Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Default Dining table seating clearances

Sit down and hold a 24" piece of something in front of you for
visualization. Damn tight, isn't it. Go ahead and use 22 if you want. A bit
worse but, once you go past a certain point, it doesn't matter.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I'm building a trestle table as a dining table. I'm not using any
leaves. I have a question about seating clearances. I have a book
that says one needs 24" seat center to seat center to acommodate elbows
while eating. This would really push the table size as I'm going to
accomodate three per side and two at the ends. I was hoping that I
could get away with 22". Given that the seating of 8 would be for
holidays with family, I thought the occassional bumping of elbows would
be of no harm.

The chairs themselves are 19.5" wide at their widest point.

Any thoughts?

Matt