Posted to rec.woodworking
Martie in MO

Default radial arm vs. miter

I'll be the first to admit my error - see my reply to LRod. But let me
address your other comments as I have read some of your posts and you
seem to be a knowledgeable person. Whenever I use a power tool, I am
very aware of my environment and of the risks that are inherent with
each tool I use, as I hope you are. Those risks are minimized, albeit
not totally eliminated, by knowing how to operate your equipment
safely, knowing, respecting and using a tool for its intended use,
wearing the proper safety equipment, dressing properly, not allowing
yourself to be distracted when using a tool, etc. I never turn on a
power toll wondering if I'm going to be lucky and not get injured while
using it. I fully expect to complete the job at hand successfully and
SAFELY because I make a point of thinking about the safe use of the
tool. Most accidents in the shop, that are not the result of something
totally out of a person's controle, are caused by an act of
carelessness. Minimizing that carelessness by employing and following
safety rules absolutely has contributed to my safety record in my shop.
No where did I state that following safety rules gurantees anything or
that I can prevent ALL accicents that could possibly happen to me. So
please don't take my comment out of context.Can I prevent an accident
from occurring. You bet I can if it is something that I have control
over. If I can't, I have no business turning on that power switch.