Posted to rec.woodworking
Joseph Handy

Default radial arm vs. miter

I was wondering which is the preferred saw for crosscuts the radial arm or
the the compound miter saw. What the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Joseph

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

http://tinyurl.com/pxmpg

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 07:18:00 -0500, "Joseph Handy"
wrote:

I was wondering which is the preferred saw for crosscuts the radial arm or
the the compound miter saw. What the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Joseph

These two saws have their specific strengths and weaknesses. A miter
saw (or chopsaw) is the preferred saw for crosscutting, and probably
more popular due to its portability, accuracy, and cost. A radial arm
saw can cut dados (miter saw can not), but can get out of adjustment
more easily than a miter saw. Some woodworkers claim you can rip on a
radial arm saw, but it is no substitute for a table saw. If I had to
pick between a compound miter and radial arm, I would not hesitate to
pick the miter saw over the radial arm saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Joseph Handy" wrote in message
I was wondering which is the preferred saw for crosscuts the radial arm or
the the compound miter saw. What the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Joseph

More information needed. That question is a lot like, which is a better
mode of transportation, an automobile or minivan?
Given simple and different circumstances either one could be better than the
other.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"Joseph Handy" wrote in message
I was wondering which is the preferred saw for crosscuts the radial arm or
the the compound miter saw. What the advantages and disadvantages of
each?

Joseph

More information needed. That question is a lot like, which is a better
mode of transportation, an automobile or minivan?
Given simple and different circumstances either one could be better than
the other.

A minivan is an automobile.... did you mean to say car?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Joseph Handy" wrote in message
I was wondering which is the preferred saw for crosscuts the radial arm or
the the compound miter saw. What the advantages and disadvantages of each?

MS are quicker to adjust, and possibly more accurate.
RAS have greater capacity (in depth, if not height). It is easier to flip a
big panel over to finish a large cut on a RAS than on a MS. They are
wonderful for dados. They are typically available used at much lower prices
than MS. They "can" be used for ripping, though I wouldn't recommend it.

I just bought a RAS and got rid of my MS. Would have been nice to have
both, but I don't have the room. It really depend (doesn't everything?) on
what you want to use it for. If you will be cutting a lot of miters,
especially compound miters, buy a miter saw. If you will be doing mainly 90
degree cuts, some over 11", buy a RAS.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Locutus" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

A minivan is an automobile.... did you mean to say car?

YES.. thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ

"Toller" wrote in message ...

| "Joseph Handy" wrote in message
| I was wondering which is the preferred saw for crosscuts the radial arm or
| the the compound miter saw. What the advantages and disadvantages of each?
|
| MS are quicker to adjust, and possibly more accurate.
| RAS have greater capacity (in depth, if not height). It is easier to flip a
| big panel over to finish a large cut on a RAS than on a MS. They are
| wonderful for dados. They are typically available used at much lower prices
| than MS. They "can" be used for ripping, though I wouldn't recommend it.
|
| I just bought a RAS and got rid of my MS. Would have been nice to have
| both, but I don't have the room. It really depend (doesn't everything?) on
| what you want to use it for. If you will be cutting a lot of miters,
| especially compound miters, buy a miter saw. If you will be doing mainly 90
| degree cuts, some over 11", buy a RAS.

If you have long miters, (11") buy a Sliding Compound Miter Saw. I have one and it went a long way in replacing my RAS. That and a good table saw completely replace a RAS with functionality to spare.

--
PDQ

Posted to rec.woodworking
Martie in MO

Joseph, you specifically mention crosscutting and no other application.
For crosscutting only, you can't beat a CMS for accurarcy and
portability although you are limited in capacity. I have used both for
a number of years and as with any tool, both have their strengths and
weaknesses. But you only mention crosscutting so I won't address the
vesatility of a RAS. Without knowing what your application willl be,
my recommendation would be to buy a CMS with a 12 inch blade. This
will give you a lot of versatility for easily crosscutting and mitering
stock up to 12 inch width and including 4 X 4 stock. 10" miter saws
are super for smaller stocks but I can tell you from having previously
owned one that you'll be glad you spent the extra bucks to buy a 12"
model. Don't cut corners on price and do your homework - read the
available reviews. Consider that when using a CMS, you'll need
supports on both ends when crosscutting stock where you'll end up a 18"
or more of material (this is added cost). Premium 12" blades ain't
cheap! I wouldn't consider anything less than a very good carbide
tipped blade, depending on your application of course. While a laser
guide isn't an absolute necessity, manufacturers of the better quality
CMS saws are integrating them into their saws. If you can get one, I
would recommend it for ease of use an accuracy. Speaking of accuracy,
both my RAS and miter saw are dead on accurate. Not because they are
made that way, but because I keep them that way. I haven't found a
saw, including my stationary cabinet saw, that doesn't need a minor
tweak every now and then to ensure dead on accuracy - some require them
more frequently than others, even the premium saws. Some just less
than others. CMS or regular MS if moved around a lot, work site to
work site, garage to driveway, etc., will require regular checking and
likely some minor adjusting to ensure their accuracy. When making you
buying decision, keep ease of blade changing and ease of maintenance in
mind.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Joseph Handy" wrote:

I was wondering which is the preferred saw for crosscuts the radial arm or
the the compound miter saw. What the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Joseph

Radial 'ARM' saws should be outlawed. They are extremely dangerous.

Nothing like a whirling disc of metal, edge covered in hardened sharp
teeth, then mounting it on a motor then hanging that whole contraption
on some bearings and sliding it all over the place....yummmm... good
thinking! Oh, yes, almost forgot, move it TOWARDS yourself when
cutting...even better!

Posted to rec.woodworking
dustyone

In article ,
"Joseph Handy" wrote:

I was wondering which is the preferred saw for crosscuts the radial arm or
the the compound miter saw. What the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Joseph

Radial 'ARM' saws should be outlawed. They are extremely dangerous.

If radial arms are outlawed, only outlaws will have radial arms.

CB

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article . net,
"CW" wrote:

Bulll****.

That's once!
Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat

The miter saw can be picked up with one hand and carried anywhere.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"Pat" wrote in message
The miter saw can be picked up with one hand and carried anywhere.

You must be pretty damned big then Pat. I've seen mitre saws that are easily
in excess of 50 lbs and as big and whose footprint covers several square
feet in area.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Ba r r y" wrote in message
On 19 Mar 2006 11:11:43 -0800, "dustyone" wrote:

Radial 'ARM' saws should be outlawed. They are extremely dangerous.

Rumpty?

I think Rumpty is up to his ears in a Kitchen Project.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Ba r r y" wrote in message

I'm 6'1", 225, and in excellent shape. I have no problem wheedling
around with full sheets of 3/4" MDF. While it's no RAS, my Delta
miter saw is freakin' heavy for it's size!

I have that saw and I can balance it on the tip of my finger. ;~) It is a
heavy SOG.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Ba r r y" wrote in message

"Pat" wrote:

The miter saw can be picked up with one hand and carried anywhere.

Not my miter saw, unless you're Shrek.

I'm 6'1", 225, and in excellent shape. I have no problem wheedling
around with full sheets of 3/4" MDF. While it's no RAS, my Delta
miter saw is freakin' heavy for it's size!

I'm 6', 205, in 63 year old shape, and could maybe pick up a full sheet of
3/4" MDF with you on the other end, but I can't remember whether I have a
miter saw??

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Martie in MO

Wow! You must have had a real bad experience with a RAS Robatoy. I've
had mine for more than twenty years and have used it extensively for
cross-cutting, ripping and dadoing from 1 by stock to 4 X 4 stock and
sheet goods. I've never had an accident with this saw, not because I
was lucky, but because I know how to use it and because I strictly
adhere to and follow the correct procedures when using it. Safety
first!!! For example,why would you pull the saw into the stock toward
you rather than pushing it into the stock away from you which is the
preferred and safe method? I don't know of any power tool, electric or
pneumatic, that is inherently safe since they are all capable of
injuring, maiming or even killing a careless or unqualified user.

Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

On 20 Mar 2006 12:14:32 -0800, "Martie in MO"
wrote:

...because I know how to use it and because I strictly
adhere to and follow the correct procedures when using it.

Doesn't sound like it to me. See below.

For example,why would you pull the saw into the stock toward
you rather than pushing it into the stock away from you which is the
preferred and safe method?

Uh, I don't know where you learned to use a RAS, but you always pull
the carriage through the stock (on crosscuts--rips, obviously, are
done with the carriage locked in position). It is potentially
extraordinarily dangerous to try and work with a RAS by pushing the
carriage through the work.

Now, if you're secretly Bruce Johnson in disguise, then you're
probably talking about a SCMS, with which many people do push the
carriage through the work. The HUGE difference between the two that
not only makes it possible, but even safe, with the SCMS is because
you can lift the blade to pull the carriage over the work before
pushing it down and back through the cut.

By the way, don't take my word for this--look at virtually any book or
instruction manual for a radial arm saw published in the last 50 years
to verify what I've said. Wally Kunkel's book is a good example. I can
scan and email the details from my users manual for my 1972 Sears RAS
if you'd like.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Martie in MO" wrote in message
ups.com...
Wow! You must have had a real bad experience with a RAS Robatoy. I've
had mine for more than twenty years and have used it extensively for
cross-cutting, ripping and dadoing from 1 by stock to 4 X 4 stock and
sheet goods. I've never had an accident with this saw, not because I
was lucky, but because I know how to use it and because I strictly
adhere to and follow the correct procedures when using it. Safety
first!!! For example,why would you pull the saw into the stock toward
you rather than pushing it into the stock away from you which is the
preferred and safe method?

Because that is the correct way to cut wood on a RAS. The saw can lift the
wood up as you push it. And DO NOT think that because you have not had an
accident yet is strictly because you adhere to what ever safety rules that
you follow. Following safety rules guarantees nothing.

I don't know of any power tool, electric or
pneumatic, that is inherently safe since they are all capable of
injuring, maiming or even killing a careless or unqualified user.

Or any one else for that matter. If you think you can prevent all accidents
that could possibly happen you simply are not old enough yet to understand
how wrong you are.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"LRod" wrote in message

Now, if you're secretly Bruce Johnson in disguise, then you're
probably talking about a SCMS, with which many people do push the
carriage through the work.

And he thinks a SCMS is a RAS. That parallels the thinking that a ladder in
the back of my pick-up truck makes it a ladder truck for the fire
department.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Martie in MO

After re-reading my post in your reply LRod, I'm in total agreement
with what you're saying. One of those classic cases of thinking one
thing and saying another. I should have reread my post before sending
it rather than watching TV while responding to Robatoy's post. I was
indeed referring to the correct method of sawing stock with a SCMS
rather than a radial arm which does indeed require that you to pull the
carriage through the stock. I'm a little embarrased by my faux pas and
absolutely stand corrected. Thanks!!!

Oh, and by the way, I'm not secretly Bruce Johnson in disguise.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Martie in MO

I'll be the first to admit my error - see my reply to LRod. But let me
address your other comments as I have read some of your posts and you
seem to be a knowledgeable person. Whenever I use a power tool, I am
very aware of my environment and of the risks that are inherent with
each tool I use, as I hope you are. Those risks are minimized, albeit
not totally eliminated, by knowing how to operate your equipment
safely, knowing, respecting and using a tool for its intended use,
wearing the proper safety equipment, dressing properly, not allowing
yourself to be distracted when using a tool, etc. I never turn on a
power toll wondering if I'm going to be lucky and not get injured while
using it. I fully expect to complete the job at hand successfully and
SAFELY because I make a point of thinking about the safe use of the
tool. Most accidents in the shop, that are not the result of something
totally out of a person's controle, are caused by an act of
carelessness. Minimizing that carelessness by employing and following
safety rules absolutely has contributed to my safety record in my shop.
No where did I state that following safety rules gurantees anything or
that I can prevent ALL accicents that could possibly happen to me. So
please don't take my comment out of context.Can I prevent an accident
from occurring. You bet I can if it is something that I have control
over. If I can't, I have no business turning on that power switch.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob

I don't know if I'm lucky but I own both a Delta compound miter saw
and an old 1949 Rockwell 6" radial arm saw that my grandfather
earned a living with...using it to rip, crosscut, and dado with. Gramps
was buried with all ten still attached. This is a very well made solid
saw that is so much smoother in operation than any low cost units
for sale today. (minus..no built in electronic brake...takes two or
three minutes to whirl to a stop). However, it still scares me using
stacked dado cutters on it
or for ripping materials with it. I think the unpopularity of the RAS
is for a good reason. I mostly admire the construction of the old saw
and think about gramps whenever I dust it off, but seldom turn it on.

Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 00:42:58 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"LRod" wrote in message
.. .

Now, if you're secretly Bruce Johnson in disguise, then you're
probably talking about a SCMS, with which many people do push the
carriage through the work.

And he thinks a SCMS is a RAS.

That's why I said that. I figured subtlety would reinforce the impact
of the point.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"LRod" wrote in message

And he thinks a SCMS is a RAS.

That's why I said that. I figured subtlety would reinforce the impact
of the point.

I think your subtlety may have been too subtle. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Martie in MO" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I will totaly agree with everything you have said up to this point.

No where did I state that following safety rules gurantees anything or
that I can prevent ALL accicents that could possibly happen to me. So
please don't take my comment out of context.

May I repeat your statement,

I've never had an accident with this saw, not because I
was lucky, but because I know how to use it and because I strictly
adhere to and follow the correct procedures when using it.

Now I read that as you believe that your knowledge of safety rules is why
you have never had an accident.
Good luck with that.

Can I prevent an accident
from occurring. You bet I can if it is something that I have control
over. If I can't, I have no business turning on that power switch.

You are as capable of making a mistake or misunderstanding a particular
hazard as anyone else. Just as easily as commenting that you push the blade
into the work on a RAS. You knew better but you came out with a quick
answer or misinterpreted a post. We really don't have as many accidents
when we pay attention but we all have accidents because none of us are 100%
focused 100% of the time. I have a question for you that I have asked
another poster that has a similar point of view that you do. Have you ever
cut yourself with a knife? Ever? And did you know the safety rules of
handling a knife before you cut your self?

Do not ever assume that your knowledge of a tool will always keep you out of
trouble.

Stay safe. I once believed the way that you do.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Martie in MO" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks. I know I'm not bullet proof and a long way from being perfect.
I do know that I can minimize my risk for injury when I'm in the shop.
I'd be foolish to think that nothing can happen to me. I have the
scars to prove otherwise although they aren't shop related. As a
matter of fact, a couple of them are from sharp knives. In a couple of
months I'll close out the 50's and begin my 6th decade here on this
good planet. My goal, the Good Lord willing, is to be able to share
with my grandkids the joy of woodworking and instill in them the safe
use of shop tools as I did with my sons.

I've enjoyed the dialogue Leon and appreciate your thoughts and
candidness. I'll put this thread to rest now. I'll look forward to
reading other posts from you and other members of this group. I joined
this group to tap the vast storehouse of knowledge that exists so that
I can learn from it and to hopefully share some of my own. I haven't
been disappointed. Stay safe.

I too enjoyed the dialogue Sir and am glad you understand my point. One
cannot be too careful as we are only human. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Leon wrote:
[schnibblalia] Have you ever
cut yourself with a knife? Ever? And did you know the safety rules of
handling a knife before you cut your self?

Heh, I sorta learned those as I went along.

And have the scars to prove it.

er
--
email not valid

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article . com,
"Martie in MO" wrote:

Wow! You must have had a real bad experience with a RAS Robatoy.

I refuse to work with a tool which requires so much attention to safety
that the entire experience becomes laborious. The danger is
disproportionate to what the damn thing does.

Okay... that may be a bit over the top.

I have never had a mishap with a RAS, but read many reports on accidents
which involved RASaws. Locally, an experienced woodworker lost a hand at
the wrist.

Accidents happen to experienced safety-conscious people when the tool
has inherent design flaws which go against the grain of rational
thought. The evil RAS is such a beast.

Micro-surgery is a wonderful development, but the results are 'iffy' at
best. I recall the story of the farmhand in India which had his manhood
ripped off by an alligator whilst bathing in a river. A US medical team,
which happened to be operating near the border grafted the remnants
back, filling in a missing section with tissue grafted from a baby
elephant's trunk. After a period of healing, the farmhand's wife was
quite pleased with the result. The farmhand reported that he was annoyed
that every time he walked across a lawn, the thing would shove a tuft of
grass up his arse.

Posted to rec.woodworking
julvr

I'd like to point out that any argument made here about the safety of
radial arm saws also applies to compound miter saws, so the
discussion is slightly off topic.

When deciding between a miter saw and RAS -- The RAS is more
versitile, whereas the miter saw is more portable, and depending on
the saw, generally cheaper.

If you have a tablesaw, you don't need any of the versatility of the
RAS saw, and a Miter Saw would probably be a better buy. If you
don't you should strongly consider a RAS saw. See the FAQ, section
3.3 for information on RAS saws and Table saws. One thing that is
not mentioned is that it is possible to rip large boards (the kinds
that are are to rip on a RAS) using a circular saw and a jig.

http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/woodfaq_3.html

John