Harry Everhart

Default HELP - Refinishing top of dining table

I have a 3 x 5 yellow pine table top. It was damaged in moving - a metal
object was scratching the top for 1000 miles. It scratched up a 6 inch
square pretty badly. We like the table a lot - it has a plain oil
finish. The scratches are too deep to sand out. I need some tips on how
to finish it and make it presentable. I would like to re-stain it and
put a glossy finish over that. We eat three meals a day on this table
and wipe it often - how do I get rid of the deep scratches? I have a
palm sander and tried to sand the scratches out but they are to deep.
dadiOH

Harry Everhart wrote:
I have a 3 x 5 yellow pine table top. It was damaged in moving - a
metal object was scratching the top for 1000 miles. It scratched up a
6 inch square pretty badly. We like the table a lot - it has a plain
oil finish. The scratches are too deep to sand out. I need some tips
on how to finish it and make it presentable. I would like to re-stain
it and put a glossy finish over that. We eat three meals a day on
this table and wipe it often - how do I get rid of the deep
scratches? I have a palm sander and tried to sand the scratches out
but they are to deep.

1. Plane entire table (depending on depth of gouges, you may be able to
use a scraper)
2. Sand entire table
3. Finish
-or-
1. Fill scratches/gouges
2. Sand
3. Finish

Note that filling will never result in a result that matches the rest of
the table top unless you are skilled enough to "paint in" a matching
grain pattern and colors..

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

World Traveler

I'd try an inlay. If the scratches are in the center, I'd use wood chisels
or a router to hollow out a spot the same size as a piece of marble tile,
inset the tile and use it as a focal point, or a hot pad. Or find a
decorative tile design that will look good inset into the top. We have a
20" mosaic tile design inlaid into our kitchen floor tile, so I'd look for
something similar to put into the table top. If the scratches are
off-center, consider additional inlays as necessary if you want symmetry.
Let us know how it works out.

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Harry Everhart wrote:
[...]

Harry Everhart

"dadiOH"
1. Fill scratches/gouges
2. Sand
3. Finish

What should I use to fill the scratches - plastic wood?
Harry
Harry Everhart

"World Traveler" wrote:
I'd try an inlay. If the scratches are in the center, I'd use wood chisels
or a router to hollow out a spot the same size as a piece of marble tile,
inset the tile and use it as a focal point, or a hot pad. Or find a
decorative tile design that will look good inset into the top. We have a
20" mosaic tile design inlaid into our kitchen floor tile, so I'd look for
something similar to put into the table top. If the scratches are
off-center, consider additional inlays as necessary if you want symmetry.
Let us know how it works out.

Thanks for the help - I will let you know what I do.
Harry

nospambob

www.refinishwizard.com or www.homesteadfinishing.com are good forumes
with much help available.

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:59:18 -0500, Harry Everhart
wrote:

I have a 3 x 5 yellow pine table top. It was damaged in moving - a metal
object was scratching the top for 1000 miles. It scratched up a 6 inch
square pretty badly. We like the table a lot - it has a plain oil
finish. The scratches are too deep to sand out. I need some tips on how
to finish it and make it presentable. I would like to re-stain it and
put a glossy finish over that. We eat three meals a day on this table
and wipe it often - how do I get rid of the deep scratches? I have a
palm sander and tried to sand the scratches out but they are to deep.

GerryG

You've gotten several good suggestions here. However, before any of them, I'd
suggest you wet with water and heat steam the scratches. Any wood expansion
you get will make the repair easier.
GerryG

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:59:18 -0500, Harry Everhart wrote:

I have a 3 x 5 yellow pine table top. It was damaged in moving - a metal
object was scratching the top for 1000 miles. It scratched up a 6 inch
square pretty badly. We like the table a lot - it has a plain oil
finish. The scratches are too deep to sand out. I need some tips on how
to finish it and make it presentable. I would like to re-stain it and
put a glossy finish over that. We eat three meals a day on this table
and wipe it often - how do I get rid of the deep scratches? I have a
palm sander and tried to sand the scratches out but they are to deep.

firstjois

GerryG wrote:
You've gotten several good suggestions here. However, before any of
them, I'd suggest you wet with water and heat steam the scratches.
Any wood expansion you get will make the repair easier.
GerryG

[snip]

Yellow pine is harder than regular pine so you may not get the wood to
expand back to something near normal as easily as you would with regular
pine. I'd wet a couple of you least favorite wash cloths and press them
with a cotton-hot iron. Do it a couple of times and then figure you have
the best results you are going to get.

Since you are going to have to mess with the top anyway, try a couple
different brands of wood filler. Some say "stainable" now and one of those
might work best.

Josie

dadiOH

Harry Everhart wrote:
"dadiOH"
1. Fill scratches/gouges
2. Sand
3. Finish

What should I use to fill the scratches - plastic wood?
Harry

Hard for me to suggest one because I generally use white glue and
sawdust. Little glue, lots of sawdust.

But another poster mentioned inserting a tile. That doesn't turn me on
but you could fit a dutchman...a piece of the same wood routed to fit a
female routing in the table. It too will show but if you are careful in
selecting the grain for the dutchman and make a diamond shape inset,
they can be pretty good. Diamond inset so the lines don't cross the top
grain at right angles.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...