center to acommodate elbows
while eating. This would really push the table size as I'm going to
accomodate three per side and two at the ends. I was hoping that I
could get away with 22". Given that the seating of 8 would be for
holidays with family, I thought the occassional bumping of elbows would
be of no harm.

The chairs themselves are 19.5" wide at their widest point.

Any thoughts?

Matt

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Sit down and hold a 24" piece of something in front of you for
visualization. Damn tight, isn't it. Go ahead and use 22 if you want. A bit
worse but, once you go past a certain point, it doesn't matter.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I'm building a trestle table as a dining table. I'm not using any
leaves. I have a question about seating clearances. I have a book
that says one needs 24" seat center to seat center to acommodate elbows
while eating. This would really push the table size as I'm going to
accomodate three per side and two at the ends. I was hoping that I
could get away with 22". Given that the seating of 8 would be for
holidays with family, I thought the occassional bumping of elbows would
be of no harm.

The chairs themselves are 19.5" wide at their widest point.

Any thoughts?

Matt

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Any thoughts?

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects5.htm
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Trestle2004.pdf

The .pdf has readable measurements. This one seats 8 comfortably: 2 on the
ends, 3 on each side ... it works in actual practice verified by numerous
parties and family gathering the last couple of years.

Let me know if you have any questions.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/19/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

How do you get 3 chairs between the legs of the base (42" on the
print)? I see in the pictures that two places have been set along that
side.

My plan calls for a table top of 90" x 42" which in itself is plenty
but the legs of the base were originally 58" apart which doesn't leave
enough room for three chairs between them.

Matt

Swingman wrote:
wrote in message

Any thoughts?

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects5.htm
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Trestle2004.pdf

The .pdf has readable measurements. This one seats 8 comfortably: 2 on the
ends, 3 on each side ... it works in actual practice verified by numerous
parties and family gathering the last couple of years.

Let me know if you have any questions.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/19/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

My plan calls for a table top of 90" x 42" which in itself is plenty
but the legs of the base were originally 58" apart which doesn't leave
enough room for three chairs between them.

A trestle table doesn't necessarily need room between the "base" for chairs
if the side overhang is sufficient. If you don't have access to a well
designed trestle table, take steps to find one you can sit at.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/19/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

The chairs themselves are 19.5" wide at their widest point.

Any thoughts?

Matt

24" is likely a minimum for polite friendly company. Relatives don't
exactly fit this profile. A lot of them should be seated on the curb
outside, eating out of paper bags. ( we're taking about adults) On
the other hand if you do in fact like them, then give them the 24".

Like a prior post, lay out 4 sticks (4 strips of masking tape) 24 OC
on your current table and get 3 adults to sit between them to get the
feel of good spacing.

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I'm building a trestle table as a dining table. I'm not using any
leaves. I have a question about seating clearances. I have a book
that says one needs 24" seat center to seat center to acommodate elbows
while eating. This would really push the table size as I'm going to
accomodate three per side and two at the ends. I was hoping that I
could get away with 22". Given that the seating of 8 would be for
holidays with family, I thought the occassional bumping of elbows would
be of no harm.

The chairs themselves are 19.5" wide at their widest point.

Any thoughts?

A lot of good advice here but try placing your chars at the spacing you have
indicated and or want and test the fit with people setting in the chairs
You do not need a table for this test.

Some people have a preference of sleeping in a King sized bet some are happy
with a Queen.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

A lot of good advice here but try placing your chars at the spacing you

have
indicated and or want and test the fit with people setting in the chairs
You do not need a table for this test.

You bet ... theory is fine, but there is nothing like a "practicality" test.
You should definitely take into account anticipated "mass of the ass" in
your planning.

Some people have a preference of sleeping in a King sized bet some are

happy
with a Queen.

And some, who have never designed and built a table in their lives, will
tell you how to do it from a formula in a book.

That said, if you have the room, and considering all the fat asses in the
country these days, bigger is always better when it comes to seating.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/19/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

That said, if you have the room, and considering all the fat asses in the
country these days, bigger is always better when it comes to seating.

Something that the airlines have not figured out yet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

A lot of good advice here but try placing your chars at the spacing you

have
indicated and or want and test the fit with people setting in the chairs
You do not need a table for this test.

You bet ... theory is fine, but there is nothing like a

"practicality" test.
You should definitely take into account anticipated "mass of the ass" in
your planning.

Some people have a preference of sleeping in a King sized bet some are

happy
with a Queen.

And some, who have never designed and built a table in their lives, will
tell you how to do it from a formula in a book.

That said, if you have the room, and considering all the fat asses in the
country these days, bigger is always better when it comes to seating.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

It is amazing how close this subject is to finishing out the interior of
a boat.

IMHO, There is absolutely no substitute for building mock-ups.

BTW, the "mass of the ass" factor is something even the automobile
companies are starting to accept.

Lots of people like corvette automobiles.

Me, I can't even fit in one, so for me, it becomes a cute toy for
somebody else.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote

That said, if you have the room, and considering all the fat asses in

the
country these days, bigger is always better when it comes to seating.

Something that the airlines have not figured out yet.

Tell me about it. But maybe they're smarter than we think?

My 6' 205 lb frame sat next to a 5' 6" 250 pound girl on a Continental
Express flight from Little Rock to Houston last Friday evening ... one of
those small "regional" jets, where there are two seats on side of the aisle,
and one on the other.

Although it was a bit cozier than I would have preferred and I prefer
thinner women, she didn't sweat and smelled pretty good, so we managed just
fine thanks to our complementary body geometry:

.... my shoulders are way bigger than my ass, vice versa for her.

I was a bit worried before boarding however, because there was one guy in
line who was obviously going to take up two entire seats and I figured it
would be just my luck one of them would be mine.

I was feeling lucky after that ... until the $60 cab ride home from the
airport.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/19/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Swingman" wrote
That said, if you have the room, and considering all the fat asses in the
country these days, bigger is always better when it comes to seating.

Something that the airlines have not figured out yet.

Sure they have...

A bigger number of seats in the same space is better for the airline.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

[...]

Beats the hell out of 158 bucks to get your truck out of the parking garage
after a 7 day stay that was only supposed to be 2!

question about water stain on wood dining room table KOS Woodworking 3 May 11th 06 10:47 AM
HELP - Refinishing top of dining table Harry Everhart Woodworking 8 March 18th 05 03:03 AM
how to remove a white moisture spot from dining room table ? Jasper Woodworking 18 September 22nd 04 08:54 PM
dining table Jim & Sharon Woodworking 1 April 4th 04 03:01 PM
Extension leaf design for dining room table Melvin P. Schtepner Woodworking 5 March 12th 04 01:39 PM