Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Worst POS Tool You Ever Bought

Here's my vote: ANY Wagner homeowner's paint sprayer. I bought the
expensive one (The Paint Crew) first and then tried the $100 "Wide
Shot". The sales help in the BORGs know nothing about any of these
products, because, they tell me that Wagner has no reps and nobody to
demonstrate or teach the products to them.

The Owner's Manuals are disgustingly bad but I followed the directions
to the best of my ability. I thinned the (latex) paint to the maximum
allowed by the manufacturer. I strained the paint through a paint
strainer, all just like they said.

First of all "The Paint Crew" couldn't pump the paint at all. Even when
it was thinned per manufacturer's specs. I continued to thin until the
unit could actually pump but by that time, it was so thin that it just
ran right off the work piece. Brought that one back. Got the "Wide
Shot".

This one actually worked with the thinned and strained paint - for
about ten minutes until the first clog. Cleaned out the pickup tube and
got 5 more minutes till the next clog. Cleaned again, got 2 more
minutes. Thoroughly cleaned entire gun of all paint and started up
again. Got 5 more minutes before it clogged again. Gave up, and
returned this POS to the store. They didn't even bother to ask what was
wrong, they just gave me the refund. I am sure these units will be
repackaged and back on a shelf near you within a month. Never Wagner,
ever again!

Chuck

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
Here's my vote: ANY Wagner homeowner's paint sprayer.

You haven't lived then. My Wagner actually works, and isn't bad for the
price.

My PC444 on the other hand... If it was $10 I would say fine, but not for
$100.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
Here's my vote: ANY Wagner homeowner's paint sprayer. I bought the
expensive one (The Paint Crew) first and then tried the $100 "Wide
Shot". The sales help in the BORGs know nothing about any of these
products, because, they tell me that Wagner has no reps and nobody to
demonstrate or teach the products to them.

I have foolishly bought 3 different Wagner products over the last 25 years.
I agree, If it has the name Wagner on it, it is probably not going to please
you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

wrote in message
ps.com...
Here's my vote: ANY Wagner homeowner's paint sprayer. I bought the
expensive one (The Paint Crew) first and then tried the $100 "Wide
Shot". The sales help in the BORGs know nothing about any of these
products, because, they tell me that Wagner has no reps and nobody to
demonstrate or teach the products to them.

I have foolishly bought 3 different Wagner products over the last 25
years. I agree, If it has the name Wagner on it, it is probably not going
to please you.

I recently purchased the Wagner Paint Eater to take paint off of siding.

Worked GREAT.

Posted to rec.woodworking
gw gw is offline

wrote in message
ps.com...
Here's my vote: ANY Wagner homeowner's paint sprayer.

Must be the new stuff. I have 2 Power Painters that work great. Painted 2
houses and stained another one with them. Had to thin latex some, but not a
whole lot. Did you thin with Floetrol?

My worst purchase was a DeWalt jigsaw. To replace my old (back when they
weren't crap) B&D jigsaw. Completely useless. Start a cut, the blade jams in
the wood, and the saw reciprocates up and down on the wood. Yes, I tried
different blades. Solved it with a Bosch. Next in line would be the Delta 9"
bandsaw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:14:51 -0400, "gw" wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Here's my vote: ANY Wagner homeowner's paint sprayer.

Must be the new stuff. I have 2 Power Painters that work great. Painted 2
houses and stained another one with them. Had to thin latex some, but not a
whole lot. Did you thin with Floetrol?

My worst purchase was a DeWalt jigsaw. To replace my old (back when they
weren't crap) B&D jigsaw. Completely useless.

Years ago I bought a BIG top of the line Craftsman jigsaw that was absolute
crap. It vibrated so badly it was useless, and kept shearing off a tiny pin
inside that kept the head connected to the motor . It was HUGE but just like
using a $29 cheapie.
Then a couple years ago I decided to buy a Craftsman belt sander. It's useless
with course 50-80 grit paper because it won't track them once they contact to
wood and runs the paper into the housing chewing it up.
Never again...

Bought the Mastercrap Spinsaw, thought it might be handy cutting electrical box
holes in plywood that went back a day later.

Start a cut, the blade jams in
the wood, and the saw reciprocates up and down on the wood. Yes, I tried
different blades. Solved it with a Bosch. Next in line would be the Delta 9"
bandsaw.

My Bosch jigsaw is one of the best tools I've ever bought.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I bought a Wagner power roller many years ago. Pre-use setup and
post-use cleaning took way longer than any time it might have saved in
the rolling process. Plus, the infernal noise of the compressor running
almost constantly left me with ringing ears and a splitting headache.

I couldn't sell it at three garage sales.... but the insurance company
finally paid for it when Hurricane Katrina flooded my house!
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Charlie M. 1958" wrote:
I bought a Wagner power roller many years ago. Pre-use setup and
post-use cleaning took way longer than any time it might have saved in
the rolling process.

There's a problem in general with almost all gadgets that are intended to make
painting faster: they're speeding up the wrong part of the process. _By_far_
the most time-consuming aspect of doing a proper paint job is the prep work:
patching, washing, scraping, sanding, masking, etc. The actual application of
the paint goes quickly by comparison.

Plus, the infernal noise of the compressor running
almost constantly left me with ringing ears and a splitting headache.

No ear protection?

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:08:27 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Here's my vote: ANY Wagner homeowner's paint sprayer. I bought the
expensive one (The Paint Crew) first and then tried the $100 "Wide
Shot". The sales help in the BORGs know nothing about any of these
products, because, they tell me that Wagner has no reps and nobody to
demonstrate or teach the products to them.

I have foolishly bought 3 different Wagner products over the last 25 years.
I agree, If it has the name Wagner on it, it is probably not going to please
you.

On the airless sprayers I agree, but I got a HVLP Wagner which for a
$100 was a bargain (spraying fencing was it first job).

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618
Posted to rec.woodworking

Never tried any Wagner. I've borrowed a professional ($800) paint
sprayer from a neighbor, and it works GREAT.

My vote: A cheap Sears router (1/2 or 3/4 HP) from the early 90s.
Height adjustment is done with a plastic ring that's clamped onto the
base, and goes all the way around the motor. The motor itself is in a
plastic housing, and has a spiral plastic thread that engages the
height adjustment ring - or not, depending on the phase of the moon.
And the height adjustment ring isn't tight, so it spins around by
itself. All this gives rise to ...

ARHA - a feature available only on Sears routers:

Automatic
Random
Height
Adjust

--
The address in the header is invalid for obvious reasons. Please
reconstruct the address from the information below (look for _).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

Plus, the infernal noise of the compressor running
almost constantly left me with ringing ears and a splitting headache.

No ear protection?

Only used it once - would have definitely worn ear protection the second
time. As I recall, there was no mention of that in the instructions -
the compressor was only supposed to run intermittently. But the thing
didn't seal properly - that was another problem.

But, alas, taking the drudgery out of painting is a much more elusive
goal than building a better mousetrap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Markem" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:08:27 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's my vote: ANY Wagner homeowner's paint sprayer. I bought the
expensive one (The Paint Crew) first and then tried the $100 "Wide
Shot". The sales help in the BORGs know nothing about any of these
products, because, they tell me that Wagner has no reps and nobody to
demonstrate or teach the products to them.

I have foolishly bought 3 different Wagner products over the last 25
years.
I agree, If it has the name Wagner on it, it is probably not going to
please
you.

On the airless sprayers I agree, but I got a HVLP Wagner which for a
$100 was a bargain (spraying fencing was it first job).

My experience was that the product works great the first time. After that
they never worked correctly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

: If you want/need a decent but not terribly expensive spray unit, try
: the lower-range Grayco that HD sells (or at least did a couple years
: ago--haven't been back to see since it's 2-hr drive to get to one).
: Have done the entire barn and house w/ oil primer and latex topcoat w/
: no problems. Wasn't cheap, but not terribly expensive, either. About
: $200-250 iirc...

I bought the next one up, which was either $299 or $399. Terrific
tool -- painted a whole house interior faster than I would have thought
possible, and pretty easy cleanup IF you follow the directions to a T.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Charlie M. 1958" wrote:

But, alas, taking the drudgery out of painting is a much more elusive
goal than building a better mousetrap.

I don't find painting to be drudgery at all -- I enjoy it. Painting is fun.
It's the *prep* work that sucks. *That's* drudgery. That, and cleaning up
afterward.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Charlie M. 1958" wrote:
But, alas, taking the drudgery out of painting is a much more elusive
goal than building a better mousetrap.

I don't find painting to be drudgery at all -- I enjoy it. Painting is fun.
It's the *prep* work that sucks. *That's* drudgery. That, and cleaning up
afterward.

That's exactly what I meant, Doug. Guess I wasn't quite clear.
Posted to rec.woodworking

A metal bender from Harbor Freight - First and last time I'll shop at that
junk shop.
After getting the bender home, after assembling, it broke the first time I
pulled on it. Returned it, second one snaped in the same place. Returned
it, third one, same snap. Tossed it.

Best tools - Lie-Nielsen planes/chisels - Snap-on hand tools.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:34:45 -0700, "Teamcasa" wrote:

A metal bender from Harbor Freight - First and last time I'll shop at that
junk shop.
After getting the bender home, after assembling, it broke the first time I
pulled on it. Returned it, second one snaped in the same place. Returned
it, third one, same snap. Tossed it.

Well at least you didn't go blind...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 12, 5:13 pm, wrote:
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:34:45 -0700, "Teamcasa" wrote:
A metal bender from Harbor Freight - First and last time I'll shop at that
junk shop.
After getting the bender home, after assembling, it broke the first time I
pulled on it. Returned it, second one snaped in the same place. Returned
it, third one, same snap. Tossed it.Well at least you didn't go blind...

STOPPIT you guys... I'm laughing so hard it hurts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2006/10/12 2:49 PM, "
wrote:

Never tried any Wagner. I've borrowed a professional ($800) paint
sprayer from a neighbor, and it works GREAT.

My vote: A cheap Sears router (1/2 or 3/4 HP) from the early 90s.
Height adjustment is done with a plastic ring that's clamped onto the
base, and goes all the way around the motor. The motor itself is in a
plastic housing, and has a spiral plastic thread that engages the
height adjustment ring - or not, depending on the phase of the moon.
And the height adjustment ring isn't tight, so it spins around by
itself. All this gives rise to ...

ARHA - a feature available only on Sears routers:

Automatic
Random
Height
Adjust

Don't forget that collet that either releases the bit while you are routing
or seizes up you have rap the bit with a hammer to loosen it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Valley corner-rounding gadgets (only things that cut worse than a
#45)

Lee Valley scraper plane insert for a #4 (just not rigid enough)

Japanese "saw rasp" from Axminster. Works beautifully on builder's
insulation foam. So if all you ever work is foam, go get one. Even
better, have mine.

Japanese flush-cutting dowel saw.

Any sander with less than a horsepower behind it.

Eclipse honing guide. Narrow single roller wears a groove in your
stone.

I should point out that the LV tools weren't particularly bad, they
were just particularly noticeable - becauseeverything else works so
well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:24:20 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Markem" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:08:27 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Here's my vote: ANY Wagner homeowner's paint sprayer. I bought the
expensive one (The Paint Crew) first and then tried the $100 "Wide
Shot". The sales help in the BORGs know nothing about any of these
products, because, they tell me that Wagner has no reps and nobody to
demonstrate or teach the products to them.

I have foolishly bought 3 different Wagner products over the last 25
years.
I agree, If it has the name Wagner on it, it is probably not going to
please
you.

On the airless sprayers I agree, but I got a HVLP Wagner which for a
$100 was a bargain (spraying fencing was it first job).

My experience was that the product works great the first time. After that
they never worked correctly.

Don't you love quality control via the customer.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:35:10 -0500, "Charlie M. 1958" wrote:

I bought a Wagner power roller many years ago. Pre-use setup and
post-use cleaning took way longer than any time it might have saved in
the rolling process. Plus, the infernal noise of the compressor running
almost constantly left me with ringing ears and a splitting headache.

My experience with them is just the opposite. A former neighbor had one of these things many years
ago. His retirement scheme in the late 80's during the turndown was to buy up cosmetically
challenged homes, fix them up, and then rent them to make the loan payment. I helped him paint 5 or
6 houses with this tool, and it performed flawlessly (except for one unforgettable burst hose caused
by a nicked hose).

The Power Roller is a great tool. It will really let you put on the paint - a gallon in 15 minutes
if you work hard at it. Virtually no dripping once you get the hang of it.

The efficiency trick is to paint all rooms and ceilings the same color - off white. It takes the
better part of an hour to do a good cleanup job. Not a tool I would reach for to paint one room,
but to paint an empty house all the same color? You bet. It would be my first choice.

Regards,
Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have to agree with you on that one. Mine fell apart about 1' into a cut
and even Hercules couldn't tighten the cheap screws enough to make it hold
its height. The POS didn't even last one project. I consider it the worst
Christmas gift ever.

But the most worthless I have is a Crapsman detail sander. The head vibrates
so much side to side that it will ruin your work instead of sanding it. Took
me 3 hours to fix a 1 minute use of it. I gonna feel bad for the person that
buys it in a garage sale.

Allen

My vote: A cheap Sears router (1/2 or 3/4 HP) from the early 90s.
Height adjustment is done with a plastic ring that's clamped onto the
base, and goes all the way around the motor. The motor itself is in a
plastic housing, and has a spiral plastic thread that engages the
height adjustment ring - or not, depending on the phase of the moon.
And the height adjustment ring isn't tight, so it spins around by
itself. All this gives rise to ...

ARHA - a feature available only on Sears routers:

Automatic
Random
Height
Adjust

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I bought a re-manufactured Wagner 9150 four years ago. Other than having to
replace the seals this year, it has run great. Don't know if it's
considered a homeowner's paint sprayer, but it is electric and spits out
paint at about 3000 PSI.

Next time look on-line for re-manufactured. The price was more than one of
the cheap-o units, but if you own a painted house with painted buildings
and a stained deck, you'll really appreciate it.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Markem markem
says...
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:08:27 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Here's my vote: ANY Wagner homeowner's paint sprayer. I bought the
expensive one (The Paint Crew) first and then tried the $100 "Wide
Shot". The sales help in the BORGs know nothing about any of these
products, because, they tell me that Wagner has no reps and nobody to
demonstrate or teach the products to them.

I have foolishly bought 3 different Wagner products over the last 25 years.
I agree, If it has the name Wagner on it, it is probably not going to please
you.

On the airless sprayers I agree, but I got a HVLP Wagner which for a
$100 was a bargain (spraying fencing was it first job).

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618

I just finished painting our house with a Wagner PaintCrew, and it seemed to
go pretty good.