Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default Dining table seating clearances

Swingman wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

A lot of good advice here but try placing your chars at the spacing you

have
indicated and or want and test the fit with people setting in the chairs
You do not need a table for this test.

You bet ... theory is fine, but there is nothing like a

"practicality" test.
You should definitely take into account anticipated "mass of the ass" in
your planning.

Some people have a preference of sleeping in a King sized bet some are

happy
with a Queen.

And some, who have never designed and built a table in their lives, will
tell you how to do it from a formula in a book.

That said, if you have the room, and considering all the fat asses in the
country these days, bigger is always better when it comes to seating.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

It is amazing how close this subject is to finishing out the interior of
a boat.

IMHO, There is absolutely no substitute for building mock-ups.

BTW, the "mass of the ass" factor is something even the automobile
companies are starting to accept.

Lots of people like corvette automobiles.

Me, I can't even fit in one, so for me, it becomes a cute toy for
somebody else.