Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default radial arm vs. miter

"Martie in MO" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'll be the first to admit my error - see my reply to LRod. But let me
address your other comments as I have read some of your posts and you
seem to be a knowledgeable person. Whenever I use a power tool, I am
very aware of my environment and of the risks that are inherent with
each tool I use, as I hope you are. Those risks are minimized, albeit
not totally eliminated, by knowing how to operate your equipment
safely, knowing, respecting and using a tool for its intended use,
wearing the proper safety equipment, dressing properly, not allowing
yourself to be distracted when using a tool, etc. I never turn on a
power toll wondering if I'm going to be lucky and not get injured while
using it. I fully expect to complete the job at hand successfully and
SAFELY because I make a point of thinking about the safe use of the
tool. Most accidents in the shop, that are not the result of something
totally out of a person's controle, are caused by an act of
carelessness. Minimizing that carelessness by employing and following
safety rules absolutely has contributed to my safety record in my shop.

I will totaly agree with everything you have said up to this point.

No where did I state that following safety rules gurantees anything or
that I can prevent ALL accicents that could possibly happen to me. So
please don't take my comment out of context.

May I repeat your statement,

I've never had an accident with this saw, not because I
was lucky, but because I know how to use it and because I strictly
adhere to and follow the correct procedures when using it.

Now I read that as you believe that your knowledge of safety rules is why
you have never had an accident.
Good luck with that.

Can I prevent an accident
from occurring. You bet I can if it is something that I have control
over. If I can't, I have no business turning on that power switch.

You are as capable of making a mistake or misunderstanding a particular
hazard as anyone else. Just as easily as commenting that you push the blade
into the work on a RAS. You knew better but you came out with a quick
answer or misinterpreted a post. We really don't have as many accidents
when we pay attention but we all have accidents because none of us are 100%
focused 100% of the time. I have a question for you that I have asked
another poster that has a similar point of view that you do. Have you ever
cut yourself with a knife? Ever? And did you know the safety rules of
handling a knife before you cut your self?

Do not ever assume that your knowledge of a tool will always keep you out of
trouble.

Stay safe. I once believed the way that you do.