Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default How to Apply the Last Coat of Poly for a Dining Table Top?

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message
In article . com,

wrote:

Which grid of sandpaper do you recommend? I already have 400 grit and
600 grit sandpaper. Would you recommend me to sand in this sequence:
400-grit, 600-grit, 1000-grit, 1500-grit

I'd start with 600 grit. However, I think you'll need wet and
dry paper (if you don't already have it). You will need to
use it wet too. I'd probably try mineral spirits rather than
water. Obviously, you'll want to allow a few days for the
poly to cure fully (esp. during this colder time of year).

I would not use 600 grit at the point - it's too coarse for the work at hand
and will leave scratches too deep. At this point 1200 should be all that is
necessary. 600 is a tooth providing grit and should not be used in the
process of bringing up finishes.

--

-Mike-